Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League Results - Tues 5/9/17

St Day fully deserved their victory tonight but the main talking point(s) was the performance of the Referee. At 0-0 the visiting goalkeeper was 20 yards out of his area and was penalised for deliberate handball with the Helston striker free on goal - not even a yellow card! Thereafter, his inability to apply any sort of advantage (for either side!!) plus missing a stonewall penalty for Helston and any sort of card at all for the Helston CB's shocking tackle (he was on a yellow too) rounded off a bad performance. He obviously knew he was in the wrong when at HT he felt the need to justify himself to the Combo League Representatives in attendance - oh dear! Difference between the 2 teams (apart from the Ref!) on an 'entertaining' night was Johnson who scored twice and was dangerous all game.

Why on earth did he give a free kick then?  The 4 referee's who I was stood next to all to a man said that he got the situation totally wrong - if it was for handball, at the least yellow card, at worst red.  If it wasn't handball, then play on.  After refreshing myself on Law 12, I agree with the 4 referees in the fact that he got it wrong.  Perhaps he should do the same and while he's at it, have a look at the Laws regarding advantage and the penalties for serious foul play.

Everyone should be thankful that they got a ref! I was the assigned referee for this game and received no confirmation of this fixture from the home side. I still didn't know if it was being played until 4pm when I spoke to a mate of mine!! In most cases where no confirmation is received by the appointed referee, that referee is taken off the game with no replacement!!!

Unfortunately, serving in the military can be a ballache - it proved that way when at 1700 yesterday I was told that I was unable to leave air station to take charge of this game due to circumstances beyond my control. I got in touch with as many referees as I could to try and take the stress off the Referee Appointments Secretary (who was going to a game himself). The referee who stepped up to the game did so with extremely short notice and did so without any persuasion - he did this so that both teams got a game. If he made a mistake or two, it happens. At the end of the day, spectators and players see a different game to the referee and ultimately, it is his opinion of law that matters.

You people have to take responsibility for your actions - do you really think that coming on here bleating on about referees is going to encourage more to take up the whistle??!? Referees should come on here and start ribbing the players for all the mistakes they make in the game! Imagine that! Just be appreciative of the fact that you had a referee.

9 minutes ago, B_D said:

Everyone should be thankful that they got a ref! I was the assigned referee for this game and received no confirmation of this fixture from the home side. I still didn't know if it was being played until 4pm when I spoke to a mate of mine!! In most cases where no confirmation is received by the appointed referee, that referee is taken off the game with no replacement!!!

Unfortunately, serving in the military can be a ballache - it proved that way when at 1700 yesterday I was told that I was unable to leave air station to take charge of this game due to circumstances beyond my control. I got in touch with as many referees as I could to try and take the stress off the Referee Appointments Secretary (who was going to a game himself). The referee who stepped up to the game did so with extremely short notice and did so without any persuasion - he did this so that both teams got a game. If he made a mistake or two, it happens. At the end of the day, spectators and players see a different game to the referee and at the ultimately, it is his opinion of law that matters.

You people have to take responsibility for your actions - do you really think that coming on here bleating on about referees is going to encourage more to take up the whistle??!? Referees should come on here and start ribbing the players for all the mistakes they make in the game! Imagine that! Just be appreciative of the fact that you had a referee.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................thought you'd "left" the forum AGAIN????

42 minutes ago, B Manning said:

Bagman, so are you saying as a referee and the 4 other referee`s would automatically caution for a handball offence every time, i think not. You are also forgetting a part of LOAF which states " in the referee`s opinon".

Nobody is saying that a referee would automatically caution a player for a handball offence every time. However in the situation described then the keeper should be cautioned. I do believe that a caution may not be given if the referee deems that the handball wasn't clearly preventing a goal being scored. In the event described then it should be a caution.

1 hour ago, B_D said:

Unfortunately, serving in the military can be a ballache - it proved that way when at 1700 yesterday I was told that I was unable to leave air station to take charge of this game due to circumstances beyond my control. I got in touch with as many referees as I could to try and take the stress off the Referee Appointments Secretary (who was going to a game himself). The referee who stepped up to the game did so with extremely short notice and did so without any persuasion - he did this so that both teams got a game. If he made a mistake or two, it happens. At the end of the day, spectators and players see a different game to the referee and ultimately, it is his opinion of law that matters.

When I used to referee this was also one thing that really frustrated me, not having any contact about the game I was supposed to be taking charge of. In my opinion games should be called off if officials aren't contacted. It would teach clubs to be more efficient.

I have every respect for referees, as ultimately without them there would be no game. However, I think they would have respect from more people if they owned up to mistakes and admitted they got the odd decision or two wrong.

