Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town 3 Camelford 1

Cornwall Senior Cup 2nd.Round

FALMOUTH TOWN 3 CAMELFORD 1 h/t 1-1 corners 12/3 Est.Att.75

FALMOUTH_

Nathan Murphy;Neil Bettis;Ben Goldring(Fergus Nevin 59m);Aaron Harper-Penman;Brinton Nute;Rob Francis (Capt.);Darren Burchell;Jamie Morrison-Hill;Lee Langmead(Wayne Brown 59);Glen Squires(Aaron Cussack 65m)Matt Cussack;Unused subs Matt Godfree;Andy Bowker:

CAMELFORD-

Stuart Hill;Shaun Heywood(Mike Retter 69m);James Mabley(Mark Gusterton 69m);Lee Bateman(Capt)(Pete Hopper 69m);Alex Young;Chris Hoskin;Neil Slateford;Adam Cudmore;Dan Balsdon;Kevin Murt;Paul Menhennick;Unused subs.Chris Allen;Jimmy Verran G/K.

Bookings FT.N.Bettis 65m;W.Brown84m- CAM.S,Heywood 29m

Referee Rigas Gatzianidis- Breage. Assistants Ivan Murdoch- Helston,Mark Greet- Porthleven

Wayne Brown making his 200th.first team appearance for Falmouth.

A penalty 5mins from time put Falmouth safely through to Round 3 with a journey to Penzance on Jan.12th 08.

But until then a plucky and disiciplined Camelford side were still in contention keeping their shape as they soaked up the Falmouth pressure waiting for the counter attack.

Falmouth should have had a comfortable first half lead but good positioning by visiting keeper Stuart Hill saved twice from Burchell,twice from Langmead with a one on one and a shot from Squires and for good measure Bettis made a hash of a header from close in.

The opening Falmouth goal on 38 mins.was an untidy affair as first a defender missed a clearance in the heavy conditions leaving keeper Hill to race out and have his clearance rebound off Matt Cussack into the net.

Camelford did have their moments with Neil Slateford curling a shot just wide but 2 mins from the interval the equaliser was clinically headed home by Alex Young from a Menhennick free kick following a foul by Goldring on the touchline.

Falmouth took the game to Camelford in the second period playing some good interpassing football in difficult conditions but could not find the final breakthrough against a determined and workmanlike Camelford defence.

On the hour one of Town's many corners was met by Harper-Penman and then on to Glen Squires who headed over the advancing keeper from close in to regain the lead.

However late in the game Matt Cussack was played through into the area where he was challenged and went down-the referee was not interested but his assistant saw it as a penalty.Captain Rob Francis placed the ball low into the corner but again Hill made a full length dive only to help it on his way to the net.

At the final whistle Stuart Hill was well applauded by the home supporters.

This was Camelfords first visit to Bickland Park since last appearing in a SWL match in May 1963and the very first meeting in Senior Cup

Apart from Slateford who was the other Camelford (County) youth player which had this cup tie called off last Saturday-I dont recognise any from the visitors lineup?

Cameron Palin where was he on Sat.?

A difficult game played in poor conditions, and as Mike has said, the Camelford goalkeeper was outstanding and rightly deserved the applause from the Falmouth supporters. All in all, Camelford were a credit to their league and played the game in good spirit throughout. I think that this shows that Division One west is not that far behind the Premier division and it will be a tricky tie away to Penzance. Well done Camelford for putting on a good show.

Quiet Man,

I think to be fair to Falmouth, the ground was very heavy, had it been firm & dry, I think Falmouth would have had a lot more goals in the second half, there is a well known saying, teams in the lower leagues are some times harder to overcome, because they feel they have nothing to lose, but a lot to gain,I also have to agree Camelford never gave up, & their keeper although carrying a lot of extra weight was the man of the match,

If the conditions are right at the Penzance game, I am more than confident that Falmouth will win that game.

Hammers

:clapper::thumbsup::yahoo::c: :c:

Camelford looked a useful side who always looked dangerous on the break. I think it was Neil Slateford who played right midfield for them and He had an excellent game. Best of luck to Camelford in trying to keep hold of him. In fact he would quite good in the black and amber............

That being said, I thought our right midfielder, Matt Cusack, was the man of the match. Deceptively quick, very determined and extremely clever on the ball, he was at the heart of most of the good things for Town. he thoroughly deserves his call-up to the Cornwall squad.

Good to see Lee Langmead back up front for Town. I think he himself would admit that he was understandably a bit rusty but he seems to have the Knack of being in the right place at the right time which cant be taught. He won't miss many chances like that this season. Fingers crossed he stays fit.

Anyway, next week Saltash away. The form side of the league at the moment (along with Parkway of course)

UP THE TOWN!!!!!

Guest pafc 4 the prem

cam was injured on sat, i play for camelford and although falmouth were on top i think its unfair for people to say if it was good conditions they'd have won by more.

pafc 4 the prem

I do not agree with you, I truly believe that had the ground been firm & dry,

Town would have had a bigger score,

that said Camelford were a very useful outfit, & played well,

& you have to admit it the Camelford Goal Keeper played his socks off, & prevented Town from having a much bigger score,

Also in all leagues of Football the higher teams find it harder to overcome the lower teams, because they are allways up for causing an upset,

Hammers :thumbsup::c: :c:

This was a good cup tie played in the right spirit by both teams. Falmouth, as you would expect from their league status and home advantage enjoyed the greater possession and created the better chances but Camelford were always a threat on the break and were in with a chance until the penalty 5 minutes from time.

As a young and relatively lightweight side who try to pass the ball I don't think the conditions were of any benefit to us at all. Since August we have played against teams of the calibre of Saltash, Launceston, St Blazey, Porthleven, Penryn and the full County side on perfect pitches and not one of those teams bettered Falmouth's score on Saturday.

I don't think anyone can make assumptions about what the score might have been but Falmouth deserved to go through and good luck to them in the next round. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to one of Cornwall's premier clubs and were pleased with our performance on the day.

I quite agree Reg, Camelford were very disiciplined and difficult to break down in defence and were always alert to the counter attack which was always on the cards until the late penalty.

Camelford only one league defeat this season and equal best defensive record which speaks for its self.

After watching Cornish football for over 40 years it was the first ever time I have seen Camelford Fc.

Perhaps a PSF up at your new complex would suit me fine and I will be following your rest of season results with interest.

Guest Postie Pidge

We are working on that one. Spoke to Reg at the start of the season and although he couldn't help us out then, I for one would love to play them on their new ground which I've heard is superb!

• 2 weeks later...