Cornwall Football Forum

Abuse of Referees

The Football Association have introduced a series of tough new mandatory bans for grassroots players who abuse referees following a strike last season of officials and a Telegraph campaign for action.

In a series of rule changes that will come into force for the 2017-18 season, players at all grassroots and youth levels will now receive an automatic and minimum five-year ban from football if they assault a referee. There will also be at least an 84-day ban and £100 fine for any physical contact with a match official. Verbal threats will now be sanctioned with a minimum ban of 56 days, or six matches, and a fine of £50.

County FAs have all been written to by the national governing body and told that disciplinary commissions must impose these sanctions and can further increase them based on any aggravating factors. The FA did previously have a series of recommendations for the punishment of serious misconduct but these were not mandatory and, as extensively reported by The Telegraph, many grassroots referees felt both endangered and unsupported.

ABOUT TIME !!!!!!!!!

On 26 July 2017 at 21:38, St Darren said:

Agree about time. But why isn't this implemented at the top level as well? 

Thryre playing the same sport therefore should have the same sanctions

You can't have the same sanctions right across the game. For instance you couldn't fine local players the same amount as premier league players are fined!

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

I believe that Di Canio was fined £10,000 and had an 11 match ban. What would the pro rata sanction be for, say, a Cornwall Combo player who does the same thing and is not paid for playing?

Probably something like having to pay another £4 sub before a game and cutting the oranges for half-time :c: 

But surely those at the top level should suffer the same ban!! If it got stopped at the top level it wouldn't happen at lower levels. 

But you also have to consider the difference in tolerance from referees with regards to abuse they receive. In my experience at local level they receive worse at swl level than trelawney league 

It annoys the bejebus out of me when football players scream, and rant at a referee. Left to me, I would simply say "off you go, take ten, and if you can't relax when you come back then off you go with a red". I would then also ban them for three games, and fine them their days match fee. This would stop their pitiful rants. 

I saw a few players screaming at the ref and linesmen over the weekend, and it is uncalled for. One of the officials (club linesmen) made a few mistakes at the Crediton United v Cronies game on Saturday, and some of the players screaming at him made far more mistakes with the football. 

An official isn't going to change his mind, and nor should he. But screaming at him is embarrassing, makes the player look like a nob, and is likely to influence the next decision against players said club.

Unfortunately, we all heard this (again) before the start of last season with the new tougher stance to be taken by refs and even the CCFA handing out some heavy bans (one of 182 days for threatening abuse in a friendly). Then during the season it all just died a death, the same foul mouth players swearing at officials, players and spectators / the same poorly behaved teams and manager getting away with blatant abuse and intimidation. Even in preseason I heard a player call the ref the 'c' word - the ref heard him and 'told him off' - the player then shouted at a spectator - 'it's football, if you don't like it don't come' ..... followed by more expletives. 

Its as plain as the day is long - refs and assistants need to deal with it and they have all the power to card and dismiss players. The fault is the players and clubs not the refs, but if it happens on the pitch - deal with it!

Some refs seem to think that it's a badge of honour' to allow players to have a go at them as it shows they can cope with it - rubbish - get the players off the pitch and if their managers and clubs don't deal with their behaviour they will end up not having 11 players and loosing points or being fined for failure to control their team. 

End of rant - but I pay to watch over 50 games a season and am sick to death of the non stop bickering and abuse by the few ruining it for the many.