Cornwall Football Forum

Defunct grounds (2)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willow Castle utd pitch at Carne Brea , Pengegon , pitch at tuckingmill behind the church  played Castle utd on that pitch re- arranged game on a Sunday morning , 100% penalty record for me there took one scored one ,  shirehorse played up a lane past the old buffalo club St. Ives  changed in leaking barn   , I think they made the Cornishman newspaper for losing one game 33-0  a record for the West Penwith league .

The pitch behind the church at Tuckingmill I have on there. Castle United used it, as did New Park Rangers and Camborne Town/Athletic in the last couple of seasons. There was a pitch at the bottom of Carn Brea but I don't know where. I'm fuzzy on St Ives so don't know where the Buffalo Club is.

Updated with pictures of: Bugle (Molinnis Road), Exiles (Minack), Goonhavern (Piran's Round), Heathcoats (Heathcoats), Holywell & Cubert Athletic (Penhale Camp), Perranporth (Cligga), Sennen (Mayon Green), St Levan (Polgigga), Truro United (Monkey Tree).

Buffalo Club was a bar/dance hall at top of St Ives. Drive through Halsetown, carry on towards top of St Ives. Used to be on the left just before chapel at junction. When it closed the car park had boats in it. Now it has been knocked down and turned into social housing. 

There was a pitch, I am sure on Trencrom Lane, Carbis Bay. If you went from the St Ives back Road, turned off onto the lane, followed it and the pitch was on the left. The Camp site is now built over. The lane is the first road turning on the right after the closed Tyringham Arms pub.

6 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Buffalo Club was a bar/dance hall at top of St Ives. Drive through Halsetown, carry on towards top of St Ives. Used to be on the left just before chapel at junction. When it closed the car park had boats in it. Now it has been knocked down and turned into social housing. 

There was a pitch, I am sure on Trencrom Lane, Carbis Bay. If you went from the St Ives back Road, turned off onto the lane, followed it and the pitch was on the left. The Camp site is now built over. The lane is the first road turning on the right after the closed Tyringham Arms pub.

CTB you are right a pitch used to be used by St. Ives reserves or third team behind where the old playzone was ., Willow can remember playing Cubert on a pitch near the community centre  where you changed and went through a gate / hedge  also they used I think it was a school pitch just down the lane ., 

13 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Camborne Athletic playing ajacent to a Rugby ground-that would probably be the Old Holman S C complex at Wheal Gerry (across N Roskear Rd from Park Road) but very close.

The football pitch now gone was used by Holman S C and Camborne School of Mines in their very short stay in the Combination League in the early 1960's

The Rugby ground was and until recently  the home of Veor Rugby Club since 1966 but most of the land is now  taken up by Rosemellin School.

After thought. I do believe Camborne Athletic did play next to The Camborne Rugby ground at Crane Road in the very early days.

Camborne Athletic used to play at Crane Road Mike,adjacent to Camborne Rugby Club.

The Perranporth (cligga) pitch was actually within the grounds of the airfield.The one I think shown is of a youth pitch used by Goonhavern (?).

The St.Columb Minor pitch is in the middle of the village and most recently used by Newquay 3rds and 4ths.There used to be another pitch,with a significant slope,in 60/70's at the end of Leader Road.

3 hours ago, panda said:

Maker and Rame used to play on a pitch at Maker Church which had a magnificent view out over Plymouth the moors and kit hill. They used changing rooms at Millbrooks ground

I have saved an aerial shot of Maker Church and will upload it tomorrow and hopefully the location of the pitch can be pinpointed.

3 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

The Perranporth (cligga) pitch was actually within the grounds of the airfield.The one I think shown is of a youth pitch used by Goonhavern (?).

The St.Columb Minor pitch is in the middle of the village and most recently used by Newquay 3rds and 4ths.There used to be another pitch,with a significant slope,in 60/70's at the end of Leader Road.

I didn't know if that was Cligga or not. I found Leader Road but there doesn't seem to be an 'end' to it as I would imagine the pitch would have been built on. Was that the one they used in the Combo?

18 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Willow keep up the good work with the grounds clubs that no longer exist , great post  and brings back memories of my footballing days even though my knees ache and ankle is knackered , makes me smile  great days , good friends made ,  many thanks .

Thanks. I think I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of defunct grounds for the time being so I'm going to have to rely on other people and hopefully upload some pictures from that. I have Falmouth Town (Union Corner) and Truro City (Kenwyn Hill) to do but precise locations will be hard to get without the knowledge. For Maker, I have a picture of the church and surrounding fields as I don't know where the ground was. I like to be as accurate as possible.

I have some other bits to add to the site including ground signs and dug outs but that'll have to wait....

