Cornwall Football Forum

New Under-16 side at Truro City

Truro City Football Club will be creating its NEW Youth football training programme starting with an under 16's team for the 2017-18 season.

This scheme aims to prepare disciplined, young, local players for higher level of the game.

The team will be guided by Ian Leigh and Deba Sidhu with an aim to develop this scheme further by introducing younger age groups in the near future. 

For more details, e-mail:
debasidhu@trurocityfc.net

I would tick the 'like' because something has needed doing on the youth side for far too long, however it raises a question of what form this venture will take in view of the secrecy and the apparent selective procedure that appears to have been put in place, keeping it all quiet since the end of last season and RECRUITING lads, is it going to be the result of other youth football groups in the area cultivating the talent and Truro City whipping the cream off the top because that's NOT what is wanted, the word recruitment suggests that may be the case. During my long time involvement with football every youth team organisation has had teams of all ages and if numbers dictate many teams formed in each age group, there were times we had 3 or 4 hundred lads training and playing at weekends spaced out with set times for each group, the smaller ones had one hour sessions then a 15 minute break for the change over to the following groups and so on, Saturday mornings and all day Sunday it was good because it didn't need recruitment it was open to all ages no matter how good or how bad they were, if the lads wanted to kick ball the lads kicked ball. The moral of it was not that many advanced to the higher levels of the game the demands have always been great for that but those lads who didn't quite make it still enjoyed taking part and later became non playing football SUPPORTERS. My question is - ,is it to be a closed shop for a select few? - I think Glynn Hooper, may hold the trump card when it comes to Cornish youth football.

17 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Truro City Football Club will be creating its NEW Youth football training programme starting with an under 16's team for the 2017-18 season.

This scheme aims to prepare disciplined, young, local players for higher level of the game.

The team will be guided by Ian Leigh and Deba Sidhu with an aim to develop this scheme further by introducing younger age groups in the near future. 

It was mentioned to me "Obviously Experienced" - Why obviously experienced?

8, 9 and 10 years and so on need somewhere to hone their skills so it is as I described SELECTION following other peoples efforts doing the first stage of their development, surely those who have taken them that far would have the confidence of the parents to guide them through the more experienced elements of football advancement. - Let's face it the clubs record for fringe teams isn't good, Reserves gone, Ladies gone, Ladies again gone, ladies again gone. many of the Pyramid N/L clubs have dozens of youth teams of ALL AGES bearing their names coached by volunteers. so what age groups does the new initiative cover? Just one - The youth set ups I describe are non profit making, funded by a small weekly subscription from each child to cover the cost of pitch, field hire etc.

I understand this is what TCFC also lost from the past but is successful now. - https://www.facebook.com/Truro-City-Youth-Football-Club-Community-Football-Programme-1405424393041271/

On 6/5/2017 at 23:56, Dave Deacon said:

Anyone know where they will be playing there home matches, Treyew Road, Truro College, Kenwyn, Malpas, Truro School, Penair, Richard Lander, was just wondering.:c:

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Malpas would be a good choice ....it's where TCFC will end up in a few years.

You've got such an interest in Truro Older that I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up playing down Penryn! Nothing wrong with Penryn, but it looks better from Truro! Anyway I once spent a week down Penryn one day! 

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

You've got such an interest in Truro Older that I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up playing down Penryn! Nothing wrong with Penryn, but it looks better from Truro! Anyway I once spent a week down Penryn one day! 

Nothing wrong with Truro either Goldy ....my mother was a Truro girl, and over half of my family live still in Truro today.

Spent many, many happy days over Truro ....... although none at TCFC.

I tell a lie, had a good afternoon in the clubhouse once, Tabby, JT, Hawkey, Scud, Dessy, that paramedic geezer ....can't remember his name (?)

Not a bad afternoon after a final we were in.

Edited by TheolderIgetthebetterIwas

39 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Nothing wrong with Truro either Goldy ....my mother was a Truro girl, and over half of my family live still in Truro today.

Spent many, many happy days over Truro ....... although none at TCFC.

I tell a lie, had a good afternoon in the clubhouse once, Tabby, JT, Hawkey, Scud, Dessy, that paramedic geezer ....can't remember his name (?)

Not a bad afternoon after a final we were in.

Haydn Jose.??

Truro City has a great 3rd team, they got rid of them.

Had a half decent SWPL team that if supported could of progressed, got rid of them because the manager didn't want them on the pitch.

So where will Truro Academy play? Malpus 

The reality is if a player is decent in this area he is going to play for Argyle Youth.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

What is the saying : "Damned if you do, damned if you don't!"

