Cornwall Football Forum

Heavy defeat!

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

How many of Truro City live in Cornwall?- It must have been an almost empty coach when it arrived back home from Hungerford.

How many Manchester United players are from Manchester?

How many Chelsea players are from London?

how many Falmouth town players live in Falmouth?

how many Penzance players live in Penzance?..........could go on forever!

its all relative! unfortunately geographically to cope in that league and or even get promoted they have to look further and further afield! and spend more and more money! ITS NOT SUSTAINABLE OR HARD TO SEE!

4 minutes ago, Mr Mo said:

How many Manchester United players are from Manchester?

How many Chelsea players are from London?

how many Falmouth town players live in Falmouth?

how many Penzance players live in Penzance?..........could go on forever!

its all relative! unfortunately geographically to cope in that league and or even get promoted they have to look further and further afield! and spend more and more money! ITS NOT SUSTAINABLE OR HARD TO SEE!

Funny that. When searching through the microfilm records about a month ago, I spotted a newspaper photo (can't remember name of the player or season) who played for Falmouth Town. He was in the ground alone, running in front of the stand. I remember the caption as it said ????, of Falmouth Town has to climb over the gate to Bickland Park then train on his own as he is the only Falmouth based player in the squad. 

Perhaps someone else has seen that photo. It would have been in The West Briton.

2 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

How many of Truro City live in Cornwall?- It must have been an almost empty coach when it arrived back home from Hungerford.

I was thinking as a matter of interest as now Jake has gone he was probably the last to get home last season-Oh and then there is Cody Cooke.

not a big football appetite to play on a wet winter Monday night so far away but perhaps it will be more local next season with the squad closer to home at Plainmoor.

Definitely not having a dig at Truro just putting it all into perspective

5 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Funny that. When searching through the microfilm records about a month ago, I spotted a newspaper photo (can't remember name of the player or season) who played for Falmouth Town. He was in the ground alone, running in front of the stand. I remember the caption as it said ????, of Falmouth Town has to climb over the gate to Bickland Park then train on his own as he is the only Falmouth based player in the squad. 

Perhaps someone else has seen that photo. It would have been in The West Briton.

That was the legend that is John Garwood. He was the only amateur in Falmouth Town's 1962/63 FA Cup 1st Round reaching team. The most momentous game in the club's history and he had to go back to work a few hours after the game. He never took a penny from football but was good enough to have Tony Kellow in his pocket and when Kellow swapped sides, John did the same.

In the 1950s there was a 15 or 20 mile radius rule and you could only sign for a team within that distance from your house.

19 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

That was the legend that is John Garwood. He was the only amateur in Falmouth Town's 1962/63 FA Cup 1st Round reaching team. The most momentous game in the club's history and he had to go back to work a few hours after the game. He never took a penny from football but was good enough to have Tony Kellow in his pocket and when Kellow swapped sides, John did the same.

In the 1950s there was a 15 or 20 mile radius rule and you could only sign for a team within that distance from your house.

I am sure it was later than that as I was researching the 1990's.

1 hour ago, JENGLE said:

St John, Truro are on paper the best team in Cornwall. It would be interesting to see what the score would be if they played their closest rivals. So the likes of Bodmin, St Austell, Saltash, Falmouth and Plymouth Argyle Reserves.

Surely you can judge how good cornish teams are by how they do in the FA Vase.

14 hours ago, JENGLE said:

St John, Truro are on paper the best team in Cornwall. It would be interesting to see what the score would be if they played their closest rivals. So the likes of Bodmin, St Austell, Saltash, Falmouth and Plymouth Argyle Reserves.

I don't think that you really appreciate the gulf in class between National League South and the SWPL League.

I'd back a team 4 leagues higher every time, unless the higher league team were rock bottom of that particular division.

Each to their own I suppose!

Goldeneye, a cup run shows how good teams are in some ways I suppose, but not overall. The thing is with cup runs it's about how you play on the day in each round. The difference with leagues are it's over the course of the whole season, and teams finish essentially where they should and deserve to. The best teams may not have a good cup run in the FA Vase purely because they didn't turn up on the day of their game.

St John, I'm well aware of the gulf in class between the National League South and South West Peninsula League. This is having watched many games at both levels. I just think that the likes of St Austell, Bodmin and Saltash would be able to give Truro a run for their money. I'm not saying they'd win, but I bet they'd run them close. Well, that's on this season's evidence anyway. In the past it may have been slightly different.

Jengle, If ifs ands were pots and pans, all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Truro have done fantastically well to operate at NLS level. However, with all the constant negativity around the club, who could blame them and argue against reverting back to SWPL level in the coming years?

Would be good for local football IMO. Local competition, local interest. Cornwall and Devon are a bit of a backwater in footballing terms, keep it strong from within!

21 hours ago, Keith B said:

Yes JENGLE agreed and Bodmin must have had a bit of a shock from Ludgvan yesterday. Taking the best players from Bodmin, St Austell and Saltash, if they would blend together, would be interesting against Truro. 

The best players from those teams probably used to play for Truro at some stage, except the ones deemed not good enough but are doing quite nicely at Taunton. And yes, they would give the current Truro team a run for their money because they probably have a bit of passion for the teams they are playing for now.

5 hours ago, Keith B said:

Interesting final sentence re backwater. Would the fact that both Counties are poor in financial terms ie, low wages when compared with the rest of the country be anything to do with that ? 

Possibly Keith, but I think that Geography is the biggest factor and there's not a lot that anybody can do about that!