Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Combination League Results and Table - Tuesday 15th Aug 17

Results for Tuesday 15th August 
Carharrack (Ryan Stephens 2, Adam Stephens) 3-1 Perranwell (Matt Rose)
Att- 42
Falmouth Town Reserves (Paul Hart) 1-0 St Day 
Att- 55
Helston Athletic Reserves (Freddy Williams, Ben Leech, Jake Yates, Fraser Patterson.) 4-3 Mullion (Jack Price, Chris Blee, Perran Hobson)
Att- 75
Pendeen Rovers (Chris Bullock 3, Henry Cozens 3, Jack Ralph 2) 8-3 Porthleven Reserves (Oscar Fergus-Gay 2, Ryan Trathen)
Att- 30
Penryn Athletic (Will Harding 2, Ryan Reeve) 3-3 Hayle (Cameron Irish 2, Kian Hooper)
Att- 45
Perranporth (Tom Langford, Justin Miles, Sam Mansfield) 3-2 Goonhavern Athletic (Adam Paterson, Simon Cole)
Att- 90
Redruth United (Nathan Taylor) 1-4 St Agnes (Gavin Perraton 2, Jakob Springall, Dan O'Toole)
Att- 30
St Ives Town (Danny Paynter) 1-0 St Just 
Att- 30
West Cornwall 0-1 Illogan RBL Reserves (Adam Callaway)
Att- 45

Table at 21.00 on 15/8/17

POS TEAM PL W D L F A GD PTS
1 PERRANPORTH 2 2 0 0 10 3 7 6
2 FALMOUTH 2 2 0 0 6 2 4 6
3 ILLOGAN 2 2 0 0 4 1 3 6
4 CARHARRACK 2 1 1 0 6 4 2 4
5 HELSTON 2 1 1 0 6 5 1 4
6 ST DAY 2 1 0 1 5 2 3 3
7 PENDEEN 2 1 0 1 9 8 1 3
8 GOONHAVERN 2 1 0 1 4 3 1 3
9 ST AGNES 2 1 0 1 6 6 0 3
10 WEST CORN 2 1 0 1 4 4 0 3
11 ST IVES 2 1 0 1 2 3 -1 3
12 HAYLE 1 0 1 0 3 3 0 1
13 MULLION 2 0 1 1 6 7 -1 1
14 ST JUST 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
15 PENRYN 2 0 1 1 4 10 -6 1
16 CULDROSE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 HOLMANS 1 0 0 1 3 4 -1 0
18 PERRANWELL 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
19 PORTHLEVEN 1 0 0 1 3 8 -5 0
20 REDRUTH 2 0 0 2 1 6 -5 0

Redruth United 1  St.Agnes 4  h/t 0-2  att about 40

Redruth defence couldn't handle the St.Agnes wingers in the first half and were lucky to be only two down at the break.They didn't create much in attack either and defender Martin Bennetts had little to do in goal for Aggie

St.Agnes in control second half and easily saw the game out,Redruth only getting a late consolation.

Probably the easiest match that referee Tim Reeks will have this season.

Pendeen 8 Porthleven 3.  Attendance 35.Borlaise park is the place to go for goals ,17 in Pendeens first 2 games back in combination football.2 well taken goals by Jack Ralph either side of a Ryan Trathen goal put Pendeen 2-1 up at halftime and then hat-tricks from Henry Couzains and Chris Bullock ensured a good win for Pendeen.Oscar Fergus-  replied with 2 late second half goals for  Porthleven.

West Cornwall 0-1 Illogan Res

Don't know what to make of it. Illogan got themselves ahead and saw the game out. For all our possession, we couldn't create anything of note. Illogan goal coming from a free kick, tipped onto the post, which fell kindly to Cally who rolled it in. Then literally nothing happened. A good save kept us in it, but other than that, bit rubbish. Typical derby game, nobody wanted to make a mistake rather than try to grab the game by the scruff. We had a few beers after anyway which is what it's about!

All the best to Illogan, see you on the return! 

