Cornwall Football Forum

FA Cup Final

And so the day that used to be the most important in English football has come around again, FA Cup Final day. For some reason the "magic" of the cup has dwindled in the last 20 years or so, with things such as finishing in the top 4 over taking it. Any ideas how this can be improved? 

In terms of the game, I can't see anything other that a win for the mighty blues. If you go on form and player availability, it's a no brainer. However, bigger cupsets have happened in the past, with ourselves overcoming an extremely powerful and talented Bayern side to lift the Champions League only a few years ago with several key players out. Should make for an interesting game 

Get the final back on at 3pm. Give more tickets to the fans of the clubs who get to the final. 

In earlier rounds, don't spread the games out over 4 days. 

Semi finals at Wembley!! Fans don't want that  

Tv has ruined football as a sport because of the money involved. The best day in the calendar used to be the first Saturday in January when all 3rd round games were played. Now there's about 7 played. 

The FA have ruined their own competition 

Agree, remember the old days when the FA Cup Final was the only live game all year!! 3pm on a sunny May Saturday out in the garden straight after the game pretending to be Glenn Hoddle, Ian Rush, or Gary Lineker!!! Different world today! On the plus side at least you can watch the Scottish final then turn over for the English one!! ??⚽️

I'm with you all. Although I wasn't around for the 'old school' days I miss everything that made the FA Cup what it was. Watching two teams play a semi final at someone else's ground always had that special feeling, having the final as a stand alone game at 3pm with a whole day worth of build up. Even, like mentioned above, having the earlier rounds spread across 4 days is ridiculous. I believe Man Utd have had their last 25 FA Cup games shown live on TV! Its almost completely ruined 

Yeah I enjoy Scottish football Keith, only got six more grounds to visit on my pin badge mission!! Met some cracking and interesting people along the way. Chairman, secretaries, groundsmen, supporters. Still get the VIP treatment at Albion Rovers, Stirling Albion and Montrose!! Usually watch Celtic with the bro in law but if they're away I'll go to Patrick Thistle, St.Mirren, Kilmarnock or Clyde usually. Lot of 3G pitches up there in the lower divisions but you can understand that if you spend a winter or two in Scotland!!! I like the old charismatic stands you don't get anymore with these plush new stadiums, don't get me wrong, lovely and all that but got no soul. Half the stands I've sat in are an accident waiting to happen! The Taylor report don't exist at Brechin City!! The football is good to watch, 100 miles an hour and some of the tackles make you wince but it's proper football, not your La Liga on the technical front but great entertainment. Always enjoy watching the standards in different countries, different leagues, footy is footy ain't it, never get enough of that, even enjoy a trip to Lafrowda Park now and again Keith!!! ?⚽️?

Well played Arsenal deserved the win. Thought the first goal was handball myself but given how poor we were I really can't complain as we could have easily lost by 4 or 5. Moses is an absolute idiot for that red card, why dive when you're on a yellow and have a shot on goal? Absolute cheat and deserved the second yellow, a very good, but brave, call from the referee. At least we won the title to ease the wounds! Bring on next season

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes well done assenhole ......great shame for us that you managed to become a team on the last day of the season.

Still ....tomorrows another day and last season will become history again.

They made history today  13 FA cups , Arsene has won 7 in his reign   , no matter what you think of the man he deserves his place in history .

The decision to award the goal yesterday is a great lesson for all of us. Many, many referees would have blown for offside yesterday. The lawbook clearly states that the player is offside if he attempts to play (or does play) the ball. How many times do we see it at our level a player who is in an offside position (but not interfering with play) penalised? A fantastic lesson observed yesterday with a great piece of refereeing, aswell as good play between the two arsenal players involved during that final phase of play.

The ref yesterday was very good and a second yellow for Moses was spot on , about time as pundits call simulation I call cheating  , hopefully this will become the norm next season  a good final ,end to end , saves , drama , and the ref contributed to it by letting the game flow and being in the right place for the big descions  , and to top it all a win for Arsenal .

I believe the referees will be punishing simulation more from next season. The FA will be reviewing moments in the game where it appears that a player has dived, punishing with a two game ban. The referees would much rather deal with it on the day rather than have the FA deal with it after the game; it would mean that they have all missed a key incident in the game. There are four of them working as a team, they just need to work together to try and deal with simulation when it arises. The referee yesterday was massively helped by his positioning, which was spot on during the game. I'd have liked to have seen Costa cautioned for dissent when he went off on his rant, but that's a personal preference.

I think it helped that both teams just got on with the game, on the whole accepting the decisions made by the officials.

Irrespective of wether certain decisions were right or wrong Arsenal were far the better side on the day and fully deserved the win. With regard to the controversial decisions, did those on here stick with their opinion on their first view or after seeing them in slow-mo from 4 different angles!

2 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

Irrespective of wether certain decisions were right or wrong Arsenal were far the better side on the day and fully deserved the win. With regard to the controversial decisions, did those on here stick with their opinion on their first view or after seeing them in slow-mo from 4 different angles!

Arsenal were much better than Chelsea all over the park, thoroughly deserving the win.

In real time, I thought handball and offside. After replays, I again thought handball and offside. Watch a little longer, I think the handball could have gone either way. It wasn't deliberate (in my opinion) so the referee was correct not to penalise... The offside again could have gone either way, depending on your interpretation of the offside law. However, I think that the goal could have either stood or been disallowed and no-one would really argue.

A very good game I thought.

5 hours ago, baldy said:

Just have to say, I knew 2 people from the SW who were going ydy, 1 from Falmouth & 1 from N.Abbott. Ran into both of them outside the ground, 1 before & the other after the game. What are the odds of that!

One of our boys was swimming off the barrier reef many, many years ago .....out the water popped a geezer he played against for Constantine :excl:

On 2017-5-28 at 15:17, baldy said:

Just have to say, I knew 2 people from the SW who were going ydy, 1 from Falmouth & 1 from N.Abbott. Ran into both of them outside the ground, 1 before & the other after the game. What are the odds of that!

Was the Chelsea end? Newton Abbott lad could be from the same supporters club as myself