Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City news

I can fully understand Leonards decision not to make the position full time. Heaney obviously wants full time commitment from both players and management. The job of a manager these days is a precarious one at the best of times once you get into the football league and above. But to ask a young man to commit himself and his family to a full time career at this low level is asking an awful lot. What if next season doesn't go so well and Truro get off to a poor start, the chairman would have no qualms whatsoever in dumping Leanard for another manager leaving the man having to pick up his life again. There would be no million pound payoff.

A brave decision Dave and I hope people will realise that. Unfortunately next season is going to be the crunch one for Truro and its better for Leonard to put his career and his family first and return to more local management. Good luck to him. He's done a good job.

Did Truro really have to commit themselves to a full time professional set up for next season in the Southern League SW Division?.

It wasnt too long ago that the Conference Premier adopted full time and this league is four steps higher from where Truro are now.

It appears Truro are structered way above their level in the Western League and have set their stall too high for future progress but there again it is promotion at all cost.

Are they in too much of a hurry?

With no new ground plans in progress would Treyew Road be acceptable for Conference football in 3/4 years?

Thinking on. Leonard would have had to give up his full time job to rosk being oout of the managers job if things didn't go well. Its the same for players. A player may pick up a grand a week or so, but what if they also suffer from loss of form or injury they also could be cast aside having already given up their jobs.

The more you look at it the more we are out on a limb down here. At the moment the gates have been touching 500. I don't know what the entrance fee is but say it averages £4 per person. Thats two grand a week income, but you are only home every other week, so you could say the average weekly gate income is One grand a week. I understand the average players income is about Three grand plus a week. So you are already running at a player income loss compared to gate income of Two grand a week Any player who has a full time job and I would assume that is all of them would need the same money they are getting now say £300 week job and £300 a week football wages = £600 minimum or it just isn't going to be worth it.

Say there are 15 players on that wage then that is a layout of £9,000 a week but that has to be over 52 weeks a year, not just during the season. You are now looking at a pay out of £468,000 a year on player and managerial staff alone. If you are only playing 23 league games maximum and say seven cup games a season at home that is 30 games a season. Divide that into £468,000 and that means the gate income alone must average £15,600 per game.

Again I don't know what the gate charges are for Southern League football but lets say it is £6. Then each gate must be at least 2,600 per match just to cover wages. I appreciate other income will be generated but then you have staffing costs to take account of.

I really hope Mr Heaney has got his sums right.

First you have to persuade full time pros to come to the club, a full time manager etc. But at the end of the day the team must continue to win. It takes me back to Hornchurch who's backer ran out of money. It would be great if Truro could push onwards and upwards but the financial implications are huge.

Perhaps a lot of money can be recovered as a tax loss. Who knows. Its just good luck to the club and their ambitions.

As I said - this just assumes the club keeps winning.

Its surprising what drivvel you can write when you are bored waiting for match of the day to start.

I really think the money will run out before the 'promised land' of the Conference is reached. Argyle have great difficulty in recruiting players of a good standard to come to them and Truro will also find the same difficulty, and as ECPL quite rightly points out above, they are going to struggle I feel.

Guest Peppermint

Dave Leonard has done a brilliant job at Truro City and taken them to Wembley. I am sure all City fans are grateful for his contributions but as ECPL states you cannot blame Dave for putting his family and other career first. Everbody knows that being a manager of a football team is a very precarious occupation and if results go wrong he is out of a job and he would need to pick up his old career again.

I think he has made a very wise decision and I am sure everybody wishes him well.

Guest tom@white tigers

Thank you Lenny for everything you have done. Although i am a little shocked and suprised to see him leave at such a great time in the clubs history i understand his decision. Good luck for the future Lenny and i hope we'll bump into you at Treyew Road many times in the coming seasons.

what utter rubbish,3grand a week,what world does eclp live,does everybody on this forum live in cloud cuckoo land,or do they just sit there and make it all up,well his post did brighten up this horrible day :yahoo:

Dave Leonard isn't leaving yet, he has stated he will see out the last 18 months of his part time contract.

ahh some one who talkes in facts not fiction,wll done Wenna. :clapper: :clapper:

A very wise decision by Dave. Maybe there will be a few players not taking the risk because of their jobs. Therefore maybe teams like Falmouth, Bodmin e.t.c will pick some players up next summer?