7 hours ago, St Darren said:

why was it a free kick then?

that's what my response would have been anyway 

When the keeper realised he was going to get to the ball to clear it away he pulled his hands into his chest, the player then kicked it at him and the ref said it could his elbow.

6 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

Why on earth did he give a free kick then?  The 4 referee's who I was stood next to all to a man said that he got the situation totally wrong - if it was for handball, at the least yellow card, at worst red.  If it wasn't handball, then play on.  After refreshing myself on Law 12, I agree with the 4 referees in the fact that he got it wrong.  Perhaps he should do the same and while he's at it, have a look at the Laws regarding advantage and the penalties for serious foul play.

I agree I thought it would have been a yellow. On Saturday the oppositions keeper took out our striker very late and was last man, we had a penalty and that was it. Ref said at half time should have gave a yellow which was good on him to admit.

6 hours ago, B Manning said:

Bagman, so are you saying as a referee and the 4 other referee`s would automatically caution for a handball offence every time, i think not. You are also forgetting a part of LOAF which states " in the referee`s opinon".

What is the collective noun for the unusual sight of a bunch (of five?) referees standing around on a touchline? Is it a giggle?

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

if that's the case willy I would say it was accidental and therefore not a free kick. Personally I believe that if your hands are in front of your body then it shouldn't be handball anyway as the ball would hit you

Yea I agree mate so by giving the free kick it's going to give people difference of opinion. The ball actually hit his chest.lol

3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

What is the collective noun for the unusual sight of a bunch (of five?) referees standing around on a touchline? Is it a giggle?

Maybe if players didn't appeal for Handball every time the ball HITS a player on the hand/arm when it its obvious there is  no INTENTION to handle the ball, the true deliberate handballs would be dealt with correctly.

19 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

Perhaps it was you in the middle Mr Manning? 

Yes from previous posts i see that 'Mr Manning' is the referee from that evening, Paul Roberts, he has been around for some time i gather and reached Level 3 i think? 

As for you Bagman, AKA Richie Full, you yourself recently served a 5 game ban didn't you? what was this for? dont take your own personal frustrations out on this man, you'd thought you'd learnt your lesson by now that Helston AFC do not want this sort of publicity, hence your current position (or lack of), we all make mistakes young man, just get on with things else you'll become very bitter....!

Not bitter at all SiJames, in fact quite happy in my current position (or lack of!!).  Just my observations (and my opinion to which I am entitled) on what was an under par performance from the referee who perhaps given his status and experience, could apply the laws a little better and appropriate for the situation (as noted by the other 4 referees who shared my opinion!).  Be interesting to know your take on the match, if you were indeed there and why you continue to have your little digs at HAFC, perhaps you are the one who remains bitter?

17 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

Not bitter at all SiJames, in fact quite happy in my current position (or lack of!!).  Just my observations (and my opinion to which I am entitled) on what was an under par performance from the referee who perhaps given his status and experience, could apply the laws a little better and appropriate for the situation (as noted by the other 4 referees who shared my opinion!).  Be interesting to know your take on the match, if you were indeed there and why you continue to have your little digs at HAFC, perhaps you are the one who remains bitter?

as you are now on the topic of 'under par performances' can we talk about what is expected from a manager and assistant? as mentioned you were banned for an under par performance on the sidelines, i didnt see you facing to much slack on here about that, did you come on here and apologise afterwards, didnt see that either but i may be wrong? what i am getting at is everyone makes mistakes, players, managers and officials, i am certain you'd been slightly put out if someone came on here and highlighted your poor attitude, language, and general manner in which you held yourself on the sidelines so why do you think it is any different?

i myself have been honest on this forum about officials in the past, i like to think they pay some notice to what is said. But you young man are completely blinkered, and from what some of your players (ex) were saying about you by the clubhouse when you were hurling some words to Paul that evening, i can see why you lost the changing room last season and are consequently no longer involved.

regards Simon (i was stood behind you by the clubhouse, wax jacket and flat cap)

Blimey SiJames, you seemed to have turned my observations about a referee's performance into a personal attack on me? I note that you have looked into my disciplinary record and found out my real name which must have took some time - a bit spooky?! My record is not one I'm overly proud of and perhaps my passion does sometimes get the better of common sense and control but voicing an opinion on an open forum surely doesn't warrant your constant digs at me? - I seem to remember you were one of the first to criticise the previous management at HAFC at the end of last season when times were tough and obviously want to see the continued good work HAFC are doing go to ruin - or is it just personal? Whatever it is, you are without doubt 'whiter than white' and as such, perhaps could volunteer your services to help us out in making match day a better experience for all??