Cornwall Football Forum

Elephant in the room.

Money in local football  ?  Should there be a cap on what clubs pay  players ?  Do clubs declare to their leagues / taxman what is paid ?  Or do they have to  ?  I have only come across one player who has said that he goes were the money is being offered as he has a young family which was very honest on his behalf .  Can clubs sustain paying when there are not so many people coming through the gate / bar ?  This is not a post picking on any club, players but hopefully some debate and not  this club pays x amount   ., Which we have all heard rumours about the so called money being paid to players .

A few clubs being looked at from the top down so I believe. May take a while to get down to step 6 or 7 but it will happen and retrospectively as well. Clubs have been caught out in the past, don't think it won't happen again. Maybe this should be looked at when clubs submit their accounts to the Country FAs.

You can`t regulate or track all "payments" to players.  Some do it in the form of food, kit, cash, holidays, cheap building work, cheap equipment, "goodwill" etc etc etc

The fact is that players will move clubs for an extra fiver and unless something radical is done the problem will never go away.

Accounts are financial statistics and statistics show a particular point of view!

MQx

It's been going on for years and years and I can't see it stopping. Technically, under FA Regulations, players have to be on a contract to receive anything above actual travel expenses at the going rate (46p per mile maximum I believe). Each claim for such a payment has to be made in writing with details of each journey made, duly signed by the player and the Club. It would certainly generate a lot of paper over the six year period Clubs are supposed to retain the records - in case HMRC come-a-calling!

To make life even more difficult, Clubs cannot create their own contracts for players - they have to be obtained from the FA; Clubs would also have to comply with employment regulations - minimum wage/holiday pay etc. Money in the boot is obviously the preferred option !

3 hours ago, John Mead said:

It's been going on for years and years and I can't see it stopping. Technically, under FA Regulations, players have to be on a contract to receive anything above actual travel expenses at the going rate (46p per mile maximum I believe). Each claim for such a payment has to be made in writing with details of each journey made, duly signed by the player and the Club. It would certainly generate a lot of paper over the six year period Clubs are supposed to retain the records - in case HMRC come-a-calling!

To make life even more difficult, Clubs cannot create their own contracts for players - they have to be obtained from the FA; Clubs would also have to comply with employment regulations - minimum wage/holiday pay etc. Money in the boot is obviously the preferred option !

In most cases the money doesn't come from the club it comes from an outside source so as far as far as the club goes there is no case to answer, but I'm not sure we're the individual being paid to play stands. Tax threshold applies I would imagine.

3 hours ago, John Mead said:

Believe me, if it can be proved that a player is being paid to play for a Club - what ever the source of the money - HMRC would hold the Club responsible for any tax liability. I accept it would be difficult to prove though!

Could it be regarded as a gift from a philanthropist. No idea just guessing.

6 hours ago, John Mead said:

Believe me, if it can be proved that a player is being paid to play for a Club - what ever the source of the money - HMRC would hold the Club responsible for any tax liability. I accept it would be difficult to prove though!

Will Penzance have to account to HMRC for the payments made to all those players who from January were paid to appear for the club they said they love?

Just now, Anne Teake said:

Will Penzance have to account to HMRC for the payments made to all those players who from January were paid to appear for the club they said they love?

Anne I didn't start the post to point the finger at clubs or players but wanted a debate to see how forum users see how payments affect clubs finances and do they Impact on clubs when the money runs out be it sponsorship  , takings from bar, car boots or ? men , should the FA ( Cornish) try to cap payments or is it leagues responsibility  ?  

3 hours ago, Tribute said:

How can they cap payments when no one gets paid ?

And there in lies the problem - every season there is talk about HMRC and tax liability - then during the season, every week there are debates about who is paying what and what for and whilst there is no transparency it will always be. 

At this level it is noones business who gets paid what, except the player and club and I am certain players will notify the taxman of the liability (lol).

If every club announced their playing budget it would solve the mystery -but give us little to talk about. 

On 2017-5-9 at 22:28, Anne Teake said:

A true love affair! I adore romantic stories with a happy ending.