Had time for a quick headcount, got 53, but 63 with the youngsters kicking a ball around!

Hell of a game at Bickland! Paul Hart scoring a long range free kick. The ball in was a good one, a defender went for the header but missed it, confusing the goalkeeper and it sailed all the way in. Harty was sent off moments later, for a tackle that should have been no more than a yellow card. It was late but it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity as the striker had his back to goal with cover fast approaching.

St Day has a goal ruled out for offside, and certainly would have won if it wasn't for some fantastic goalkeeping from Harry McMellon who pulled off a number of fine saves. Having said that Barney at the back and Liam Chinn also has very good games a long with a number of other Town lads.

St Day will probably feel hard done by.

Well Hayle scrambled a late equaliser against nine man Penryn , eight yellows , two sending off , six goals what an evening of combo football , Penryn  went one up  Hayle equalise , a pen put Hayle ,two up before half time  second half two pens put 9 man Penryn in front  , and a late goal from Hayle made it all square , All credit to Penryn who were unlucky to only come away with a draw as the nine men battled and fought all over the pitch Andy McKnight was the ref and even he must be wondering how so many cards were given as it was not a nasty game  , silly cards for both sides  one straight red for what was deemed dangerous tackle and two yellows for dissent resulting in a red , when will players learn , the plaudits thought must go to Penryn for the way the young players played with nine men and nearly had a memorable win ,  well done to all at Penryn as they were very good with Hayle running late with the traffic and agreeing to kick off later  ,a good club with many people behind the scenes making it all tick .

7 hours ago, Tempo said:

Hell of a game at Bickland! Paul Hart scoring a long range free kick. The ball in was a good one, a defender went for the header but missed it, confusing the goalkeeper and it sailed all the way in. Harty was sent off moments later, for a tackle that should have been no more than a yellow card. It was late but it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity as the striker had his back to goal with cover fast approaching.

St Day has a goal ruled out for offside, and certainly would have won if it wasn't for some fantastic goalkeeping from Harry McMellon who pulled off a number of fine saves. Having said that Barney at the back and Liam Chinn also has very good games a long with a number of other Town lads.

Good report, fuming with the offside though. Still haven't spoken to anyone who thought Boon was offside, even Falmouth players.

8 hours ago, Tempo said:

I heard the tackle was from behind and went down the back of Booners achilles so was SFP rather than DOGSO.

Jaime Mooney is our linesman. At the end of the day a linesman can only give what they see and from different angles on the pitch there will always be a different opinion of is he off or onside from our dug out he looked off side . If st day had taken there chances and won nothing would have been said about it anyone that thinks they can be a better linesman should go on the course and help a club out 

From your dug out,lol how can you think he was offside from your angle,you was in the wrong half! We was nearly in line with it. Even your defender thought it was on, the other two strikers where further forward than Boon who ran onto the ball by passing both your centre backs. Nothing we can do about it now but I was surprised he flagged so late(ball in net) seeing he was flagging offside instantly the rest of the game.

This lino/ref is normally found on mabe/falmouth group chat! :-[

He was last season. One of your players told me! ;-) Also the angle from your tea hut is pretty bad to and comment from there was he ran through your defenders. He is your lino so your going to back him No matter what.

I could give you more info but the lino/ref could get in trouble. If you was one of the mabe following you will know why!

1 hour ago, The one said:

Sour grapes 

Not sour grapes at all, we didn't do enough to win, you guys played well and worked hard, but we should have got a point but that very late flag denied that. The lino was to much involved, flagging for fouls and even telling the ref he had made the wrong decision with the red card. If a Falmouth player from the tea hut said it looked onside and he had the worse angle as in behind play then we are going to feel a bit aggrieved. Just hope your lino isn't refereeing us next week because he obviously don't like us.;-)

Classic case of on the night you guys were not good enough! I am sure the opposition had fouls and decisions given against them that heaven knows could of led to goal scoring opportunities! Always the way when you're on the losing end of a result, get on with it and concentrate on your next game ?

