Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keith B

TV studio referees.

At a time when match officials are getting abuse from players and coaches regarding their on field decisions, surely the last thing they need is for ex referees to sit in a TV studio, or outside broadcast van, telling the pundits and TV audiences that the ref got it wrong. Whether we're talking about an offside ruling, foul or penalty etc, what on earth do the TV companies think they are trying to achieve ?

As these ex referees themselves will know, at pitch level things can look very different. In my opinion this practice should either result in the on field ref being miked up to the studio ref and act on his decision, or, the practice of having studio referees for the dubious benefit of TV audiences only, should be stopped. What good does it do ! 

Having so many camera angles on tv games is bad to get a feeling for why the ref gave his decision, he gets one chance to see it instantly and from only one angle. Maybe there should be a camera on the refs forehead so we see his view and that only on decisions he makes, every ref and every player makes mistakes during the game, let's accept this and spend more time celebrating the highlights instead of the decisions

In the long run it might turn out to be a good idea.

It could add weight to the argument of reviewing important decisions on VT like cricket and rugby do.

That would therefore put an end to most of the moaning and arguing.

Howard Webb does a good job of defending referees though, he praises good decisions and if they do get it wrong, he will put forward a logical explanation as to why they got it wrong and he also explains that sometimes wrong decisions are for reasons beyond the officials' control.

Lynxman , what an outrageous comment to make ?  players don't make mistakes nor do managers . Only referees and their assistants make mistakes . Players don't commit silly fouls either they are perfectly good tackles  but the referees can't see that .

On a serious note I wonder if the professional game is now too fast for a human being to make decisions .Coupled with the fact that there is so much money involved in the game that players have to cheat  or stretch the rules in order to win , the referee and his assistants have an almost impossible job .

I've just read Howard Webb's book  , a very interesting read , it describes the torment an official goes through when the game is analysed  by the referees panel afterwards  and he realises he's made a mistake . It's well worth a read .

Finally when are the FA going to show some courage and clamp down on all the complaining  and arguing with the referee , it doesn't happen in any other sport so why should it be allowed in football ?

13 hours ago, fenman said:

Lynxman , what an outrageous comment to make ?  players don't make mistakes nor do managers . Only referees and their assistants make mistakes . Players don't commit silly fouls either they are perfectly good tackles  but the referees can't see that .

On a serious note I wonder if the professional game is now too fast for a human being to make decisions .Coupled with the fact that there is so much money involved in the game that players have to cheat  or stretch the rules in order to win , the referee and his assistants have an almost impossible job .

I've just read Howard Webb's book  , a very interesting read , it describes the torment an official goes through when the game is analysed  by the referees panel afterwards  and he realises he's made a mistake . It's well worth a read .

Finally when are the FA going to show some courage and clamp down on all the complaining  and arguing with the referee , it doesn't happen in any other sport so why should it be allowed in football ?

And what is the point of arguing with the fourth official?

Should be outlawed.

Mind you, I think that the fourth official should be a bit further away in the stands and only come down for making subs and holding up the added on time board.

By having the fourth official close to the dug-outs creates a pantomime in itself.

11 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I record the football now - so that I can scroll over the "expert" analysis.....sooo boring (!)

Surely it's better to watch it live?

Switch on at kick-off time, switch off/do something else at half-time, switch off/do something else at full-time.

7 hours ago, St John said:

And what is the point of arguing with the fourth official?

Should be outlawed.

Mind you, I think that the fourth official should be a bit further away in the stands and only come down for making subs and holding up the added on time board.

By having the fourth official close to the dug-outs creates a pantomime in itself.

Surely it's better to watch it live?

Switch on at kick-off time, switch off/do something else at half-time, switch off/do something else at full-time.

Nope - the commentators do my head in as well.....bloody shouting and bawling nonsense.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Nope - the commentators do my head in as well.....bloody shouting and bawling nonsense.

But you record it, then presumably watch it with the sound down.

How do you cope with a standard SWPL match, presumably by wearing ear plugs lol?

27 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Howard webbs track record on getting big decisions wrong!!!!!!  He shouldn't be anywhere near it

He's officiated a European and a World Cup final... he can't be that bad!!

4 hours ago, St John said:

But you record it, then presumably watch it with the sound down.

How do you cope with a standard SWPL match, presumably by wearing ear plugs lol?

Correct - sound turned down.

Live footy, actually being there - have been known to tell people and players to shut the ffffk up (!)