Cornwall Football Forum

BICKLAND PARK 60TH ANNIVERSARY MATCH!!

With Falmouth's iconic old Bickland Park ground being due to become extinct in the not too distant future ?(gutted) the Falmouth Packet Sports editor Matt Dixon came up with the idea of playing a match in its memory! ?⚽ He texted me to try and round up a few of the old boys who have had so many good times on the hallowed turf to create a Cornwall/Town Legends team for the day. After several (failed) attempts going through my new phone with failing eyesight and chunky thumbs I've managed to come up with a bit of a squad!?! Obviously with it being the summer, there is holidays, family, etc to consider as the match is scheduled for Saturday 22nd July so things and players could change? Mr Steve Lawrence, a well known Falmouth referee has kindly offered to officiate on the day. If anyone sees this and fancies 20 minutes or just being there it'll nice to give her the send off she deserves!! The clubhouse end goal is probably my favourite place in the world (along with Amsterdam)! Be great to see some old friends. Reason for the massive squad is we're all decent old players but we're playing Westys Falmouth 1st team squad so we need the numbers!! Just hope it ain't hot!!! ? Open to suggestions or long lost friends and numbers!! Everybody welcome ? All roads lead to Bickland Park!!! (Saboo 1989) x

Sid Taylor, John Dent, Dave Philp, Kevin Miller.

Paddy Scrace, Tommy Matthews, Wayne Quinn, Duncan Powell,  Mark Hope, Andy Parr, Steve Jewell, Chris Strike, Wayne Brown.

George Torrance, Andy Street, Adrian Street, Mark Rowe, Ian Gosling, Dale Band, Gary Wheildon, Matt Salmon, Anthony Reynolds.

Phil Shapcott, Danny OHagan, Martin Gritton, Mark Rapsey, Alan Lenton, Damian Stevens.

Apologies from: Gary Wignall, Chris Long, Nigel Thwaites, Ron Vercesi, Tony Kenealy, Jake Ash, Dave Sweet, Luke Hodge, James miller, Pete Lewis. 

Been some squad 20 years ago!!! Go easy on us Westy!! Hope to see as many as possible there for a great Bickland send off! ?⚽?

Hi Mike, yeah thought of both mate, including many others but was going on the phone numbers I've got or been given. Wrote down bout 75 names on a sheet of paper when Dicko first mentioned it Mike!! If anyone wants to play feel free to call or text me on 07455987850. Or contact Dicko on 07443421626 or at the Falmouth Packet. Be great to hear from any of the old guys, it's a one off so be be nice to make a day of it to remember, Bickland deserves that, and we might even give Westys boys a game for the first 15 minutes!!! ? Already had a couple pull out from that original squad so as many players as poss be good, reckon we'll need about 20 on the day to make it with our old bones, chasing youngsters around!! Ronaldo has just scored so I'm off to watch the football! Cheers gents x⚽️

On 2017-6-21 at 07:30, Mike Odgers said:

The latest Falmouth veteran-Ross Pope would be a good asset

hope all goes well Mark.

Just came to mind Sean Flynn

Sean Flynn! One of if not THE best player to of played in the SWPL modern era, & in my opinion the last 25 years. A complete footballer (well he was an ex pro) the guy was a machine,  would treat 'Saturday football in Cornwall' as if he was still playing in the Premier league. Would & could boss any side & dressing room. Would certainly ruffle a few feathers in that Falmouth 'Legends' squad! :)

Yeah agree Leeds, great player! If you've got Seans number that would be great!!! Getting quite a few texts etc saying this player and that but a number with the name would be nice please anyone!!! I got quite a few mates but I don't know everyone's number!!!  ? Cheers ? ⚽️  Not sure we want any feathers ruffled thanks, just a good laugh, see some old mates, and give Bickland a nice send off and hope Westys youngsters don't get double figures!! Thanks ?

On 26/06/2017 at 22:38, Jacob-Englefield said:

In some ways I'm quite looking forward to this. It would be good to give an iconic ground in Bickland Park the send off it deserves.

On another note, when are Falmouth Town moving out, and where too?

Looks like next season, and about 100 yards up the hill to the old hospital site.

If I'm looking at the right site it was started about 6 weeks ago.

16 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Looks like next season, and about 100 yards up the hill to the old hospital site.

If I'm looking at the right site it was started about 6 weeks ago.

Going by other posts on here and comments I've seen elsewhere it did seem as though they were moving at the end of the season. They aren't moving that far then. Does anyone have any idea on what the new ground will look like?

I think it's more a celebration of 60 years at Bickland, rather than the immediate moving away from it.

