Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Wednesday 6th September 2017

13 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

You El Niño are the rather naive one. Income is income and expenditure is expenditure and if paid to an individual is subject to tax and insurance. No matter by whom or what method it is paid, in cash or kind or indeed "expenses", H.M.R.C. will consider it a payment by the Club and it is the Club and sometimes the player who will be prosecuted, fined and have a considerable amount of back tax to repay.

Any number of professional and semiprofessional clubs have been placed into bankruptcy as a result of H.M.R.C. investigations and their outcome.

Do check this out with your accountant.

What you are saying is absolutely spot on, however, HMRC would have to investigate that many clubs, they just wouldnt bother as its not cost effective (time, effort, money and profitability at the end etc). If it was in a bigger league (like the Conference upwards) then it certainly would be investigated.

But in reality, money has always been paid out to players, yes i expect no player includes it on their tax return - it just happens, they get away with it, thats the end of it

On 07/09/2017 at 20:02, herbie777 said:

I hope i dont get banned for this but i think its fair to say that i and a lot of other people on this forum think you r an out and out ****

See herbie, I told you so, we both got bounced. Stars are good, words (even one letter at a time) not so good! Admittedly I thought your **** was something much ruder!

On 08/09/2017 at 10:04, SCFC said:

What you are saying is absolutely spot on, however, HMRC would have to investigate that many clubs, they just wouldnt bother as its not cost effective (time, effort, money and profitability at the end etc). If it was in a bigger league (like the Conference upwards) then it certainly would be investigated.

But in reality, money has always been paid out to players, yes i expect no player includes it on their tax return - it just happens, they get away with it, thats the end of it

HMRC have done plenty of investigation at this level .....and walked away with some serious wonga.

On 08/09/2017 at 15:25, Mr Poldark said:

Yes, but I'd have more respect if they didn't pay players £200 to have to do it.

Evidence of this please? What about Tavistock paying a vast sum to their players last season with no ambition to get promoted? Or the amounts paid by Bodmin in the past to only challenge for the title? Parkway might well be paying a fairly big wage to players, the amount of which we can only rumour about, but there is ambition there. They want to move up the league and progress as far as they can. It'll be a shrewd investment if it comes off 

3 hours ago, Nanks said:

If Parkway, Tavi, Bodmin and who ever else want to pay money, it's down to them and no one else. Get over it 

As long as the tax man gets his fair share that's fine, just puts them a little closer to a level playing field with those clubs in the S.W.P.L. that don't break the law week in and week out.

14 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

HMRC have done plenty of investigation at this level .....and walked away with some serious wonga.

Absolutely true Older, that's why some don't take the risk.

11 hours ago, Nanks said:

If Parkway, Tavi, Bodmin and who ever else want to pay money, it's down to them and no one else. Get over it 

What a stupid comment " Get over it "

This is a forum to discuss all things relevant in Cornish football, and the payment of players and clubs budgets is a source of much conjecture and interest.

it's a subject that provokes more comments than any other than I can recall yet you seem to think we should all just shrug it off

Given your track record and achievements in Cornish football I thought you'd have had something sensible to contribute

Obviously not

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Do they now get the minimum wage? Every one else who gets it is taxed. Most of them work up to 100 hours a year or more, and for many it's a second job (admittedly for some, an addition to their pension!).

This is exactly my line of thought sometimes they officiating twice a week as well. Remember their fees put them way above the minimum wage !

The taxman has come calling to some officials, but found with others it wasn't worth it. After taking away costs for mileage for training events and going to matches (tax dictates you can claim up to 40/42p per mile even though you receive less), use of computer, washing and kit every year they felt it wasn't worth it as many referees end up making a loss.

The money people in refereeing are those who referee many times a week as well as doing 6-a-side, etc.