32 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Great work Willow , throw another one at you for the future Crown town  from my mining league days ,  look forward to your posts in the future  keep the Cornish football flag flying :c:

I believe there was a pitch near to the current ground at Drym Road, Nancegollan, used by St Ives Mariners but I don't know where.

Newmoor Rovers pitch will never be able to be used again. I went to Kessell Park and if the skate park wasn't bad enough, the location of the rubbish bin means the pitch will never be wide enough. Pics of that, Gulval's St Clare and Maker will be uploaded later

On 09/02/2017 at 23:32, Willow Tree said:

Thanks. I think I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge of defunct grounds for the time being so I'm going to have to rely on other people and hopefully upload some pictures from that. I have Falmouth Town (Union Corner) and Truro City (Kenwyn Hill) to do but precise locations will be hard to get without the knowledge. For Maker, I have a picture of the church and surrounding fields as I don't know where the ground was. I like to be as accurate as possible.

I have some other bits to add to the site including ground signs and dug outs but that'll have to wait....

Kenwyn  ground was by the magistrates , remember it as was the last game for Longrock played in goal lost 2- 1  bare eleven , at that time we didn't realise it was the last game for the club sad really but at least I was there until the end .

Just now, stevieb said:

Kenwyn  ground was by the magistrates , remember it as was the last game for Longrock played in goal lost 2- 1  bare eleven , at that time we didn't realise it was the last game for the club sad really but at least I was there until the end .

That is Penmorvah. I'm not sure if theat pitch is full size. Hayle 3rds played Threemilestone Reserves there last season. Someone said the goals weren't full size, someone said the pitch wasn't full size so I don't know which bit to believe.

Kenwyn Hill was used by Truro City in the South Western League in 1974/75. They had to leave Treyew Road at the end of 1973/74 season when the road was widened. They played a season at Kenryn before dropping down to the Combo for three seasons and playing at Boscawen Park. When Treyew Road was finished (the pitch had to be moved), the Combo team stayed at Boscawen for a couple of seasons before moving back to Treyew.

Hi Willow

The pitch you are showing is the training pitch that Goonhavern use during the summer period while they work on the main pitch at Reen.

The old Perranporth pitch is between the last industrial building and the aircraft hanger, and you may be able to identify the porta cabin next to the industrial building at Cligga.

Goonhavern also had a pitch at Ventongimps, which was just up from the Pub at Penhallow.

The pitch at Golbordon was used until quite recently for youth football; a beautiful place to watch football. It is about 4 miles out of Callington. There is still a North Hill FC (http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/northhillfc01/94694/Home). They have a lovely little set up. Anyone know where Swingletree palyed? It is a pub on the way out of Callington on the Launceston Road and I remember they got into the first or second round of the Senior Cup a few years ago. I live in St Ive (the one between Liskeard and Callington...(as the man from Parcelforce found out a few years ago when he phoned me from outside the Sloop and asked me if I lived upalong or downalong...er about 60 miles upalong!) and the old St Ive football club ground is now the park. A picture of the St Ive team from the 1920s or 30s appeared in The Cornish Guardian a couple of years ago.

It would appear I have the wrong ground for Perranporth so I will take it down. I have some new ones of Mawgan which I will upload. The old ground has quite a steep slope at the road end of the ground, although I don't know if that was part of the pitch or behind the goal. The lower end of the pitch has goals going widthways which are presumably to do with Garras School.

North Hill do have a nice ground, although they need showers if they are to progress anywhere. The topic of Swingletree came up a few weeks ago and we are still no clearer on the subject. There must be a CCFA handbook out there with details in.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:46, Willow Tree said:

That is Penmorvah. I'm not sure if theat pitch is full size. Hayle 3rds played Threemilestone Reserves there last season. Someone said the goals weren't full size, someone said the pitch wasn't full size so I don't know which bit to believe.

Kenwyn Hill was used by Truro City in the South Western League in 1974/75. They had to leave Treyew Road at the end of 1973/74 season when the road was widened. They played a season at Kenryn before dropping down to the Combo for three seasons and playing at Boscawen Park. When Treyew Road was finished (the pitch had to be moved), the Combo team stayed at Boscawen for a couple of seasons before moving back to Treyew.

I think it is Tremorvah Willow

1 hour ago, Willow Tree said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147470153@N04/albums

A new album has been added called where is this? I think it could be Antony. The photos were taken around 1999 and I can't place where it is.

Stithians and Gweek from 18 years ago and Mawgan from last Sunday will be added later.

To me willow it looks like Lamerton but I might be wrong 

Have assumed it is Antony after matching up the codes on the back and the photos in the same batch. Also added the ones of Stithians, Mawgan and one of Gweek. Found some other interesing pics - Wendron before development, Mevagissey's old changing rooms and hopefully some better ones of Camelford, Carnon Downs and Heathcoats. All to be uploaded in the coming weeks. Can anyone shed any light on where the following teams played:

Copperhouse (Hayle School?)