The Falmouth Packet newspaper reveals more : "

The rich history of Bickland Park will be celebrated in a Packet supplement to be published on Wednesday, July 19.

The famous ground - once described as the "Wembley of the West" - is 60 years old and to mark it's birthday, Packet Sport's Matt Dixon has spoken to some of the men that presided over hugely successful eras at the club.

There will be old photographs, press cuttings, action pictures and interviews which capture the glory and drama that has unfolded there since 1957.

Further to the celebratory supplement, a mouthwatering pre-season match has been arranged between Falmouth Town and a Cornish Legends team."

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

I think it's more a celebration of 60 years at Bickland, rather than the immediate moving away from it.

The Falmouth Packet newspaper reveals more : "

The rich history of Bickland Park will be celebrated in a Packet supplement to be published on Wednesday, July 19.

The famous ground - once described as the "Wembley of the West" - is 60 years old and to mark it's birthday, Packet Sport's Matt Dixon has spoken to some of the men that presided over hugely successful eras at the club.

There will be old photographs, press cuttings, action pictures and interviews which capture the glory and drama that has unfolded there since 1957.

Further to the celebratory supplement, a mouthwatering pre-season match has been arranged between Falmouth Town and a Cornish Legends team."

It's definitely got to be some sort of celebration. You've only got to look at what's been achieved at the club over the years and the memories they'll have of some big teams coming down to play them. I'm sure it'll be a good occasion. I hope that it gets the crowd the game deserves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 22:24, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Certainly to my generation Falmouth will always be the yardstick to judge yourself by.

The Falmouth side of 60's & 70's would murder any of the teams they have had there in the last 35 years. When you are old enough to remember all the era's you can make the comparison. The side of the 60's & 70's far far far superior 

52 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

The Falmouth side of 60's & 70's would murder any of the teams they have had there in the last 35 years. When you are old enough to remember all the era's you can make the comparison. The side of the 60's & 70's far far far superior 

That is the era I'm talking about, they would beat all of the teams around today as well....including Bodmin.

I know - I used to watch them ....why do you think I'm called the older lol

Hi Mark, hope you're well mate. Yeah managed to get hold of Jimmy!! Must admit it's been a bit of a mission getting hold of people! Just sold my house and got a month to move to the new one so been a busy old couple weeks, add to that stuck in bed with a touch of flu! Hopefully we can give Bickland a nice old send off! Still gutted it's the last season for the ground, many happy memories for all of us there mate! Big Johns ashes scattered by his favourite spot behind the post clubhouse end, had a few slaps and hugs with him in that spot bless him. Great buzz walking down those steps with a packed stand and F Troop shouting behind the goals, fantastic times. ??⚽️?

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:38, Jacob-Englefield said:

In some ways I'm quite looking forward to this. It would be good to give an iconic ground in Bickland Park the send off it deserves.

On another note, when are Falmouth Town moving out, and where too?

Can someone from the Falmouth Town committee not give an update on the new ground and its facilities ?

On 19/07/2017 at 10:04, RAPPO said:

Hi Mark, hope you're well mate. Yeah managed to get hold of Jimmy!! Must admit it's been a bit of a mission getting hold of people! Just sold my house and got a month to move to the new one so been a busy old couple weeks, add to that stuck in bed with a touch of flu! Hopefully we can give Bickland a nice old send off! Still gutted it's the last season for the ground, many happy memories for all of us there mate! Big Johns ashes scattered by his favourite spot behind the post clubhouse end, had a few slaps and hugs with him in that spot bless him. Great buzz walking down those steps with a packed stand and F Troop shouting behind the goals, fantastic times. ??⚽️?

I'm good thanks Rappo. Good memories. Its a shame all good things must come to an end but the club certainly will have a new era with a new ground. It's a new generation of talented young players coming through these days. But my memories will always be from the teams of the 90's ( the 60's 70's before my time obviously) I certainly don't have much time to watch or volunteer at Falmouth these days, which is a shame. I have a young family. (2 girls that wouldnt be seen dead at a football match!) which restricts me, but still like to follow results etc. Take care.  

:smiley20:

Entertaining game with some cracking goals. Great to see so many of the 80's and 90's legends give up their time to help give the famous ground the send off it deserves. A typical Rappo hatrick (should've been 6) at the clubhouse end was a fitting finale to the game.