2 hours ago, S Abbo said:

Linos fault again willy 7...???. ???.. 

Playing vs 10 for along time? .. would look at yourselves before blaming a lino. I know its frustrating but that was one opportunity.

Plenty of games left.. 

Yes I agree, I said we didn't do enough when they were down to 10 men, but we did score a good goal and then could have gone on to win, first goal against a team working hard with 10 men was always going to be the hardest and we had it ruled out! Only ever mentioned one other lino since I've been on here and we all know who and why.

1 hour ago, Sijames said:

Classic case of on the night you guys were not good enough! I am sure the opposition had fouls and decisions given against them that heaven knows could of led to goal scoring opportunities! Always the way when you're on the losing end of a result, get on with it and concentrate on your next game ?

Yes they would feel that they should have had a few decision but that was the ref call. We get annoyed because our lino doesn't flag enough because he is honest (taxman) when other will always favour there team in a close or not so close decision in this case. We was good enough for a draw but had that taken away, I was the one in line with the lino when the ball went over and this is the reason for the frustration.

9 hours ago, willy7 said:

Not sour grapes at all, we didn't do enough to win, you guys played well and worked hard, but we should have got a point but that very late flag denied that. The lino was to much involved, flagging for fouls and even telling the ref he had made the wrong decision with the red card. If a Falmouth player from the tea hut said it looked onside and he had the worse angle as in behind play then we are going to feel a bit aggrieved. Just hope your lino isn't refereeing us next week because he obviously don't like us.;-)

Wasn't there so can't comment on off or on , but refs do instruct Lino's to give a late flag  the only time when they want a quick one is if their could be a clash with the keeper to save injury ,  As for your lino Adrian one of the best and a good bloke , but even he gets moaned at  trust me we have spoke about this during games , please this season can we give club Lino's or assistants as they like us to be called a break , none of us do it to get  grief or to mess up a game of football  but because we want to put something back into the game we love , for if we are lucky we might get a drink after the game , most times it costs us money to do a job nobody wants but everyone can do better and we have to attend a refresher course and take a multi choice 40 questions at the end which you have to have 75% to pass  ,  just remember at combo you get fined for not having a registered lino ,  we all like banter but abuse we don't .

7 hours ago, stevieb said:

Wasn't there so can't comment on off or on , but refs do instruct Lino's to give a late flag  the only time when they want a quick one is if their could be a clash with the keeper to save injury ,  As for your lino Adrian one of the best and a good bloke , but even he gets moaned at  trust me we have spoke about this during games , please this season can we give club Lino's or assistants as they like us to be called a break , none of us do it to get  grief or to mess up a game of football  but because we want to put something back into the game we love , for if we are lucky we might get a drink after the game , most times it costs us money to do a job nobody wants but everyone can do better and we have to attend a refresher course and take a multi choice 40 questions at the end which you have to have 75% to pass  ,  just remember at combo you get fined for not having a registered lino ,  we all like banter but abuse we don't .

To quote a ref‘s pre match instructions to linos "I'd rather have a late and controversial flag than a controversial goal". As linos we can never win, mistakes do get made but those who moan should come and have a go with the flag before they criticise. Deciding if a player is 'active' and 'interferring', sometimes when you're on the run, is not always an easy call, better to pause a moment to consider the decision than to flag immediately. It's the same with 'has the ball crossed the line', which is an easy one for the lino to cheat on if he is that way inclined, but what's the point? This is local club football, not the Premier League, let's get behind the volunteers who make it happen and appreciate what they give to the game. Unless we want to lose more volunteer linos from the game, the abuse has got to stop!

Completely agree with the last post. I run the line regularly, and just do my best (keep up with play, ball over the touchline, off-sides, corners etc). It is quite a difficult job at times. Don't cheat, hate cheating. But what sticks in my mind is the general lack of understanding of the laws of the game by the vast majority of players. Doh.

Well, where do I start...                                 The match wasn't too bad in my opinion. You know what you're getting, when you go to Falmouth, midweek. They were apparently a bit short, like ourselves, and that's what their 2nd team is for, giving the first team players minutes, regaining fitness/sharpness. 