Coverack

Tuckingmill (Roskear?)

8 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Have assumed it is Antony after matching up the codes on the back and the photos in the same batch. Also added the ones of Stithians, Mawgan and one of Gweek. Found some other interesing pics - Wendron before development, Mevagissey's old changing rooms and hopefully some better ones of Camelford, Carnon Downs and Heathcoats. All to be uploaded in the coming weeks. Can anyone shed any light on where the following teams played:

Copperhouse (Hayle School?)

Coverack

Tuckingmill (Roskear?)

Copperhouse may have played at Leedstown

Coverack,i think,played at the Drawbar Club

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

Copperhouse may have played at Leedstown

Coverack,i think,played at the Drawbar Club

Haha where is the Drawbar Club? (I believe it is/was somewhere in Helston)

Swingletree.

Apparently they played at a ground called Muffin Park. The story of its' naming is convoluted.  At the time the ground had a groundsman called Mervyn.and the Northern Irish Ewing brothers were managing the team and said Mervyn's name in a strong N. Irish accent (try saying Mervyn with a strong Northern Irish accent). A new Scottish coach joined the team and couldn't work out why the groundsman was called Muffin by the coaching team (and of course by the rest of the team as the nickname had stuck). When it came to naming the ground the obvious was "Muffin Park".

Now, Muffin Park has returned to its' old duties as potatoes or cattle grazing.

11 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Coming up hopefully Friday or over the weekend, pictures of Mawgan (from around 2000), Carnon Downs (Old Quay FC), Heathcoats and a couple of "where is this?" questions.

Carnon Downs FC had a seperate ground to Old Quay who played on a school ground near Tregye.

Whilst coming back through Est Cornwall earlier this week my mind went back to some old clubs which may or may not have been mentioned before:

Saltash WMC,St.Mellion,Landrake,Tideford,Menheniot,George & Dragon (Bodmin),Port Isaac,St.Maybn,St.Tudy,RAF St.Mawgan,Riviera Coasters,New Par,Fowey Utd and RBL,Polruan.

On a cup i had in my possession yesterday were the following:

Falmouth YMCA,Falmouth GPO,Falmouth Docks,Mylor,Gweek,Cury,Porkellis,Mawgan,Pool,HMS Seahawk,Duchy,Truro City 3rds, and Nancegollan.

2 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Carnon Downs FC had a seperate ground to Old Quay who played on a school ground near Tregye.

Whilst coming back through Est Cornwall earlier this week my mind went back to some old clubs which may or may not have been mentioned before:

Saltash WMC,St.Mellion,Landrake,Tideford,Menheniot,George & Dragon (Bodmin),Port Isaac,St.Maybn,St.Tudy,RAF St.Mawgan,Riviera Coasters,New Par,Fowey Utd and RBL,Polruan.

On a cup i had in my possession yesterday were the following:

Falmouth YMCA,Falmouth GPO,Falmouth Docks,Mylor,Gweek,Cury,Porkellis,Mawgan,Pool,HMS Seahawk,Duchy,Truro City 3rds, and Nancegollan.

When I put Carnon Downs I meant Tregye Road just because it's in that location. That's the pitch I know and have pics of. The old Carnon ground location is unknown, possible where the road is now.

Saltash WMC - Warfelton

St Mellion would be a good one if it can be pinpointed. At one time they had the 'worst facilities in senior football' - the women of the village would bring buckets of hot water in the second half to fill up the tin baths.

Landrake I believe played at Warfelton in Saltash.

Tideford had a ground behind the village which I found yonks ago but have since forgotten. Maybe @karaoke might know it.

Menheniot is on there - Pass Road, recently used by St Neot.

George & Dragon - I've been meaning to use the picture kindly uploaded on here of Coldharbour Lane.

Port Isaac, St Mabyn, St Tudy - no information on either

RAF St Mawgan - pitch still in use by St Eval Spitfies

Riviera Coasters - played at Poltair Park

New Par - no information

Fowey United - already featured

Polruan - no information

Falmouth YMCA, GPO and Duchy - were probably Dracaena Avenue

Falmouth Docks - location pics are featured

Mylor - Waterings Road is featured although they had more than one ground - Penryn School being one and that isn't there so I could use that. Weir Road ground location is unknown.

Gweek, Cury, Mawgan all featured.

Porkellis - details unknown

Pool - Roskear Field is featured

HMS Seahawk is presumably RNAS Culdrose

Truro City 3rds - Boscawen Park

Nancegollan - I know there was a pitch near to Drym Road but not sure where

There was a pitch on Budock Hill where Swanvale played which I will add at some point. Mabe too had a few grounds on Antron Hill but not sure where.

