Cornwall Football Forum

Worst Pitch on a wet windy day??

We are playing Culdrose this weekend down there and it got me thinking <_< is there a worse pitch to play on than Culdrose when it is blowing a gale and pi55ing down with rain?? The surface has always been good but being so open it gets really spoilt by the wind and rain. :c:

there is quite a few grounds in the dutchy league what are bad even when its sunny let alone when it raining and windy!!! thats because of a rubish surface and even they aint even go a changing room and all u want after a game is somewhere to get changed and a shower!!! so ppl can u name the clubs iam on about??? its over 2 u??? :clapper:

The old pitch down at Porthcurno (it's on the edge of a cliff for gods-sake), Sennen's pitch is appalling for wind and extremely open, Halestown IS a disgrace, Goonhavern is not exactly blessed with wind protection, The "far away" pitch at Wendron is extremely exposed, Culdrose is bad on a wintery day, Have played at Trispen in some appalling weather and that was shocking with the 1 in 3 gradiant not helping.

rose like a salmon has a heck of a point about Pendeen aswell.

perranporth can be pretty harsh on a wet windy day but i remember playing at cury once when the wind was so bad every time our keeper took a goal kick cury got a corner goonhavern can be terrible when thw wind blows the wrong way as can aggie but for me culdrose is the worst place to go on a wet windy day

Gwinear Churchtown keepers can kick a ball from one end to the other with the wind against them! pitch would be more suited to 6 a side

Gwinear Churchtown keepers can kick a ball from one end to the other with the wind against them! pitch would be more suited to 6 a side

I was at Falmouth a couple of seasons ago watching Pz reserves v fal. It started off a little drizzly and after a while it got very windy and foggy. Not only could you not see to the other end of the pitch at times, but during the drizzle it was Very windy, the ball was kicked from the goalie into the air and just kept coming back on ourselves. :(

When Troon were in the Combo they had a little wooden and corregated tin shed that would hold about 3/4 people. We were there one year and a gust of wind took it and blew it down around us. We were left standing there and it's the only place where Pz can claim they brought the house down.

In the seasons they were in the league we never had a calm day up there.

Of the grounds in the Combo the worst on a winters day has to be Culdrose. That wind is a killer, even cold on a warm day. Mullion's ground can be just as bad if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Guest Postie Pidge

On a wet and windy day everywhere is pretty bad, especially if you need an extra pair of eyes like me!

Lil-Miss-Cornwall, at least at Falmouth if it's windy and wet there is cover on all for sides that sometimes keeps you dry!

Surprised no one has mentioned Lizard

I remember playing at Lanreath about 5/6 years ago for Grampound in probably the worst conditions I've ever played in. To say that the wind was strong is probably an understatement! It was more like a Hurricane!

Our goal kicks were reaching the edge of our own penalty when kicking against the wind, and the player taking them normally could reach the opposition penalty area on a good day! Having defended against the wind all first half, despite being camped in our own penalty for most of it we looked like we had to go half time at 0-0 until a through-ball from the halfway line nutmegged our keeper! Bizarre! Despite having the wind in the second half Lanreath had one attack and scored!

Awful game, terrible conditions but one that no-one who played in or watched will forget! :D

Guest Peppermint

Interesting list of grounds and obviously Newquay's Mount Wise was going to appear but one note is that with all the games postponed today the Cornwall Senior Cup replay against Foxhole went ahead despite the weather.

Coopsie and more importantly Seahawk - our pitch at Wendron remember is 3rd choice pitch and there are not many clubs who have a 3rd choice pitch of this quality. Some teams may favour this pitch to there first team pitch if it wasnt for the conditions - wind etc ...... which we cant help obviously

We're in Cornwall! The wind comes from the West and there's nothing in the way as far as America. On the wrong day, any ground's going to be pretty horrible.

Played a Sunday Cup game once at RAF Portreath, with 9 players, in "divot strength"* icy wind. At half time, 12-0 down, keeper gone "I've got 'flu", the ref asked us if we wanted to bring on their freezing subs! We did.

*So strong you have to put a divot behind the ball at free kicks to stop it blowing away.

Guest Helston Patriot

It would of been quicker to ask which is the best pitch on a wet and windy day!!

LAst week it was horrid at PZ but Yesterday it was soooooo windy it was unreal.