We were missing 8 players (Luke Leah, Matt Witts, Chris Dobson, Dario Pisano, Jake Williams, Harry James, Craig Clinton & Tom Hogarth. So we had to call up one or two. 

As for the game, I personally feel that a draw at least would have been fair, but as we found out, football isn't always fair.  Barney played well for Falmouth at centre half, as did their keeper, kicking well, coming off his line quickly & making some good saves. Westy was pulling the strings & directing on the pitch & it was also good to see James Miller in a Falmouth shirt, great bit of banter with a few on the pitch. 

Paul Hart scored a free kick, which was initially given as indirect, it deceived everyone, bounced & then ended up in the back of the net, with no appeal, so it stood. A few minutes later, Paul was sent off. Falmouth immediately shut up shop, but one or two tried to even things up, whilst trying out for the Olympic diving squad, including their striker, who kicked the floor, when attempting to shoot, then rolling around screaming for a penalty. 

Falmouth followed their game plan well, made easier as we weren't allowed to enter their half, without a flag being raised and the assistant referee trying to referee from the touchline, even telling the ref what to do. Flags being raised even when players ran from their own half. 

The assistant referee, just wanted somebody to talk to, flagging the ref over, if anybody so much as looked at him. He was even trying to talk to me, attempting to distract me at the very moment I was taking a corner & even in the 2nd half, when he was in the bottom corner, away from everyone, when, accidental or otherwise, I received a gentle nudge in the back, whilst trying to take a corner. 

As for playing against 10 for 55 mins, we perhaps should have done better, but weren't allowed near the Falmouth goal, a certain person made sure of that.  We also hit the bar a few times from set pieces, missed an open goal, with a stretch too far at the back post, and had a genuine goal, wrongly ruled out. That gets given & the whole momentum changes. 

Over the past 12 months, the win at all costs mentality from assistant referees has seen a massive increase and it's taken the shine off the sport, for me. And being on the receiving end of 4 such episodes, in previous games has made me seriously consider hanging up my boots. I had a long chat on Tuesday night as to whether it's still worth it. I, like many other people make sacrifices, just to play football. Just like Tuesday night, I moved heaven & earth, just to swap a night shift, to play football. 

I play football, primarily for enjoyment, with some friends, to aid my fitness and to de-stress from all of the unpleasant things I have to deal with, on a daily basis, working in the emergency services. But unfortunately, certain people are ruining it, in my opinion and we're not even allowed to talk to them or ask a question, otherwise we're booked or threatened with a booking. Respect, they keep saying, well that works both ways, or at least it should do!

As for us blaming assistant referees, Abbo.  We had an issue with 2, last season, but lost more than 2 games, last season. And photos from one game, taken by a neutral, last year, proved our case & that the person in question, wasn't completely honest. And one game, was the only combo game to survive the weather, meaning representatives from most combo clubs, descended on St day to watch & members from roughly 10 combo clubs, witnessed this person running the line and stated our goal on that day should have stood ? 

In response to somebody suggesting we do an assistant referee's course. Anybody would want to play football as long as they can, before taking up that role. But FYI, I spoke to our gaffer and offered on a couple of occasions, to undertake the relevant qualifications, when able to find a course that suits my rota, and as a qualified football coach, I keep relatively up to date with the "laws of the game"

On another note, the referee, Darren Cartwright had a good game ? 

Please don't let this detract from those other assistant referees, who do a fantastic job, and are really appreciated. The majority, like our very own Adie, are 100% honest, which makes it harder to take, when others aren't. 

Either way, it's early days & things apparently, can only get better. Here's to a good season. 

4 hours ago, Rob Hosking said:

Well, where do I start...                                 The match wasn't too bad in my opinion. You know what you're getting, when you go to Falmouth, midweek. They were apparently a bit short, like ourselves, and that's what their 2nd team is for, giving the first team players minutes, regaining fitness/sharpness. 

