Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Deacon

The latest CORNISH SOCCER Mag is on its way

Further to the goals listed for Lyke Wort I have now found the following

1999/00 Truro City Reserves 3 League 1 Cup = 4

2000/01 Truro City Reserves 1 League = 1

2001/02 Truro City Reserves 16 League 3 Cup = 19

2002/03 Truro City Reserves 26 League = 26

Still have to do 2003/08 seasons so Luke's  Running Total is 355 plus those missing years. 

Mind you, Dom Pullen has scored 438, plus the goals scored from those missing seasons need to be added on, so I reckon he will be the highest ever goal scorer in the Combo with close too or just over 500 goals. 

Yes, as you say ctb - Dom Pullen can hit the net too. Oh how the game still needs players with big shots and a good sense of direction. Too many shots are blazed over the bar these days. Is this out of haste (probably) or have they never been taught how to shoot properly ? !

On 9/10/2017 at 14:10, cornishteddyboy said:

I blame the ball. With the old ones if you kicked it straight, it went straight, nowadays with the new balls, you kick it straight it goes anywhere! 

Shame - why on earth did they change it so much. I last played a game for charity in 1979. It was no longer the old heavy leather ball, complete with lace etc, and it was fine. With the amount of complaints about this newest ball, especially from goalkeepers, they ought to look into changing it again. 

On 9/12/2017 at 20:03, Tommy Matthews said:

Jeff Astle's family might disagree. He had brain damage that almost certainly was caused be heading an old heavy leather ball. 

I'm not saying we should go back to the old leather ball Tommy. There was at least one type of ball between the old leather one and this ball currently in use. They should have stuck with that one. One thing seems clear from what players are saying, the current ball is not satisfactory and is likely to do anything once it has been kicked, especially if it is struck hard.

Hi Keith I know what you're saying. Some reckon it's too spherical with fewer panels which makes it swerve in all sorts of directions. Don't forget players are striking free kicks straight through the valve which is the hardest part and this also creates swerve. 

I'd take a plastic ball over leather anytime but like you I think the new ones have their own set of issues. 

1 hour ago, Fanfare said:

Great read but I feel Allen (@karaoke) must be getting old. The SWL Cup final between Bodmin and Launceston was in 1996.

It's actually me getting old as well! Allen didn't quote which season it was, but I looked it up and obviously got it wrong by inserting 1995!