Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall FA Groundsman of the Year 2017

WendronOfficial

I'm delighted to announce that Peter Thorne of Wendron United FC has won the Groundsman of the year for 2017. 

Unsure of the process but thank you to those who came to the decision. 

How Pete makes any money I don't know, as he is at the club 24/7 upkeeping the ground in various ways. Not only does he maintain our main pitch, but also our back pitch and youth pitches. 

He also built our main stand with his own hands and his passion for local football and Wendron FC is evident for all to see. 

Of course, there is a great team behind him who assist his work, including Treve Matthews and the many managers, players and officials who help maintain our facilities. 

We've come along way in recent years and hope to continue to improve on and off the pitch. 

Thank you to the Cornwall FA for recognising the hard work Pete does to provide us with the facilities we have, and on behalf of all of Wendron United; thank you Peter for all you do for our club. 

(I am not Peter Thorne and neither has he asked me to write this).

Viva la Dron

Delighted to travel down to Wendron on Wednesday evening and present the award to Peter.

New stand since i was there last, solar panels and 'hot rocks' heating system installed, And of course a superb playing surface.

None of this would happen without tremendous dedication to the future of the club. 

Good to met up with Kevin Williamson also. Reminded me that his boy Simon still admiring his County Youth Cap from 2003/04.

Well done everyone.:thumbsup:

Congrats to everyone at Wendron and especially Pete!! If every club had someone like him it would be a lot easier. Total dedication for years and a great bloke to go with it! Looking fantastic last time I popped down, looks great with the new stand running all the way down one side. Got to be the Peter Thorne Stand hasn't it! Well done mate. ????