Dave, just have to accept that even if Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge at Truro City there would still be people on here criticising and thinking they could do a better job. They like to talk the talk, safe in the knowledge that they will never have to walk the walk!

I'm hoping my step son plays for Truro City U16 next year.

He was a member of Truro Youth (not linked to Truro City) Cobra's U15 team last year, this team was unfairly folded by their youth organisation and without consideration almost certainly seeing the end on many young boys careers. 

Several of these players have been acquired by other teams for next season, leaving the few who where hopeful the team would be re-instated without football in there last junior year.

However, thanks to the hard work, commitment and loyalty of Deba Sidhu and the support of Truro City Football Club these boys will not have there playing career cut short. They do need more players to make this dream come true and hopefully this will get support, rather than criticism.

Whatever Truro City choose to do in the future with regards to youth football and where ever this team leads to is unknown by me, what can not be taken away is: it is for the good of Cornish football, it is for the good of youth football and it is for the good of all the individuals that will be involved in this venture.

Well done Truro City

23 minutes ago, Goldeneye said:

Dave, just have to accept that even if Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge at Truro City there would still be people on here criticising and thinking they could do a better job. They like to talk the talk, safe in the knowledge that they will never have to walk the walk!

Ferguson was a football manager.

Masters is a football Chairman.

What rubbish you spout.

You cant even " talk the talk ".

1 hour ago, Tregony Red said:

I'm hoping my step son plays for Truro City U16 next year.

He was a member of Truro Youth (not linked to Truro City) Cobra's U15 team last year, this team was unfairly folded by their youth organisation and without consideration almost certainly seeing the end on many young boys careers. 

Several of these players have been acquired by other teams for next season, leaving the few who where hopeful the team would be re-instated without football in there last junior year.

However, thanks to the hard work, commitment and loyalty of Deba Sidhu and the support of Truro City Football Club these boys will not have there playing career cut short. They do need more players to make this dream come true and hopefully this will get support, rather than criticism.

Whatever Truro City choose to do in the future with regards to youth football and where ever this team leads to is unknown by me, what can not be taken away is: it is for the good of Cornish football, it is for the good of youth football and it is for the good of all the individuals that will be involved in this venture.

Well done Truro City

Hope for the sake of the lads affected that this keeps them involved and interested in football. 

7 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Hey Mr Goldenballs you must be licking Truro Postie backside!!!!

On 8 June 2017 at 11:18, somersetspur said:

Ferguson was a football manager.

Masters is a football Chairman.

What rubbish you spout.

You cant even " talk the talk ".

Breaking news SSS, some players go on to become managers and some players / managers go on to become club chairmen! (eg: Niall Quin). I think Ferguson would just about be experienced enough to do the job! You really don't have a clue! Anyway, why don't you give it a go  and show us all how it should be done! Yo could start off with a subuteo team and work your way up.?

3 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Breaking news SSS, some players go on to become managers and some players / managers go on to become club chairmen! (eg: Niall Quin). I think Ferguson would just about be experienced enough to do the job! You really don't have a clue! Anyway, why don't you give it a go  and show us all how it should be done! Yo could start off with a subuteo team and work your way up.?

I rest my case.

Full of ££££.

After looking into this story for more information,it is a very interesting situation.

At the end of last season it appears this Under 16 set up,was disbanded with immeadiate effect from  TCYFC,after some problems.

It appears some of these lads have found other Clubs,but some have'nt.

In steps Deba Sidhu and Ian Leigh.

So this new set up with Truro City,dont seem to have any links with TCYFC.

Lets hope Deba and Ian,have more than just football coaching skills.They may need them.

On 2017-6-10 at 15:02, somersetspur said:

After looking into this story for more information,it is a very interesting situation.

At the end of last season it appears this Under 16 set up,was disbanded with immeadiate effect from  TCYFC,after some problems.

It appears some of these lads have found other Clubs,but some have'nt.

In steps Deba Sidhu and Ian Leigh.

So this new set up with Truro City,dont seem to have any links with TCYFC.

Lets hope Deba and Ian,have more than just football coaching skills.They may need them.

A year is not long in football, come a few more lads with birthdays and TCYFC under 16's could be up and winning once more.

As you say SS it has been suggested there have been problems at under 16 level this season with TCYFC, I am disappointed TCFC have jumped into the melting pot and chosen to commence in the age group those problems occurred. I don't consider fanning the flames associated with other peoples baggage is the wisest move.

The wiser move would surely have been to reform the Reserve side.