Cornwall Football Forum

Cup tie at Bickland Park tonight-The return of Steve Massey

Friday September 15th.-7-30pm ko

Walter C Parson Funeral Directors (SWPL) League Cup 1st.Round 

Falmouth Town  v  Helston Athletic

Steve Massey returns to Bickland Park tonight bringing his Helston Blues for an eagerly awaited SWPL cup clash.

In form Falmouth completed a league double last season but Helston claimed the early season Dave Gardner trophy and in the only other league cup meeting two seasons ago  the Blues won 3--1 at Kellaway Park.

Taken fro Non League Ma

Falmouth Town 2-0 Helston Athletic (Walter C Parson, South West Peninsula League Cup, 1st Round)
– played at Bickland Park, Bickland Hill, Falmouth from 7.30pm

Att – nudging 200 (h/c); Entry £5, Prog £1; Badge for hemelite at £3 .. cuppa for a £1

Weather – some sharp showers travelling down .. the odd wet shower during the game.

Travel – around 5 hours along A303, A30 and A39 .. with the odd accident and detour seen along the way.
Colours – Town in amber tops with black stripes and black shorts .. Blues in blue tops with white sleeves and white shorts.

Well after the joy of Lydd Town on Wednesday my thoughts turned into the West and another long drive .. arriving in good time at Bickland Park to pop my head over the car park walling to see the iconic main stand sliding off grass bank and kept in place by edge of pitch and dugouts .. with all around waiting for another game .. and me just the fifty years since I first heard of this special place, then living up on the North Devon coast, back then when I was a wee Biddy Boy .. the Town regarded as one of elites, keeping the South West entertained and winning quite a few trophies along the way. It was good to finally arrive and see this ground for myself, in a League Cup encounter against local rival Blues thrown in for good measure.

Having got my bearings in and around the Clubhouse, a warm greeting was found at the turnstile, allowing entry on to the high ground .. sloped stepped paths and covered terraced terrain to the low points, with moss and vegetation on a couple of stepped old terrace, running along the opposite side to main stand .. a few regulars taking their place under side shelter or behind far goal .. most with backs to block walling and car park divide, sheltering from the cool breeze .. the rest on ply decked covered seating, under roof of main stand .. feeling part of the teams as they passed by, walking down from changing rooms within, to enter out on to a soft playable pitch .. a scene set for more of the Non League.

The game was enjoyable .. they always are in these parts .. the SWP League run with precision .. a world apart from the rest .. and the Town setting things off, making early forays, quickly rewarded on 12 minutes, when a break into box allowed for a fine strike into bottom right .. then exchange’s unfolded with end to end attacks .. most hitting netting behind, rather than within the goal .. that was until the 50th minute when a sweeping attack down the right was well controlled and the resulting cross found forward who hit ball into keeper, bounced and rebound placed into left side of net by team mate .. which could of been much more comfortable, if a penalty by Town had not been missed, thus allowing the Blues to battle on but never quite unlocking the host defence .. as the Town were rewarded with a trip up to St Austell next month, when another round of the League Cup unfolds .. lets hope Bickland Park gets many more games and Non League fans travelling through en

tters and copied from the SWPeninsula League site