Thanks Varksy for being kind!! I made it 3 out of 7 mate!! The mind was willing but the disgraceful body and knees weren't!! I honestly think I need my glasses if I try and play again! That free far post header hit me on the nose!! Glad the boy took pity on his old man and gave him a couple of sitters! Glad I only played 20 minutes, I've had cramp 4 times since 4pm! ? Fantastic day though, brilliant to see all the lads again, some still as fit as 25 years ago, and some of us unfortunately not!! ? Still can't believe there won't be a Bickland Park in a years time.? I know times move on but that clubhouse end goal is my favourite place in the world along with Amsterdam of course!! My dad first took me to Bickland when I was about 7 watching that great Western League side in the mid seventies. Can still smell that mixture of liniment coming from the home changing room window and the onions from the tea hut up top at the back of the stand. It was always a dream to pull on that Black and Amber shirt one day and just so glad that I managed to do it and play in such a great team of talented players and even better blokes that will always be dear friends. Brilliant idea from Matt Dixon the sports editor with the Falmouth Packet for giving us old codgers one last little run(or walk) out at Bickland. The banter is still the same just not the six packs!! Thanks to JP (John Peters) for running the team today, it was hard work making sure everyone got a decent run! Some didn't even want to come off they were enjoying it that much! JP was a big help shuffling things around. We raised a glass and thoughts to our old bosses Ray Nicholls who was watching from up above and Trevor Mewton who has not been too well recently. Wish they both could have been there. Last but not least a big thanks to Westy for all his help in making it happen, Town are lucky to have a player manager with his love and drive for the club and it's in good hands, hope he stays for years to come. Think Town got the makings of a very young, quick, pacy side this season. Look forward to watching them. Big thanks to all the crowd today, coming out in the dodgy weather, made it a good atmosphere! I was back in the changing room when Sage scored our first goal and it was almost like old times when the roar from the stand went up! Thank you Bickland Park for all our happy memories, you'll always be the best ground in Cornwall ?

Thanks Rappo and Matt and of course all the others that made a brilliant day for us. It was fantastic to be playing on the hallowed turf again alongside some of my best mates and enjoyed it all. 

A special place for us all and underlined by the number of players who wore the shirt and the fabulous crowd who made an effort to watch us. 

Lucky guys!

Good luck to Westy and his team this year and to Falmouth Town going forward. 

Tommy

The scoreline was immaterial....the conditions on the odd occasion  a little wet...but no one can deny that there was more than the odd flash of brilliance on the field and when it came to the "Legends" and the phrase "form is temporary, class is permanent" .... never truer! Several could still hold there own in the SWPL..if only for 30/40 minutes. Others however looked as though they were still playing regularl....standing out were Tommy M in defence,  Philpy still the "boss" in his penalty area and Bandy with the football brain constantly working...but the rest put in good shifts....even if at the end they played with 16!:SM_carton_y: As for "Rappo" the brain works faster than the body these days....the missed header....say no more!

As for the current Town squad....a good mix and they played the game in a good spirit and put together several good moves. They took the odd "robust" challenge from  the "legends" but that will put them in good stead for the coming season.

As for Bickland, as a regular visitor both in and on the ground since the 60's, it will be the end of an era when it goes but who knows..perhaps for the better?

At least the roof in the referees dressing room will not leak!

4 hours ago, Steve Lawrence said:

The scoreline was immaterial....the conditions on the odd occasion  a little wet...but no one can deny that there was more than the odd flash of brilliance on the field and when it came to the "Legends" and the phrase "form is temporary, class is permanent" .... never truer! Several could still hold there own in the SWPL..if only for 30/40 minutes. Others however looked as though they were still playing regularl....standing out were Tommy M in defence,  Philpy still the "boss" in his penalty area and Bandy with the football brain constantly working...but the rest put in good shifts....even if at the end they played with 16!:SM_carton_y: As for "Rappo" the brain works faster than the body these days....the missed header....say no more!

As for the current Town squad....a good mix and they played the game in a good spirit and put together several good moves. They took the odd "robust" challenge from  the "legends" but that will put them in good stead for the coming season.

As for Bickland, as a regular visitor both in and on the ground since the 60's, it will be the end of an era when it goes but who knows..perhaps for the better?

At least the roof in the referees dressing room will not leak!

Which side of that line do you fit in "herbie" ....:yahoo:

"form is temporary ///// class is permanent" .

Thanks again for doing such a great job Steve and for letting us slip a few 'extras' on including Rudders your Lino last ten minutes!!! Great day and like you say a few of the lads could still play a good level I reckon, don't think Tommy has put on one pound since his playing days!! Lovely to get one last chance to walk out on to the hallowed turf! Good luck to Westy and Town hope they have a memorable last season at Bickland ?⚽️