Hi Willow tree - I've played against Landrake at a pitch that was definitely near to the village itself. Also played against both St Tudy and St Mabyn  in Junior / Launceston cups. Pretty sure that both pitches were in the respective villages.

Another one long gone was St Kew who had a team in the Bodmin & District league. They had one or two of the Dowling brothers playing back in the late seventies. Certainly gave us a stuffing in the Junior Cup one year.

Polruan had a sloping pitch just on the way into the village. usually covered in sheep shite.

The Antony pitch you featured recently was also ( I think ) used by Polbathic 

St.Mellion,i think,used to be a very successful team in the East Cornwall League in the 60's.

Carnon Downs played on a farmer's field accessed from Carnon Crescent on the lane to Higher Devoran Farm.

Port Isaac,i seem to recall,played on a pitch adjoining the public car park off the B3267 Road.

New Par played on a field on the right hand side near the road running from the Britannia Inn towards Par.

St.Kew are now up and running again and playing Sunday football with two teams.The old pitch may have been slightly affected by road improvements but it is roughly where it used to be.

Portkellis played in the village not far from the pub and close to Halwin Lane.

Mylor had a pitch around early 70's up above the village on a farmer's field (maybe off Carclew Road?)

8 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

Hi Willow tree - I've played against Landrake at a pitch that was definitely near to the village itself. Also played against both St Tudy and St Mabyn  in Junior / Launceston cups. Pretty sure that both pitches were in the respective villages.

Another one long gone was St Kew who had a team in the Bodmin & District league. They had one or two of the Dowling brothers playing back in the late seventies. Certainly gave us a stuffing in the Junior Cup one year.

Polruan had a sloping pitch just on the way into the village. usually covered in sheep shite.

The Antony pitch you featured recently was also ( I think ) used by Polbathic 

The St Kew pitch was on Station Road

The new ground is on the left hand side as you head to Camelford. I'm not sure if it's visible from the road but it's in the village recreation ground with a park and a rugby pitch (and cricket pitch).

Just now, Soccer Follower said:

Tideford may have played off Tideford Cross Lane.

I believe you could be right. Just had a look on Google Earth, it does look like the same place I stumbled across on the way back from Devon in the dusk. I have found the Carnon Cresent site which I will add.

2 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

When I put Carnon Downs I meant Tregye Road just because it's in that location. That's the pitch I know and have pics of. The old Carnon ground location is unknown, possible where the road is now.

Saltash WMC - Warfelton

St Mellion would be a good one if it can be pinpointed. At one time they had the 'worst facilities in senior football' - the women of the village would bring buckets of hot water in the second half to fill up the tin baths.

Landrake I believe played at Warfelton in Saltash.

Tideford had a ground behind the village which I found yonks ago but have since forgotten. Maybe @karaoke might know it.

Menheniot is on there - Pass Road, recently used by St Neot.

George & Dragon - I've been meaning to use the picture kindly uploaded on here of Coldharbour Lane.

Port Isaac, St Mabyn, St Tudy - no information on either

RAF St Mawgan - pitch still in use by St Eval Spitfies

Riviera Coasters - played at Poltair Park

New Par - no information

Fowey United - already featured

Polruan - no information

Falmouth YMCA, GPO and Duchy - were probably Dracaena Avenue

Falmouth Docks - location pics are featured

Mylor - Waterings Road is featured although they had more than one ground - Penryn School being one and that isn't there so I could use that. Weir Road ground location is unknown.

Gweek, Cury, Mawgan all featured.

Porkellis - details unknown

Pool - Roskear Field is featured

HMS Seahawk is presumably RNAS Culdrose

Truro City 3rds - Boscawen Park

Nancegollan - I know there was a pitch near to Drym Road but not sure where

There was a pitch on Budock Hill where Swanvale played which I will add at some point. Mabe too had a few grounds on Antron Hill but not sure where.

Hi Willow, Tideford had a really nice ground up the hill past The Rod And Line at Tideford Cross, funny I use to live across the road from the pitch.

Flickr site updated with pictures of Camborne Town (Heathcoats), Camelford (Tregoodwell), Carnon Downs (old) (Carnon Crescent), Ludgvan (pitch 2 Fairfield), Mawgan United (Recreation Ground), Newmoor Rovers (Kessell Park), Old Quay (Tregye Road), Port Isaac (hopefully the right one), Railway Tavern (Carn Brea), Swanvale Swifts (Bickland Hill). There are also three grounds in the "Where is this?" folder. I think numbers 2 and 3 might be in south Devon but not sure. They would have been taken around 2000-2001 so might have changed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147470153@N04/albums