Cornwall Football Forum

Complain to BBC Truro City opps! I mean Cornwall

Guest plainmoor

Guest plainmoor

What a load of crap todays programme was, all that football going on and we get updates from probus v truro (surprise, surprise) and blazey v illogan, then first report of the day was truro.

Rugby all the way through no surprise there, then instead of starting the football half hour early they stick a blooming record on, or maybe Emma was trying to send us all a message with the title of the song, "you can say what you want, but I won't change my mind"

Doors open and they can close behind you, don't forget to firmly slam yours my dear lady behind you.

Sod local stuff I'll now be tuning into 5 live, forever, with the odd flick over if I can dodge the rugby.

Couldn't help but add my three pence worth. Four rugby matches in Cornish Pirates, Cornish All Blacks, Redruth and Mounts Bay featured heavily on todays BBC Radio Cornwall Sports program whilst we had just one football match in St Blazey v Illogan. Waste an absolute waste of a show, it was so bad that I switched off. Then to top it off I turned back on to listen to Dave Deacons half hour and get the results and what did I get? A song from Texas. That's it as far as I'm concerned my Saturdays from now on are the same as Plainmoor. Take a game in and listen to 5 live then on the way home switch Radio Rugby (Cornwall) on at 20 to 6 to hear all of Dave's show. What an excuse for a sports program. Rubbish!!!!! <_<

Three things come to mind:-

1. A quick count in the West Briton reveals lees than 60 Rugby teams in Cornwall - compaired to nearly 250 Football teams playing on Saturdays: if you add those who play on Sundays ans Ladies teams, Football far out-weighs Rugby as the major sport in Cornwall.

2. From the numbers reportedly watching Rugby each week, everyone who needs to know about the games are present so there is no need to have the games on the Radio - unless the fixture is out of Cornwall - and little need to fill the weekly newspapers with match reports.

3 While I wish Truro City every success in their quest to climb up the leagues, it can hardly "be good for Cornish Football" if their increased attendances mean that other Clubs are loosing revenue because their gates are falling!

Guest plainmoor

1. A quick count in the West Briton reveals lees than 60 Rugby teams in Cornwall - compaired to nearly 250 Football teams playing on Saturdays: if you add those who play on Sundays ans Ladies teams, Football far out-weighs Rugby as the major sport in Cornwall.

2. From the numbers reportedly watching Rugby each week, everyone who needs to know about the games are present so there is no need to have the games on the Radio - unless the fixture is out of Cornwall - and little need to fill the weekly newspapers with match reports.

3 While I wish Truro City every success in their quest to climb up the leagues, it can hardly "be good for Cornish Football" if their increased attendances mean that other Clubs are loosing revenue because their gates are falling!

I don't know who you are but you have put across 3 very worth while and valid points.

I think the main thing that everyone wants is parity at present it feels like the radio is discriminating other sports in favour of rugby and other football clubs in favour of truro city, no one is asking for the lions share, just an equal share.

Listening last saturday, we live match reports from the blazey match and the truro match, with no disrespect to probus it was never going to be a giant killing was it?

If chris webb can give updates about his team on the radio, then why can't others do the same or do the radio suits not want any more up to the minute updates?

How hard would it be to have a recording machine at the end of a phone line so that people (fans) chairmen, secretaries etc could ring up and tell the people of cornwall and devon about the goals, missed/scored penalties, sending offs and anything else that may be of interest as it happens, the radio always breaks off to listen to some one talking through a try or attempted conversion so why not have it for footabll?

Surely there are people out there who would love the oppotunity to give match reports as they happen or is this kept for the likes of mr webb? again discrimination.

What happens if you do phone up and give your info to a person on the end of a phone?.......................answer nothing for at least 10 minutes and by the time it goes out on air, it's out of date and not relevant.

It appears that the radio is fast becoming like your ccfa, boring old suits that think they know best, no official comments from anyone and a dislike of change because it will interupt their cushy little number.

Once again whats wrong with the' common' supporter or team official talking live on the radio?

Guest plainmoor

http://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/forum/uploads/post-591-1196278687.jpgWell chaps I guess nothings going to happen as the picture above even shows emma vardy kissing the RUGBY world cup, so I guess we know where her priorities lie don't we?

To make a complaint to her direct or offer some constuctive critisism then you can contact her theough her email address which is emma.vardy@bbc.co.uk

It was also disappointing to see mr deacons first reply regarding this matter with no reference to how to contact the radio station and then he brushes it all over with "guess where i'm going to be this saturday"

Will the ms vardy ever have the decency to answer all our questions or is it a case of 'I'm all right Jack, I'm doing very nicely thank you and I've got a cornish job that pays more than 3 of you football supporters put together'

I hear bbc solent are looking for a new hack?

I don't normally get involved in forum discussions. I do travel around a bit. Listen in to other BBC local stations and hear what their sports programmes are like. You can listen online, of course. Just go to bbc.co.uk and click on "all radio" and from there follow links to local stations. I think people down here might be surprised at the pattern that emerges. I would guess that Radio Cornwall is just being brought into line with what other regions are doing. I could be wrong.

I think a great deal of the problem comes down to the fact that sport generally is a low priority for the BBC both at national and more relevantly local radio level.

You have to remember that the only "professional" is the presenter and the rest are keen "amateur" contrubutors without who there would be no show. I am sure they get paid peanuts and do its a labour of love. Surely a solution to the problem would be to use the various wavebands available eg medium and FM to try and cater for as many people as possible. So the rugby could be on FM and the footie or medium wave. This happens in Devon in particular where they have a lot of big teams both football and rugby. I suspect it comes down to resources and a will to act. People could then tune in to what they were particualarly interested in and also receive regular updates of other games. Dont blame the poor contributors its the BBC big wigs who need to act. Cornwall has never been stronger sportswise and the radio should reflect this.

first point is wrong i can assure u there is far more then 60 i culd name 50 off top of my head

and dont forget how much higher standard they are playing but i agree its unfair how little air time football gets

should sort something out