Cornwall Football Forum

Defunct grounds (2)

Back in the early seventies Wilcove United who played in the Plymouth and District league usedto play there home games at the Lawns in Torpoint (also known as Thanckes Park. The width of the pitch must have been the bare minimum with overhanging branches on one side. Behind one goal was the river Tamar and many a shot ended up in the river or the mud depending on the state of the tide. If you look at google maps and type in Thanckes  you can zoom in and see roughly where the pitch was although thr trees have grown somewhat 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, panda said:

Back in the early seventies Wilcove United who played in the Plymouth and District league usedto play there home games at the Lawns in Torpoint (also known as Thanckes Park. The width of the pitch must have been the bare minimum with overhanging branches on one side. Behind one goal was the river Tamar and many a shot ended up in the river or the mud depending on the state of the tide. If you look at google maps and type in Thanckes  you can zoom in and see roughly where the pitch was although thr trees have grown somewhat 

Played there for Dobwalls many years back. Wilcove had had a game postponed previously as all three match balls disappeared down the tamar. We played an evening match and Westward TV were there doing a feature on the club and their unusual problem 

3 hours ago, skinner said:

Penryn afc  Glasney  place , Dowstle.farm mylor  fluxes field kernick road , Glebe  behind church

Where is Fluxes Field? The Glebe is featured.

Website updated with four pictures of Raymond Road, two of The Lawns, Dowstall Farm and Glasney.

34 minutes ago, motherwontletmegoargyle said:

Wasn't there a pitch where Saltash leisure centre now sits. Sometimes running east to west, sometimes north to south and used by Saltash Boys Club?

There is one that runs parallel to the main one at Warfelton which I believe is used by Saltash B.C. according to some writing on a building nearby. Whether it's a new incarnation of the one mentioned I don't know. It seems as though only the lower pitch is used for adult football.

11 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

What about Busby Gents at Baldhu,the old Cusgarne pitch (1960's),Malabar pitch near Mount Hawke,Cubert,Crantock and Ladock? (you may have covered some of these Willow)

I have no information on any of these Soccer Follower. If you or someone could be a little more specific then I will try to find some pictures or Google Earth images. I have remembered the J&F Pool pitch in Hayle where Guildford Road Industrial Estate is now.

Busby Gents played in a field off the Chacewater to Carnon Downs Road at Baldhu.The field adjoins the road leading to Threemilestone with the entrance off the main road.A few teams played on this pitch over the years but not in recent times.Malabar,for one season and,i think,back in Rappo's early years,had a pitch down a lane almost opposite but back a short distance towards Chacewater.

Cubert played on a small pitch behind the Community Centre in the village.

Crantock played off Halwyn Road,turn into Trevelveth Road and on the first bend that is where the entrance was.

Ladock had one pitch on the right hand side leaving the village towards Fraddon and another off the next lane on the left hand side of the road.

Cusgarne's former pitch,i think,was on the right hand side going down Quakers Road and used to have overhead electricity cables running across the pitch.

sge.

Busby and Ladock are hard to find but I think I have found Cubert, Crantock and Cusgarne. The latter's pitch is quite close to the current Frogpool ground.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rocket Ronnie said:

Back in 2001 ish, ladock played at newquay sports centre.  What about Tredrea?  Played on holiday park up the road opposite the pub.

Tredrea? When and where?

• 2 weeks later...

Some Duchy League teams from the last 20 years. Any information on where they played?

Barley

Berties - Newquay Sports Centre?

Bodmin Athletic - Dragon?

Bodmin Pool Club - Dragon?

Bodmin Saints - Dragon?

Charlestown Saints - St Mewan Park?

Chillaton

Dynamo St Dennis

Four Lords

Garrison Club

Harlyn

Ladock

Launceston United - College?

Mount Charles - Par Running Track?

Nanstallon

Porthia - St Breward?

Saltash Churches - Warfelton?

St Austell Athletic

St Blazey United - Par Running Track?

St Giles

St Lawrences (1997/98)

Tideford - Tideford Cross

When we played agianst Mount Charles, it was always at Penrice School. Had a couple of good tight games against them before they folded.

Also played against Berties at Newquay Treviglas School in an August evening game with the longest grass you have ever seen on a pitch. School groundsman was probably on holiday.  Drew 4-4 as I remember.

5 hours ago, rougvie said:

Dynamo St Dennis played at Boscawen Park, Willow, or at least they were about 10 years ago. Charlestown were at St Mewan Park. Mount Charles had their own pitch - there's a picture of it here but I can't remember where it was! 