What does it mean for the reserves? Will they stay part timers?

Guest Bunhill

A very wise decision by Dave. Maybe there will be a few players not taking the risk because of their jobs. Therefore maybe teams like Falmouth, Bodmin e.t.c will pick some players up next summer?

Depends really, I don't think there will be a mass exodus and in the main the core of the side have commited themselves for next season. I believe one or two of those who don't fancy the prospect of full-time contracts like Gossy sound as though they will still be at the club in some capacity and their experience will be a boon for the younger players. Remember there is an ever growing emphasis on the reserve set up. No doubt targets have been identified on the transfer front with a highly promising central defender, who some of us have seen already, coming in from Newport County for next season. The cache of Southern league will provide more leverage in attracting players of a decent calibre

It is a great pity about Dave Leonard, he has acheived everything asked of him, and more. Then again his future was an extremely difficult decision and I'm sure he has the sympathy and respect of the fans. A number of us have been wise to the events of recent weeks leading up to this situation so the shock has been slightly tempered. One thing that must be congratulated is the effort and resolve of the players who have continued to demostrate their team ethic in churning out the results whilst contemplating their futures, something that must have been unsettling off the pitch.

As far as finance goes I thought ECPL put together a reasonable posting and as far as some Truro fans would be concerned the figures aren't a million miles away from the truth and I'd hate to see him mocked for putting some reason into his argument, however gate money isn't the only revenue stream, some pretty good sponsorship deals have been struck on the income side. But as ECPL points out Kevin Heaney has made, and continues to make, a very significant financial contribution for which we're grateful.

Going to be some big changes for a few clubs in the next 12 months I should think. Can fully understand anyone with well paid jobs not going full time with Truro because even if they do well, they wont be playing football til their 65 years old so the day to day job can never be chucked in for Truro City.

On the flip side of the coin, there will be some players leaving Truro looking for a new side to play for.........Who going where?

Guest Bunhill

On the flip side of the coin, there will be some players leaving Truro looking for a new side to play for.........Who going where?

Dunno about the players Paul, but I know where Blazey could look for a decent manager, if in need.

Going to be some big changes for a few clubs in the next 12 months I should think. Can fully understand anyone with well paid jobs not going full time with Truro because even if they do well, they wont be playing football til their 65 years old so the day to day job can never be chucked in for Truro City.

We must not forget Paul,Truro are not a 1 team club.The 1st 2nd and 3rd teams are top of there respective leagues without losing a game as yet,and are keen to climb the pyramid.I would say the few that dont fancy the fully professional game from the 1st team will be more than welcome to play for the 2nds who are also going to be a force to be reckoned with in the county in the very near future.So if they are happy with the club,I dont forsee a mass exodus.

KIT.

maybe not but if lenny leaves the club he will more than likely take his favoured players with him as a previous post said blazey could be an option as lenny has quite strong links there as he was very succsseful as a player there

I see what you mean,but I think lenny is under contract with Truro till 2009,or so I have been told.

KIT.

Something else the players need to consider.

Currently it's a long hike down from say, North Devon twice a week for training, but only every other week for a game.

How would someone feel about the prospect of having to do that every day?

It's all vey well to say they could move down, but that's an even bigger commitment on what's probably going to be a maximum two year contract for not a huge amount of money. They're not paid championship wages and let's face it, Argyle are constantly having trouble getting players and they're an hour up the road.

Good luck!

Something else the players need to consider.

Currently it's a long hike down from say, North Devon twice a week for training, but only every other week for a game.

How would someone feel about the prospect of having to do that every day?

It's all vey well to say they could move down, but that's an even bigger commitment on what's probably going to be a maximum two year contract for not a huge amount of money. They're not paid championship wages and let's face it, Argyle are constantly having trouble getting players and they're an hour up the road.

