Cornwall Football Forum

Gloucestershire U-18 2, Cornwall U-18 3

16 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Another win for Cornwall with goals  from Jack Rapsey, Ollie Walker and Josh Penrose 

As far as the South West Counties Youth Championship is concerned. Group 'A' ( Cornwall's group ) has one final fixture remaining in the round robin ties. That is Somerset v Gloucestershire.  Somerset need to win against a Gloucestershire side that have lost both to Devon & Cornwall. A victory for the 'Cider County' will give them 7 points from 9 max, where as Cornwall have gained 6 points from their 3 matches. Can't see Somerset slipping up based on what i saw yesterday. Hope i'm wrong.

To be totally honest, I thought that yesterday's game v Gloucestershire was the poorest I have seen them play this season. Cornwall started okay and were two up fairly quickly and were causing real problems with wide players beating their defenders and putting great crosses into the 6 yard box - basically two mirror goals to start, one from Jack and one from Olli.

Then Cornwall just completely switched off, very strange to watch, passes were going astray, momentum dropped off and the body language looked like Cornwall were in second gear and thinking about their next game. Gloustershire grew into the game (without wishing to be disrespectful to them but they are the weakest squad in the group) - just before half time their winger put in a high long looping cross which looked like a simple punch by Luke, but the flight deceived him and the ball dropped over his hand onto the surprised head of their striker, 2-1 at half time.

I think everyone thought Cornwall would come out blazing in the second half, but it was more of the same. A change of keeper at half time, to give some game time, went a bit awry when poor Dan decided to pass the ball out to the two players on the edge of his box - unfortunately both were Gloucestershire forwards, 2-2.

The bringing on of Tiago, Alfie, Jack W and Max (for an injured Joel) seemed to add a bit urgency (the players coming off had not had bad games but just shared in the general malaise of the rest of the squad) and Cornwall added a third with some good work and finishing by Josh P. Cornwall improved and were by far the better team, but had to be careful not to throw away points.

There is little doubt that Cornwall missed Mattie, yesterday as him and Joe have developed a good strikers relationship with both doing 'different things' and thus creating options for the midfield and then again more space and time for the defence. Jack R and Joe seemed to be going to the same space and any balls through to them being easier to deal with, there was also less work rate upfront (but there was all over the pitch). Cornwall are a team, who when playing high tempo, one / two touch football are very very impressive - when the tempo drops the performance drops - perhaps down to no Jamie 'warm up'!

Its a bit of shame that Cornwall have to rely on Gloucestershire to sneak a draw v Somerset (maybe the plan yesterday was to give Gloucestershire some confidence for that game) to win the area SWCC - but that all goes back to their game v Somerset with some very poor decisions by officials, a penalty given that was at best debatable and Cornwall missing countless chances (especially in the second half).

Next game is the big one - national Semi Final, and now Cornwall have put yesterday behind them can get back to usual quality !