Cornwall Football Forum

It was indeed a bad night,for Tom to return back between the sticks.

A poor performance.

Truro City are in big trouble,full stop,and we all know where it stems from.

If Truro dont win at home to Whitehawk on Saturday,I would say they are doomed.

I believe there were around 20 Truro supporters that made the the trip.

I was there last night. I prefer to watch the action from the sidelines as opposed to behind the goal but can confirm the faithful travellers were in good voice. There was some good-natured banter with a group of Poole supporters who chose to watch the second half from the same end! The crowd was around 500 - pretty decent for a Tuesday night game, but there seemed to be an air of expectation about the homes fans - lots of songs about going up to the National League.

We looked bright in the first few minutes and had a good early chance, but, much like at Dartford at the weekend, the home team soon settled in to a rhythm and began to pass the ball around with confidence. As they did so, our own confidence seemed to waver, although we occasionally mounted a promising foray into their half. I think it was River Allen who made a strong run into the area and pelted a good-looking shot on goal, only for the ball to hit another Truro player... it was that kind of night.

As the first half wore on it looked inevitable that Poole would score. They clattered the crossbar and the post on different attacks. The latter effort came after their player simply danced around three Truro statues. When they came, both goals were straightforward crosses into the box not dealt with properly.

Yet again, our reliance on long ball attacks in the first half was baffling. It's been this way for much of the season: a ball in the air roughly in the direction of our attackers is easily cut out by our opponents' defence, and we hand them the chance to build an attack. It didn't work effectively last August and it doesn't work effectively now.

The Poole pitch is extremely wide - perfect for a neat passing game on the ground, as our hosts proved during a passage of play where their fans started chanting 'olé' with each successful pass...

2-0 at half-time was a fair score.

We were a much improved team in the second half, when Niall Thompson and Cody Cooke came on. Niall added some width on the left, Cody brought some much-needed industry in midfield. Granted, Poole didn't need to attack as much, but they looked genuinely unsettled on occasion when we pushed forward and - crucially - kept the passing short and built from the back and down the wings. There were quite a few shaky back passes to their keeper. We probably shaded the half, or at least matched them.

Therein lies the problem for the remaining games. We have played quite well in patches of the last few matches against tough opponents, but it usually only happens when we're losing and chasing the game. Prior to that, we're too predictable and one-dimensional in our attacks. Our players lack the confidence to push forward - despite evidence that we play better when we go on the front foot. We give away clumsy free kicks in dangerous areas. We are second to 50/50 balls too often.

I'm convinced we still have a fairly decent crop of players here - good enough to stay in this league - but for some reason it just isn't happening for them.