Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town v Witheridge - Game Off

Rather disappointing to say the least this early in the season. However with such a long journey I guess this game would conflict with Saturday morning workers as well as the tail end of the Cricket season when teams are fighting for promotion / against relegation. I don't imagine that out in the wilds they have an enormous squad to call upon.

I guess that the shops will be busy in Falmouth!

Witheridge is a great club, friendly, nice pitch and great clubhouse.

However failure to fulfill a fixture, due to insufficient players and no manager in the SWPL Prem is simply not good enough - without a manager who can attract players of the right standard - perhaps early consideration of voluntary relegation (daft though that sounds in early September) may be appropriate - otherwise the fines for repeated failure to fulfil fixtures could finish the club?

After putting in a few hours compiling programme notes=DEFLATED and I bet Charley feels the same after doing his compiling & printing

I think Falmouth would rather have the game played later than having points awarded (my opinion)-with no involvement in F A competitions and a bye in the Senior Cup we need a full fixture list to sustain match day activity/income.

I feel like going down to Camborne Rugby and having a few beers with my mates

44 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Rather disappointing to say the least this early in the season. However with such a long journey I guess this game would conflict with Saturday morning workers as well as the tail end of the Cricket season when teams are fighting for promotion / against relegation. I don't imagine that out in the wilds they have an enormous squad to call upon.

Yes, with all the 50 or so supporters that would have been there !

2 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I agree with your comment about the cricket season but the work on a Saturday morning issue means that they would never field a team as their geographical positionakes most away games a long haul.

Only problem was the short notice given as the club was only informed at mid-day. All the programs had been printed and food prepared for the teams and supporters. Not to mention the loss of revenue over the bar. Besides, there were no other games to go and watch at such short notice.

Average attendance far right

CLUB HIGH LOW TOTAL GAMES AVERAGE
Bodmin Town 159 79 358 3 119.33
Callington Town 129 59 265 3 88.33
Camelford 64 52 116 2 58.00
Cullompton Rangers 83 58 141 2 70.50
Exmouth Town 127 97 328 3 109.33
Falmouth Town 123 55 364 4 91.00
Godolphin Atlantic 88 62 150 2 75.00
Helston Athletic 243 194 437 2 218.50
Ivybridge Town 310 97 407 2 203.50
Launceston 122 53 253 3 84.33
Newquay 143 131 412 3 137.33
Plymouth Argyle 108 44 257 3 85.66
Plymouth Parkway 220 212 432 2 216.00
Saltash United 210 70 357 3 119.00
St Austell 370 146 516 2 258.00
Sticker 136 92 228 2 114.00
Stoke Gabriel 79 71 150 2 75.00
Tavistock 135 84 219 2 109.50
Torpoint Athletic 133 81 403 4 100.75
Witheridge 89 51 140 2 70.00

2 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

In my opinion this situation is not helped by the football season being far too long. There is almost all year round football and I think that this affects attendances. More is less!!  The season should start about mid September and end about about mid April. 

That would mean playing more than two games a week if you factor in league, cups (both local cups and FA competition). Then what happens if you have 2-3 weeks of unplayable pitches as we do most seasons? Where do the rearranged games go?

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Agree with Goldeneye, it would solve a lot of problems, particularly at grass roots level, the overlap with hitball. The answer, surely, is smaller leagues and fewer cups!

There is already leagues that are smaller with fewer cups. Clubs are able to step out of the swpl to lower leagues if they wish, as Penryn have done

2 hours ago, quiksilver said:

That would mean playing more than two games a week if you factor in league, cups (both local cups and FA competition). Then what happens if you have 2-3 weeks of unplayable pitches as we do most seasons? Where do the rearranged games go?

Just looked at a 1994 Truro City program. The first team league game was 20th August - this year it was was 5th August. The last league game was 15th April - last season it was 29th April. The combo also began on 20th of August 1994 - this season I believe it was the 12th of August. In 1994/95 the last combo game was scheduled for 15th April. Last season I believe the last combo game was played on 25th May! Even allowing for rearranged fixtures that's a huge difference! 

22 hours ago, Quiet Man said:

Only problem was the short notice given as the club was only informed at mid-day. All the programs had been printed and food prepared for the teams and supporters. Not to mention the loss of revenue over the bar. Besides, there were no other games to go and watch at such short notice.

Penryn Vs St Day in the Trelawney league - just up the road ....and a very good game it was as well.