Cornwall Football Forum

Vospers Oak Villa have pulled out of the ECPL

Probably the same reasons as other teams. Lack of players. I don't think they have a reserve side so it is difficult to keep 18 -20 players happy. I believe that the management team are the management team from Millbrook reserves last season.

A lot of players around the plymouth area are choosing to play p&d football as its local no travelling so they can work a half day on saturdays which is why the p&d is quite strong some very good sides in that league which showed in the windmill reaching the devon prem cup final last season i reckon four or five of the sides in that league would compete at the top of the ecpl 

Nice to see St John is still alive and kicking.  Mind you I don't know how.   he does talk rubbish.  Still if it makes his day why should we not enjoy his rantings   I think the word for Vospers is they are now defunct. 

Personally, I think it is better with 2 divisions, otherwise you could end up like the old South Western League.  There may come a time when the ECPL may have to have one division, would you still have relegation to the Duchy league. Or even amalgamate with the Duchy League.  Worse case scenario, no league(s) at all  

Over the years a lot of leagues have had to cut back due to lack of pitches, match officials and the cost to run a football, travelling etc etc.  Minimum of £1300 per season.  Then you have got the admin side of the club.  It can be an absolute nightmare.

Having a pop at the League does not help.  If they think they are a joke, then I suggest they put their name forward next season and join the committee.  Everyone involved in a Club or local league do it voluntarily,  just like having a full time job in some cases.

You will never please anyone though, some people live in the past and cannot move forward.  Local football has changed a lot over the last few years

Yep.  it does not have any problems.  There are 29 happy teams contesting two divisions and teams falling over themselves to join. . Yep such a shocking league.  Should be disbanded and grow carrots on the pitches.  Get a life St John.  In fact why haven't you put your name forward to join the committee.  Thought not.  But hey ho if it keeps you happy why should we complain.  You are a fun read, but now getting boring.    . 

All very boring seeing the same old issues repeating themselves season after season with no plan in place to address them.

Regular cancellation of matches and a high turnover of teams over a sustained period. 

Doesn't sound like senior football to me.

If getting a life means walking around with your head up your bottom and ignoring these facts, then I'll opt out.

Sad day for football in my eyes.

Having played for and against Vospers over the years, mainly back on the old Devon League days, it was a always a tough place to go and play and if you left Weston Mill with point, you done well.

Think playing in the West League has never done them any favours what with travelling to deep Cornwall every other week (although Martin Burgess & John Cole done well with the teams they had there at the respective times).

Heard tonight that the current Vospers side have left to take up a position with Ivybridge Town Reserves who play in the South Devon Football League.

Hope for local football that Vospers and their Chairman John Cooper get the team back to somewhere near where they should and used to be.

Good luck to all parties.

Oh St John you are so full of knowledge.  It must be very difficult speaking out of your backside.  Let me enlighten you.  It was the FA who insisted that it would be a two county league.  If clubs came down from the SWPL they did not want to go into a park league which is the P&D league. And yes to accommodate all the clubs wanting to enter it became a two division league.  Now can we please stop this nonsense about the league being to large it is down to the FA.  Indeed there are a large number of clubs falling over themselves trying to join what is a very good league.    

14 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Sad day for football in my eyes.

Having played for and against Vospers over the years, mainly back on the old Devon League days, it was a always a tough place to go and play and if you left Weston Mill with point, you done well.

Think playing in the West League has never done them any favours what with travelling to deep Cornwall every other week (although Martin Burgess & John Cole done well with the teams they had there at the respective times).

Heard tonight that the current Vospers side have left to take up a position with Ivybridge Town Reserves who play in the South Devon Football League.

Hope for local football that Vospers and their Chairman John Cooper get the team back to somewhere near where they should and used to be.

Good luck to all parties.

"Good luck to all parties" - especially Ivybridge it would seem. I've just been told it was the same group of people who left Millbrook last season after all their problems who then went to Vospers. 

2 hours ago, ECPL said:

Oh St John you are so full of knowledge.  It must be very difficult speaking out of your backside.  Let me enlighten you.  It was the FA who insisted that it would be a two county league.  If clubs came down from the SWPL they did not want to go into a park league which is the P&D league. And yes to accommodate all the clubs wanting to enter it became a two division league.  Now can we please stop this nonsense about the league being to large it is down to the FA.  Indeed there are a large number of clubs falling over themselves trying to join what is a very good league.    

It seems that the Vospers players were "falling over themselves" to do the exact opposite!

You very much remind me of the orchestra conductor on the Titanic :P

John Cooper was let down I believe. Yes this is a sad state for Vospers Oak Villa FC. The last two years been terrible for the football club. It all went wrong when the management left two years ago. The team that season would of held there own in the top half of the Premier division. I for one would of loved to of seen that side given the chance in the top league but as we all know the facilities at Weston Mill are not up to standard. Very sad days after being on the committee there. I would like to thank the players and management from the season two years ago which gave me the privilege to witness the best ever football iv witnessed at that level. They lost only one in last 19 to secure runners up to Helston who they done the double over. I really don't think this club will ever return now, such a shame they have always had a great team over the years.

St John.  You are a silly boy.  How is it when you lose an argument you go off on a tangent.  I was talking about the decision by the FA.  Seems you were unable to answer the question.  The Vospers players decided to follow their manager, nothing to do with the league .  Please get it right.   I am sure there is an organisation that can help you. 

The ECPL can go to the FA and propose whatever they want. You're argument is really weak and holds no water. It just makes the ECPL look silly for sitting on their hands.

At that point your flimsy views didn't really merit a sensible response and not much you say does either.

We live in a society of equality and diversity and people are allowed to have different views to you. Learn to deal with that and you might sound like less of a silly plonker on here.