We were missing 8 players (Luke Leah, Matt Witts, Chris Dobson, Dario Pisano, Jake Williams, Harry James, Craig Clinton & Tom Hogarth. So we had to call up one or two. 

As for the game, I personally feel that a draw at least would have been fair, but as we found out, football isn't always fair.  Barney played well for Falmouth at centre half, as did their keeper, kicking well, coming off his line quickly & making some good saves. Westy was pulling the strings & directing on the pitch & it was also good to see James Miller in a Falmouth shirt, great bit of banter with a few on the pitch. 

Paul Hart scored a free kick, which was initially given as indirect, it deceived everyone, bounced & then ended up in the back of the net, with no appeal, so it stood. A few minutes later, Paul was sent off. Falmouth immediately shut up shop, but one or two tried to even things up, whilst trying out for the Olympic diving squad, including their striker, who kicked the floor, when attempting to shoot, then rolling around screaming for a penalty. 

Falmouth followed their game plan well, made easier as we weren't allowed to enter their half, without a flag being raised and the assistant referee trying to referee from the touchline, even telling the ref what to do. Flags being raised even when players ran from their own half. 

The assistant referee, just wanted somebody to talk to, flagging to ref over, if anybody so much as looked at him. He was even trying to talk to me, attempting to distract me at the very moment I was taking a corner & even in the 2nd half, when he was in the bottom corner, away from everyone, when, accidental or otherwise, I received a gentle nudge in the back, whilst trying to take a corner. 

As for playing against 10 for 55 mins, we perhaps should have done better, but weren't allowed near the Falmouth goal, a certain person made sure of that.  We also hit the bar a few times from set pieces, missed an open goal, with a stretch too far at the back post, and had a genuine goal, wrongly ruled out. That gets given & the whole momentum changes. 

Over the past 12 months, the win at all costs mentality from assistant referees has seen a massive increase and it's taken the shine off the sport, for me. And being on the receiving end of 4 such episodes, in previous games has made me seriously consider hanging up my boots. I had a long chat on Tuesday night as to whether it's still worth it. I, like many other people make sacrifices, just to play football. Just like Tuesday night, I moved heaven & earth, just to swap a night shift, to play football. 

I play football, primarily for enjoyment, with some friends, to aid my fitness and to de-stress from all of the unpleasant things I have to deal with, on a daily basis, working in the emergency services. But unfortunately, certain people are ruining it, in my opinion and we're not even allowed to talk to them or ask a question, otherwise we're booked or threatened with a booking. Respect, they keep saying, well that works both ways, or at least it should do!

As for us blaming assistant referees, Abbo.  We had an issue with 2, last season, but lost more than 2 games, last season. And photos from one game, taken by a neutral, last year, proved our case & that the person in question, wasn't completely honest. And one game, was the only combo game to survive the weather, meaning representatives from most combo clubs, descended on St day to watch & members from roughly 10 combo clubs, witnessed this person running the line and stated our goal on that day should have stood ? 

In response to somebody suggesting we do an assistant referee's course. Anybody would want to play football as long as they can, before taking up that role. But FYI, I spoke to our gaffer and offered on a couple of occasions, to undertake the relevant qualifications, when able to find a course that suits my rota, and as a qualified football coach, I keep relatively up to date with the "laws of the game"

Please don't let this detract from those other assistant referees, who do a fantastic job, and are really appreciated. The majority, like our very own Adie, are 100% honest, which makes it harder to take, when others aren't. 

Either way, it's early days & things apparently, can only get better. Here's to a good season. 

