Cornwall Football Forum

Graham Carey

12 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

baldy you are right and there are pros and cons to Argyle Reserves being in the SWPL  - all of us would have different views and none carrying more weight than the other. 

HOWEVER - the presence of Argyle Reserves in the Prem (it was NOT the same when they joined the West as they played their u18 squad with no fulltime pros), does have a profound knock on effect. They could not care less about their position or silverware / prize funds - but their team selections affects those issues for everyone else. If they happen to field a first team squad on two occasions v Parkway but an u18 team twice v Tavvy, Bodmin and Saltash (by example) - Parkway could finish 5th behind Argyle, Tavvy, Saltash and Bodmin and miss promotion (not that it would work that way but is equally relevant at the other end of the table).

Every team in the SWPL Prem field their best available team - Argyle work to a different set of priorities - it's that that winds supporters up. 

Excellent point, well presented Bobjfh :)

11 hours ago, digger1000 said:

has football changed?when we used to play against the bigger teams/better players my team mates used to get more pumped up for the game and try harder....maybe even try and put in such a great performance that argyle or Falmouth town etc might want  you one day ......Martin gritton was the perfect example of this .....went on to play pro football from nowhere 

That sort of idea works when you're playing the league above in a cup game or something but its a bit different when you've just come from work, travelled up on a tuesday night to Plymouth and found yourselves up against pro players, who's hardest task that day was getting out of bed!

John as a SWPL officer, surely you should be supporting the member clubs that make the league what it is. Its clear that Argyles presence in the league is not good for the integrity of the competition it appears everyone but you can see it.  Derek Adams has said in the past week that he thinks the standard is only good enough to provide players with a game for fitness, They dont care where they come in the league where as for the rest of the teams and players in the league Match day is the biggest day of their week. 

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

...and, if they were not voted in, they would have got in by appealing to the FA!

So you are saying that the Clubs could have voted NO to Argyle's entry and their decision could be overturned by the FA?

Just whose interest is the FA looking out for here - EFL or grassroots? Has the FA been bought by professional football?

5 hours ago, baldy said:

What is the point of an appeals process if the verdict is already known?

The National Leagues System is run by the FA and their decisions are the ones which count; for example, this year the FA will decide ALL promotion/relegation matters from Steps 1 - 7 in ALL Leagues. Two more Step 4 Leagues are to be introduced for the 2018/19 season and, nationally, they have to "create" those 40 extra teams from the Step 5 Leagues (+ those relegated from Step 3). I foresee many unhappy Clubs across the Country who find themselves moved to different Leagues/divisions in order to make the numbers work!

Argyle had already approached the FA before making an application to join the SWPL and probably knew what the outcome would be.

5 hours ago, Hetty said:

John as a SWPL officer, surely you should be supporting the member clubs that make the league what it is. Its clear that Argyles presence in the league is not good for the integrity of the competition it appears everyone but you can see it.  Derek Adams has said in the past week that he thinks the standard is only good enough to provide players with a game for fitness, They dont care where they come in the league where as for the rest of the teams and players in the league Match day is the biggest day of their week. 

Do you have a mandate from all SWPL Clubs to make such sweeping claims. To my knowledge, the League has not had an official approach by any Club to complain about Argyle's presence in the League, nor about their team selection.

Individuals/supporters have every right to express their opinions and I enjoy reading the many, excellent comments which demonstrate a great passion for the game - which I share!

8 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Do you have a mandate from all SWPL Clubs to make such sweeping claims. To my knowledge, the League has not had an official approach by any Club to complain about Argyle's presence in the League, nor about their team selection.

I think that clubs recognise John, the impracticality of actually doing it, they would just be told that there is no choice so why waist peoples time on a path that will get you know where. The only real thing to do is for clubs to get spectators to sign a petition at various grounds. Collate the numbers and forward it all together to SWPL and FA. Whilst this by itself will not change their minds, maybe, just maybe Argyle may show some respect to the clubs in the league. I am not looking up to the sky at the moment - pigs may fall -:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

The National Leagues System is run by the FA and their decisions are the ones which count; for example, this year the FA will decide ALL promotion/relegation matters from Steps 1 - 7 in ALL Leagues. Two more Step 4 Leagues are to be introduced for the 2018/19 season and, nationally, they have to "create" those 40 extra teams from the Step 5 Leagues (+ those relegated from Step 3). I foresee many unhappy Clubs across the Country who find themselves moved to different Leagues/divisions in order to make the numbers work!

Could this affect the SWPL John ? Could it be merged with other clubs in the south west and become a step 5 league ? 

4 hours ago, Hetty said:

Could this affect the SWPL John ? Could it be merged with other clubs in the south west and become a step 5 league ? 

I think it could make promotion to Step 5 an easier task for those Clubs wishing to progress. We'll just have wait for the final FA plans to be revealed - possibly as late as next June! - and see which Clubs are up for longer journeys. When last asked, the majority of SWPL Clubs were not in favour of creating a Step 5 League covering Devon and Cornwall.

There have been discussions with the FA about our unique geographical disadvantage as far as upward promotions are concerned; they understand and appreciate the difficulties this causes. The conversation with the FA about "what is best for us" continues!

Question then. Nathan Blissett was sent off in the St Lukes Bowl last night and is now banned for 3 Argyle first team games. I thought the Pyramid was divided into 3 levels.

How can Carey be sent off in first team but allowed to play in the SWPL but Blissett gets sent off and is banned for EFL games?

4 hours ago, Soccerkid said:

The reason Blissett is banned is the St Luke's Bowl is classed as a 1st team fixture in the FA eyes so therefore is banned from the league hence thr Carey ban is now up and free to play for the 1st team against Doncaster sat 

Oh no its not...what a total farce.....now the Devon FA change their mind. What an absolute shower. http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/devon-fa-say-plymouth-argyles-507462