Cornwall Football Forum

I can't believe it's a year today!

I can’t believe it’s a year today since the death of Andy Trathen!

That’s why it was good to go public in my Sunday Independent column last weekend about a date for your diary ….. here’s the piece :-

“Despite all the local rivalry, I just love it when people involved in local football come together to help out others.

Just this week I was able to do my bit in assisting in such an example after receiving a message from Sharon Trathen, the widow of the late Andy Trathen, who can best be described as one of the Cornwall Combination League’s most lethal marksmen.

Thursday will mark a year since the news of Andy’s shock death rocked the heart of Cornish football. He was a natural goalscorer who for 30 years, since making his debut back in 1983 for Pendeen Rovers, had been a handful for any defence.

I first met and knew Andy from playing against him and like a few of us when on the pitch, he was a bit of a moaner, but off it he was always great fun and in later years we were fellow spectators. He loved the game.

It’s therefore understandable that Sharon and her family have been interested in arranging some kind of annual event to remember him by.

After a couple of false starts Sharon had experienced with others in trying to get something off the ground, I’m pleased to say that with my help I was able to put her in the direction of a lady who knows how to get things moving – Mandy Kimmins, St Agnes chairperson and LWC Drinks Combination League committee member.

Mandy has been subsequently in discussions with both Sharon and Richard Pallot at the Cornwall FA and I’m pleased to be able to announce that the Andy Trathen Charity Trophy will be played for on September 28th at Porthleven between the Cornwall FA’s County Youth side and a League Representative side featuring players from clubs where Andy played and with a trophy to be presented by Sharon and family.”