I think most people involved with football play , support or volunteer  to escape for a few  hours each week , haven't come across any lino with a win at all costs on my travels  , you are lucky to still be young enough to play and I would play as long as you can , as it is a long time retired , I know from personal experience . The boot being on the other foot or other side of the line how many players claim  for every throw , corner , free kick gain yards for throw ins ect ect ?  And then when it goes against them you would think the world was ending  and you get it in the neck  from doubting your parentage to the C word and that isn't cheat , personally have been threatened in years gone by  a few years back was called a paedo , for flagging someone offside . It has got better and refs will tell the skippers before they kick off we are there to assist him not for the benefit of our home clubs  , we all have tolerance levels and all can make mistakes , but also a ref can over rule any descions we make as he can be better placed to see what has happened . Personally I considered giving up the flag about three seasons ago , but what helped was the young players coming through and also the football improving in combo , and also the refs and other clubs Lino's at least we can talk during and after the game , some would be glad if I did  but while my health allows I will carry on for a  bit  longer  , as the majority of the time I enjoy the small part I play in our local game .

6 hours ago, Rob Hosking said:

The assistant referee, just wanted somebody to talk to, flagging to ref over, if anybody so much as looked at him. He was even trying to talk to me, attempting to distract me at the very moment I was taking a corner & even in the 2nd half, when he was in the bottom corner, away from everyone, when, accidental or otherwise, I received a gentle nudge in the back, whilst trying to take a corner. 

Spot on fella well said also may I add the abuse stday lino took from the home manager which was heard in the stand ??

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Known Adrian a long time we used to play against each other and he has not changed always fair

Yes he is very fair, to fair in my eyes. I am sure he gives the benefit of doubt to the striker.lol As mentioned above I did hear that Adrian had to put up with abuse from the Falmouth manager, don't know why he was giving it because I think Adrian only raised his flag once all night.

20 hours ago, stevieb said:

The lino in question was putting the flag up straight away all night, even for fouls. My issue was that on the matter in question he done the opposite and waited for the ball nearly to cross the line. The striker took two touches before this. Wasn't even close to offside is the frustrating part!

Can't believe St Day are still whining about the off side decision , the Lino put his flag up as soon as Gavin struck the  ball , didn't see Gavin react at the decision and also said to Barney he thought he might have been off side ! As for you Rob the Lino obviously made you hit those 3 corners onto the top of our net ? .To be fare to the ref it was his first senior game and he was being assessed so he was probably grateful that he had a qualified referee on the line . Funny as no one mentioned the 2 pens Falmouth could have had and a dubious sending off. As St Day we were also 5 out through injuries and work commitments so both clubs have good squads this year so should be competitive . Good luck to St Day for the season . All good bants ?

Yeah, you're right, but it was 2 corners, strangely in the 2nd half, in the bottom corner, when your assistant referee, was away from the crowd and many eyes ? 

As in the first half we hit your bar twice from my corners, where all 5 of them remained within the pitch ? 

I'm not moaning, just offering my views, hoping that other officials will be aware of the antics of your assistant referee & hopefully, no other teams are affected.  Because, unless anything gets said, things will continue. 

By the way, Gavin took at least two touches, prior to the flag being raised. 

Anyway, all the best for the season boys & girls 

Give some credit to the opposition, not being allowed near the goal? What a load of nonsense? Goalie wouldn't have pulled off five or six cracking saves if you didn't have opportunities. ?

You would think every decision went against you, even though Town were wrongfully sent down to ten men before half time ?

Ref has done combo before, just not for a few season's. Yes it was a harsh sending off and yes they could have a possible pen not doubting any of that but that wasn't the topic. As said before boon took two touches before shooting. We move on and hopefully decisions even themselves up. Just hope the lino isn't still on the mabe/falmouth group chat anymore.:ph34r:

Why was there a lino for this game anyway? As in, he's a full time referee anyway is he not? Seems strange to then do a club line when he hasn't games could lead to a few awkward moments if he has them anytime soon!!

on another note how come I saw some of the Falmouth lads wearing mabe tops?

25 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Why was there a lino for this game anyway? As in, he's a full time referee anyway is he not? Seems strange to then do a club line when he hasn't games could lead to a few awkward moments if he has them anytime soon!!

on another note how come I saw some of the Falmouth lads wearing mabe tops?

A lot of the Falmouth Town side are ex-Mabe players. And I imagine a couple will remain signed on there this season as their junior club.

Im told the same linesman will be running the line for Falmouth all season.