Cornwall Football Forum

CORNWALL SENIOR CUP DRAW details

Dave Deacon

On 24/08/2017 at 15:51, Dave Deacon said:

Has a Cornwall Combination side ever made it to the final Paul? 

In the 1996-97 CSC Final at Blaise Park, Nanpean Rovers (ECPL) should have won the cup but missed a sitter late in the game when the player rounded the keeper and hit the upright.

Falmouth of the SWL just edged home in the replay

8 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

In the 1996-97 CSC Final at Blaise Park, Nanpean Rovers (ECPL) should have won the cup but missed a sitter late in the game when the player rounded the keeper and hit the upright.

Falmouth of the SWL just edged home in the replay

I was at that game - what a game of football ! Wasn't it Penhaligon in goal for Nanpean -  I might be wrong on that though.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS !

28 minutes ago, Chris Davey said:

Gary Penhaligon was in goal BIG AL, Neil Burton at the back, Simon Buckingham (ex-Probus) and Gary Dyer up top, but struggling to remember the rest! Nanpean were a top class team that year, such a shame to see them pull out of the ECPL this week.

Chris , Do you remember the player who should have scored ?-I think it was Sid Taylor in the Falmouth goal who he went past.

The gate was estimated at 2,500

To be fair Solly did score the Nanpean goal with a great lob over Sid in the first half but I'm sure he'll always remember that chance. I know I still remember my miss in the 92 final for Falmouth v Newquay. I nicked the ball off Bally, went around the keeper, pushed myself too far on a tight angle and hit the outside of the post side netting, 85th minute. Lost 0-1 and cost us the treble, still think about it 25 years later! Remember my mum crying, that was the worst bit! Still haunts me 25 years later! Solly is a pretty laid back guy, I'm sure he's over it!?! Great being a striker most of the time but not so good when you know you've let a lot of people down missing a sitter ?

That's the one Dave ? ?  Always blame that bobble! Although I think Solly did get one didn't he!?! Luckily we beat the D&C Police in the league cup final at Bodmin two weeks later and I scored a couple. I always tell any young striker don't worry about missing just keep getting in those positions, you could miss 3 sitters in a game and still get the winner last minute and still be the hero!! A keeper can't do that! Never go into your shell or hide away, just live for that next chance! ?⚽️ I did it in my early years and regretted it with a flea in my ear from George Turbo Torrance who kept us youngsters on our toes! You never get those finals or league winning games back and you'll always remember them ?

On 8/27/2017 at 11:26, RAPPO said:

That's the one Dave ? ?  Always blame that bobble! Although I think Solly did get one didn't he!?! Luckily we beat the D&C Police in the league cup final at Bodmin two weeks later and I scored a couple. I always tell any young striker don't worry about missing just keep getting in those positions, you could miss 3 sitters in a game and still get the winner last minute and still be the hero!! A keeper can't do that! Never go into your shell or hide away, just live for that next chance! ?⚽️ I did it in my early years and regretted it with a flea in my ear from George Turbo Torrance who kept us youngsters on our toes! You never get those finals or league winning games back and you'll always remember them ?

im going to quote this to my 10 year old son who is determined to be a striker. 

i took him to his 1st training session with a team a couple of weeks ago and when the coached asked him what position he wanted to play(my boy said striker) the coach replied "well my 2 strikers scored 100 goals between them last season "  which led to my son saying there was no point going again as he wouldnt get in the team! .  great confidence building from that coach!!. 

hopefully one day my boy will retire with 2000 goals to his name 

Too right Geachy, get him out in the garden shooting with both feet and heading it down into those far corners. Comes natural in the end. I used to make a goal out of anything!! Walking home from school it would be a stone between two posts or some cones in the road with my apple or orange I didn't eat at lunchtime or a ? tennis ball shooting at someone's gate! There's a goal everywhere! ? Got a bit of an expert at spitting out my chewing gum and volleying it at something! Not much to do in Malabar in the seventies as a young kid!! Bit obsessed I know but just wanted to hit the target! Hope he beats the 2000 mate ?⚽️

3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Too right Geachy, get him out in the garden shooting with both feet and heading it down into those far corners. Comes natural in the end. I used to make a goal out of anything!! Walking home from school it would be a stone between two posts or some cones in the road with my apple or orange I didn't eat at lunchtime or a ? tennis ball shooting at someone's gate! There's a goal everywhere! ? Got a bit of an expert at spitting out my chewing gum and volleying it at something! Not much to do in Malabar in the seventies as a young kid!! Bit obsessed I know but just wanted to hit the target! Hope he beats the 2000 mate ?⚽️

just showed him your posts , just want to give him confidence in playing , he is obsessed with football , i took him to watch southampton vs wolves last week he doesnt support them but was just excited to be there . 

he asked just asked questions on who rappo is , ...........    dunno how much time i got tonight lol 

4 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Hah (!) that's where half your 2,000 came from.