Cornwall Football Forum

Ray Nicholls - RIP

Dave Deacon

Just heard the very sad news that Ray Nicholls passed away this morning.

Already some "huge" names in the Cornish footballing world have told me what a true gent and wonderful player he was. Ray was always very helpful to me off the pitch and a true "Rolls Royce" of a player on it.

He will forever be part of Cornish football history.

Condolences go from all of us to his family and friends.

Absolutely tragic news to the footballing community here in Cornwall. What a player and manager he was and massive loss to all those that knew him. Proper bloke who loved the game and knew how it should be played  

Condolences to all his friends and family at this terrible time. 

Rest in peace Ray it was a pleasure to be on the same field as you. 

Tommy

Very sad news. a who remember him at the Newquay C

Condolences from all Ray's friends at New 

Condolences to wife Jean, children Adam and Matt and brother Graham from all his friends at Newquay Football Club

A thoroughly nice man with whom we shared  some wonderful memories during some of the Club's most successful years. 

R.I.P. Ray

Cl

Such sad news one of Newquays finest players and was a nice man as well him and his brother Graham where 2 of Newquays greatest players when Newquay where 1 of the best teams around and where a force to be reckoned with Ray was 1 of the finest midfielders in Cornwall for Newquay and Cornwall seems so unfair that a nice man like Ray has been taken from us while evil nasty people still walk this earth . Hope all clubs have a minutes silence next week to show there respect i certainly will be showing mine at MT Wise next saturday vs Exmouth . Ray and Graham where my dads favourite players and  he would always have a chat with them . Just awful news condolences to all Rays family he will be missed here in Cornwall R.I.P a great man a great player

2016 was a bad year for celebs worldwide to be passing on, I hope 2017 isn't going to be similiar for Cornish football celebs.

More tragic and shocking news about one of the nicest men in football. I didn't know him personally but as Dave states he was a true gent and would always have time to talk to people about football. Along with Graham I believe they are only the second set of brothers to have managed against each other in the SWL.

He was a quality player whose career was ended playing for Newquay in a Cornwall Senior Cup semi final at Truro following an accidental collision with Falmouth's Graham Heard.

Other clubs he played for include Penzance, St Austell and a Western League spell with Falmouth Town.

His management career began with Newquay and it was his team in 1991/92 that denied Falmouth a fourth domenstic treble with a Cornwall Senior Cup win at St Blazey.

When Trevor Mewton's spell at Falmouth ended in 1994, Ray was the ideal man to succeed him and his decision to join caused the rivalry between Town and the Peppermints to increase and that would last some years!

His first season brought Town a SWL Cup win, their first troply for three years. There was also a run to the 5th round of the FA Vase, a run ended by a heavy defeat to Belper. He resigned at the end of the 1995/96 season.

He also managed Cornwall to a South West Counties Championship in 2004.

A true footballing man taken far too soon.

RIP Ray. :c:

Really sad news. I went to school with Ray and played football on the playground with him and other mates. Although he was about two or three years younger than myself and others he used to run rings around us with his talent. This ability developed in making him one of the best players to represent Cornwall and a number of clubs in the county. My condolences to his brother Graham and family. 

RIP Ray, it was a pleasure to have known you. 

From Cornwall FA. Sincere condolences to Ray's family on hearing the very sad news that Ray has passed away. He will always be remembered as an outstanding footballer in his own right ( a cool penalty taker also ) added to which was his successful Management skills which resulted in the Cornwall team winning the South West County Championship in season's 2003 / 04 and 2005 /06. 

A personal friend who i will always remember and my deepest sympathy to Graham who like his Dad before him is always watching a local game somewhere in mid Cornwall. 

Ray  RIP.

Devastated to wake up to this sad news. Ray and Graham taught me so much when I turned up at Newquay as a wet behind the ears 16 year old. Both fantastic players at the back end of their careers that went out of their way with some great advice to help a little kid. Years later I had the honour and privilege to play for Ray at both Newquay and Falmouth, Ray was simply the best man manager I ever played under. Such a composed, calm gentlemen whether you were 3-0 up or 3-0 down, never rant and raved, just explained things to you how it was good or bad. Ray would never get carried away when things were going well and would never be too down when you had a rare bad result. Just the same great bloke on an even keel all the time, he was like a dad, a big brother, and your favourite uncle rolled into one. So many happy memories of Ray over the last 30 odd years on and off the field. Thinking of Graham, Jean, Matt and Adam. Have a good rest up there boss.  Legend x

I remember watching Ray at Porthleven in the late 60s / early 70s when he was signed by Edward Henry after being released by Southampton, then managed by Ted Bates. Ray was a rolls Royce of a player who glided around the pitch & was brilliant with both feet. Later I got to know Ray & Graham personally & Ray was the nicest & easiest person to talk too. Such a sad loss to Cornish football, he will be sadly missed.

Sincere condolences to Graham & all the Nicholls family from everyone at Porthleven Football Club.

When Dave Ferrett rang me to tell me of this very sad news it brought back great memories of our many encounters against Ray & Graham and all those great Newquay players In many Wadebridge v Newquay games and playing with Ray for Cornwall and other games.

Ray was not just a brilliant player but a brilliant bloke as well and we all remained great friends after we finished playing, this is a great shock to Dave, Roy, myself and everyone who knew him.

I can't express how sorry we are and send our condolences to all of Rays family and friends.

RIP Ray

What a lovely.lovely football man-I teamed up with Ray as Falmouth programme Ed. 1994-96 when we brought Aston Villa to Bickland.

A gentleman in the true sense of the word and never to be forgotten in the Cornish football arena.

Ray did play for Falmouth in the Western League era --1980-82 Apps.74. Goals 10

Extremely sad to hear this news. Spoke to Ray a lot in my days covering the SWL for the Sunday Indy and Evening Herald. Ray was always on the end of the phone for Thursday previews, always a gent win or lose when I covered games involving his teams on a Saturday or if I called him on a Sunday to find out what happened. Condolences to Graham and to his wife and children. RIP Ray. 

It was sad to see that Ray died the day after his 63rd birthday.

Weather permitting Cornwall are playing on Wednesday. There will be a minute's silence before the game. Normally that is the done thing but for some reason I feel a minute's applause would be more fitting. I might be the only one with that thought but I think celebrating his life would be more appropriate given the fact he was such an upbeat person.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah agree Dave, you could have probably picked 5 top notch Cornwall teams from the 70s era to the present day from the ex players and managers there today. Fantastic send off for a truely wonderful top man. Shows what everyone thought of Ray. Proper Cornish football legend. ⚽