Mount Charles v Altarnun, Duchy League Division 4

Why do I get the feeling that Luxulyan is linked?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

St columb major used to have two pitches. The one they use now and the defunct weldhens field, which is now an industrial estate where the st austell brewery main office/depot is 

On 25/03/2017 at 19:28, Rocket Ronnie said:

Around 2001/2/3ish.  Tredrea inn porthcothan.  If u go up the road opposite the pub, theres a holoday park on the right.  They palyed there and moved into st merryn i think aswell.  At crossroads turn left just past the farmers arms, pitch down on the right aswell i think?

They changed there name to harlyn after. Remember playing against them. I remember when they were tredrea and they played on a pitch in little petherick, at old McDonald's farm as well 

On 4/6/2017 at 19:55, Willow Tree said:

Some Duchy League teams from the last 20 years. Any information on where they played?

I think most of this is right:

Bodmin Saints - Dragon Centre

Chillaton - Changed their name to Lamerton, played at Cardwell Farm

Dynamo St Dennis - When they first started played against them at Newquay Sports Centre

Garrison Club - Changed their name to AFC Bodmin - Play at Dragon Centre

Mount Charles - Initially Luxulyan Pitch (farmers field!) then Penrice school

Nanstallon - Played at Lower Boscarne near Washaway, sure they changed name to Bugle Orient for some reason and moved early 2000s

Porthia - St Breward maybe, they played a few times at St.Kew Highway, using Wadebridges changing facilities first

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/02/2017 at 22:33, Willow Tree said:

Website updates with photos of: Flushing (Trefusis Point), Fowey United (Squires Field), Gerrans (Treloan Lane), Gulval (St Clare), Luxulyan (Tregarick Farm), Menheniot (Pass Road), Mylor (Waterings Road), Pelynt (Jubilee Hill), Praze (Trethewa), Roskear Field, St Columb Minor (Recreation Ground), Trevenson United (Boundervean Lane)

Pelynt also played at Tremaine and there was a ground in Polruan too

On 07/02/2017 at 09:47, Guest said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147470153@N04/albums

Unfortunately not all the photos are of football grounds, merely what is there now. I would like to add more so any suggestions or better still, pictures would be useful. Also any old CCFA directories/information could also be utilised.

Defunct ground photos and Google Earth photos include:

Antony (Antony Field)

Barripper (Botetoe Road)

Camborne (Park Road)

Camelford (Tregoodwell)

Carharrack (United Road)

Carnon Downs (Tregye Road)

Cury (Jubilee Field)

Exiles (Minack Theatre)

Falmouth Docks (Docks Sports Ground)

Falmouth Docks (Leggo Park)

Falmouth Town (Ashfield)

Four Lanes (Loscombe Road)

Goonhilly (Earth Station)

Gulval (Badger's Cross)

Gweek (Recreation Ground)

Halsetown (Halsetown Inn)

Hayle (Ellis Park)

J & F Pool (Horsepool Road, Connor Downs)

Leedstown Playing Field

Long Rock (Rydal Field)

Marazion Blues (Rosudgeon Playing Field)

Mawgan United (Recreation Ground)

Newmoor Rovers (Kessell Park)

Penryn Athletic (The Glebe)

Plymouth City (Pennycross)

Railway Tavern (Carn Brea)

Redruth (Raymond Road)

Roche (Victoria Road)

South Hill (Golberdon)

St Erth [name unknown]

Stithians (Old Churchyard)

Threemilestone (Polstain Road)

Pendeen Rovers former pitch is on the opposite side of the road ( right hand side when going down Lighthouse Road), behind the garages.

Great little thread this. Interesting to hear all the old teams as well :c::smiley20:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 08/02/2017 at 10:44, Guest said:

I have taken a Google Earth picture that will hopefully show the pitch. It will be uploaded later. Also to be added will be new pictures of Exiles' pitch at Minack and Bugle.

Goonhavern also had a pitch at lambourne farm in penhallow.

They infact had two different pitches one in the early 70s I believe and one in the late 80s

8 minutes ago, compoo said:

Goonhavern also had a pitch at lambourne farm in penhallow.

They infact had two different pitches one in the early 70s I believe and one in the late 80s

Screenshot_20220903-170235-501.png

On 03/03/2017 at 23:39, motherwontletmegoargyle said:

Wasn't there a pitch where Saltash leisure centre now sits. Sometimes running east to west, sometimes north to south and used by Saltash Boys Club?

There was, I played for Saltash BC for several years in the late 60s, in the PYC League.

The pitch ran downwards from Callington Road to what were tennis courts.

Had a nice rock protruding from the pitch just on the halfway line.

Just spotted this !

Goonhavern have had a few pitches over the years.

Firstly,at New Perran Farm (off the road to Perranporth) for a long period where changing facilities,for both teams,were in an old caravan then New Perran Holiday Park and another field above the previous one at New Perran Farm but with a different access.They also played briefly at Penhallow and Newquay Sports Centre before arriving at Reen Parc,their current base.(I've probably forgotten a pitch somewhere!).

There used to be two pitches at Reen Parc but one was sold.