Good luck!

not a huge amount or money.ecpl said it 3 grand aweek ,he must be right tommy mustnt he :o

its not 3 grand a week i work alot with one player who cant afford to turn professional if he was offered 3 grand a week you really think he would leave for money reasons?

i was only joking,mr P,i know its no were near that dreamers post,got to smile at the jokers on this forum,if they dont know they just make it up,what ever floats their boat haa :huh: :huh:

well first i wil say dave and glyn are showing their class as managers and coaches, what ever they chose to do in their personal lives and work wise i think a lot of guys can take note and learn and watch two guys at the top of their proffession the standards they acheive are really outstanding but i know the time and effort and hard work they put in and ask nothing of the players they would not do them selves, these two guys raise the standard with their commitment to any job they take on they have the respect of everyone in cornish soccer . i know any choice they make will be for the benfit of truro city and the players first . i hope for the sake of football in cornwall there is an answer to keep these guys involved with the most successfull club in cornwall but what ever happens to truro and dave and glyn and any of the players i would like to say a big thank you for what you have achived so far in cornish football and that extends to when they worked for st blazey and liskeard this is one supporter of football that hopes you stay but i understand the only thing that is in stone is managers and players move on, i was lucky to know these top guys and never a true er statment was ever said respect is earned never demanded and you both have my respect and i think the respect of every supporter in cornwall ,what ever happens i wish u both the best and truro city, guys like kevin heaney chris webb dave and glyn we as supporters owe u a massive debt so thanks for every thing and long may it continue . i have watched chris when truro city were struggling and glyn and dave through out their careers they deserve what ever sucess comes their way thanks guys ,alan metters football supporter,

Just replying to the comment about Truro being the most successful side in Cornwall. Do you think they can take that crown yet? Yes Truro are the most successful team in the last few seasons but not as a whole? Lets face Falmouth won the Western league fours times in a row in the 70s, against much better opposition than what is in the western league today and did it with small squads! I heard a quote once that the falmouth team was up to conference standard back then. And had gates of 1500 plus.

Yes that was a long time ago and all credit to what truro have done . but does winning the FA Vase make them the most successful Cornish team of all time?

I would like to hear Tommy Matthews views as he spent some good glory years at falmouth and knows the history proberly better than me!

I'd firstly like to agree with Metts and say that Dave and Glyn have done a fantastic job so far and knowing them both really well I know that their committment would be nothing less than 100%. It's fair also to say that even inspite of the obvious help a big budget for players gives, winning the FA Vase is an enormous achievement.

Keeping a large squad of very good players happy is another problem they clearly deal with well. I know they're paid well but there's nothing quite like playing and when your too old you can't have your time again, and all the money is spent!

Whether or not I played in the best ever team will be debated for ever. I was really lucky. I had the opportunity to play alongside arguably the most talented group of players and friends of the time. I wasn't the best player but knew the things I was good at and tried to do them well.

Yes, we won pretty much everything back then, but that was back then. St.Blazey had some great times recently and now Truro have the chance to do their thing. You can only play against what's in front of you at the time.

This post has already thrown up some awkward issues about the Truro players and management going full-time, personally I think it's very ambitious, perhaps too ambitious, but Kevin Heaney doesn't tell me how to spend my money and I'm not about to tell him how to spend his.

If this is the next stage in their master plan then we must all give them due credit, if it fails then they will have at least tried, and if they're successful then thanks to Mr. Heaney and all the "team" then it's onwards to the next step.

One last thing. I keep hearing about all the loyal Truro supporters out there, yes there are some and well done to you for standing by your club when they were deep in debt and you still were there every week. If things don't go to plan I hope all the new loyal supporters still stand by your team and help them through the difficult times, because there will be some the higher up the ladder you go.

Good Luck!

good comments Tommy, you have hit the nail on the head!

I wish truro well but do think they are in a bit of a rush! Lets face it has there ever been a non league team to come from this level to the football league in a quick period.

I think the next full time team is four or five leagues higher. Surely a lot of money can be saved by going at a steady pace and taking the pressure off themselves!

I think people have gone off on a bit of a tangent. I said the average players income was three grand a week. So a squad say of 15 players must be getting indiviually about £200 a week. And we all know that for some is way, way below what they are actually getting. I think it is nearer four grand a week plus being paid out in player wages.

I'm sure Mr Heaney's accountants will keep him abreast of the financial situation. It could be what appears to be on offer for the ladies team in that the players may be offered accomodation provided by Mr Heaney could be offered to Truro City mens players, because you cant have full time players travelling hundreds of miles a week just to train and play at Truro. Looks like interesting times ahead especially as there seems to be no advance on moving from Treyew Road into a new complex.

I understand the average players income is about Three grand plus a week.

This was my quote in my earlier posting which I thought I answered again in my last one which was:

think people have gone off on a bit of a tangent. I said the average players income was three grand a week. So a squad say of 15 players must be getting indiviually about £200 a week. And we all know that for some is way, way below what they are actually getting. I think it is nearer four grand a week plus being paid out in player wages.

It must be getting late. Hope you can understand this one.

I still can't fathom out how to highlight quotes!!!

ECPL, you made it seem as though an individual player was on £3000 a week!!

If its a combination of all players, then I would say it was more than £3000 if you include the bonuses that some of the players are on!! If and when they go higher, then that bill will need to increase as well.

Like I've said before, I only see it succeeding if they sell Treyew Road for development, therefore Mr Heaney gets something back from his investment.

Guest Terrier Tom

Like I've said before, I only see it succeeding if they sell Treyew Road for development, therefore Mr Heaney gets something back from his investment.

:rolleyes:

I take it you don't do much development? How can a (circa) £6m office development fund a £10m training complex, plus potentially a £20m (!?!) stadium in time!? Even with 25% funded?! Not that they would ever gewt that much!

It makes me laugh that anyone would think an intelligent business man would enter into owning a football club under the illusion that they can make money from it!?! :blink: I am sure Mr Heaney like all other Chairman around the country are well aware they will never see a profit. I believe they call it chasing the dream. (It's like what you Liverpool fans do every year - 'The Premiership Title')

If Truro's ground gets sold for housing - which as it stands can't happen I beleive - then he will make loads of money on it.

Mr Heaney is a business man, why would he just throw his money away?

Liverpool fans dream has more chance of reality than a Truro City fans dream, thats for sure!!!

Guest Terrier Tom

Liverpool fans dream has more chance of reality than a Truro City fans dream, thats for sure!!!

Again development knowledge would show that they won't EVER be permitted to have housing on the site. Have a look at something called the LDF.

Football clubs never run at a profit. Business man or not, he will know that. Labours of love cost money, and often don't work out. Like supporting Liverpool around the world.

Oh so Liverpool fans still dreaming of a league title after 15 years!? I imagine Truro might have a few of them under their belt by 2020!

Yours, FTFC & MCFC fan

I like you Tom, I like your Banter!!

I'm sure Liverpool will be just fine,

I thought that was the case with the housing development up there, but is this something that could be got around? like I said, businessmen don't go into something without the chance on making some sort of money.

Mr Heaney himself has said that he wants the club to be self sufficient in a few years, in my opinion I think he has already priced the club out of that by paying players well over what they need to at their current level. Will Truro ever make £5000/£10000 a week to cover costs?

I'm there to be proved wrong I suppose

Guest Terrier Tom

I like you Tom, I like your Banter!!

I'm sure Liverpool will be just fine,

I thought that was the case with the housing development up there, but is this something that could be got around? like I said, businessmen don't go into something without the chance on making some sort of money.

Mr Heaney himself has said that he wants the club to be self sufficient in a few years, in my opinion I think he has already priced the club out of that by paying players well over what they need to at their current level. Will Truro ever make £5000/£10000 a week to cover costs?

I'm there to be proved wrong I suppose

:D

There is absolutely no way around an LDF. They have it zoned for commercial. There is more chance of Liverpool winning the World Cup than getting housing up at that site. He and his 'team' will know that, but it will at least go some way to help fund his TCFC projects.

And Darren, EVERY businessman goes into football knowing they wont make a profit. Other business avenues, of course it's all about your margins, but not in football. Being the sensible man that you would need to be to make millions from scratch (like he reputedly has), I am sure Mr Heaney is well aware of this and is willing to forsake (for him) some money to fulfill a personal ambition. HELL - I would!!!!

No the club will never make that money and I the dream of becoming 'self sufficient', like all clubs dream, is perhaps not totally realistic - but worth targettting nevertheless!

As for paying over-the-odds for players. WHO CARES!? Isn't what Liverpool have been doing for the past 15 years!?!?

:yahoo:

Actually, I always thought Djimi Traore was worth his £30k a week!!! :unsure:

Leave Traore out of this, thats not fair!!

The man is a European Cup Winner!!!

I understand what you're saying about Truro, I've no idea what the situation is up there. But I'm sure that being the business man that Mr Heaney is, there's got to be a way of him recouping some of his money, it can't all go against Tax can it?