Cornwall Football Forum

MOUSEHOLE AFC STATEMENT REGARDING MANAGERIAL CHANGES

Player-manager Wayne Quinn has stepped down as player-manager at Mousehole AFC.  

The former Premier League player – who featured between 1997 and 2004 in over 200 games for Sheffield United, Newcastle and West Ham as well as playing for England ‘B’ and Under-21s and in the Europa League – took over at Mousehole in the summer of 2013 at a time when The Seagulls were accustomed to finishing in the lower reaches of the South West Peninsula Division 1 West table.  Since then, together with assistant player-manager Mark Vercesi, he has guided The Seagulls to 2nd, 7th and 1st place in the League, while this season the team is well placed to finish in the top three, and is still in the three cup competitions.

Mousehole chairman Tim Richardson paid this tribute to the outgoing manager:  “Quinny deserves the highest praise, respect and thanks for what he’s built and achieved over the last three years, culminating in last season’s historic and record-breaking League Championship and Cornwall Charity Cup wins.  He’s got good players playing attractive football - players who are willing to play for no money whatsoever, because they want to improve themselves and play the game the right way.  And also because they enjoy the club atmosphere and feel a sense of belonging as well!  At the start, Wayne committed himself to three seasons and he’s already gone past that. At the age of 40 he’s still very competitive and one of the best centre-backs in the Division.  Wayne has put his heart and soul into Mousehole AFC and will always be a club legend.  He will be a hard act to follow, but we will do our best to make the most of his legacy.  We wish him all the very best.”

Fact file
Under the three completed seasons under Wayne Quinn’s leadership:
• Mousehole finished in 2nd, 7th and 1st place in the league, with an overall win rate of 73%.  
• In his first season, The Seagulls broke - and still hold - the league record with 15 straight wins from the start of the season.
• Last season, the double-winning team collected both the league championship trophy and the Cornwall Charity Cup, both for the first time in the club’s 93-year history.  In doing so they broke various league records including, over the 32 league games played, the fewest defeats (1), the most goals scored (131), the fewest goals conceded (17), the most points gained (91), a 100% home record and finished 10 points above full-time Plymouth Argyle Reserves.  They also beat Premier Division sides Newquay and Tavistock to reach the semi-final of the League Cup.

New player-manager
Mousehole’s new player-manager is 30-year old Steve Parker-Billinge, The Seagulls’ goalkeeper since August 2015.  Midlands-born, he was on the books of Stoke City, Shrewsbury Town and Kidderminster Harriers, as well as other non-league sides in that area, and then, after moving to Cornwall, played for Illogan, Liskeard and Callington Town, where he won West Division championship and Charity Cup double medals in their 2013/14 promotion season.  

Chairman Tim Richardson said: “Steve has good communication skills, tactical knowledge and local contacts, as well as a deep fondness for the club, and although this is his first managerial appointment he knows the set-up and players, and the Committee had no hesitation in confirming his appointment.  We expect Steve to ‘be his own man’ and gradually shape things on the field the way he thinks they should be.  He will receive whatever support he needs.”

Speaking before the first match under his leadership on Monday, the new boss said: “I am honoured to be confirmed as the new Manager of the club. I have been here since the beginning of the double winning season and have never felt more at home.  My job is to try to continue the success that Wayne achieved and help ensure Mousehole is a recognised and respected force in Cornish football.   My first task is to inspire the players in the belief that there’s “life after Quinny” and to help them focus on what they do best.  We’ve got a lot to play for in the second half of the season in both league and cup games, so there’s no time for looking back.   It’s been an ‘interesting’ few days - I also got married last week!”

----------------------------------------

Penzance AFC announce that Bryn Wheeler is new first team manager for the rest of the season. He is very much looking forward to the battle to keep the club in the SWP League.

Once again we wish to thank John Dent for his services under difficult circumstances.

Charlie Farley

Strange way to spell Wayne Quinn!

21 hours ago, baldy said:

Penzance AFC announce that Bryn Wheeler is new first team manager for the rest of the season. He is very much looking forward to the battle to keep the club in the SWP League.

Once again we wish to thank John Dent for his services under difficult circumstances.

Charlie Farley

Strange way to spell Wayne Quinn!

There you go that shot us lot down - big time - lol

1 hour ago, andy howes said:

Absolutely right there mate it's already happening 5 second team players in today and got a 2_2 draw against St Dennis the boys stepped up and done a great job were is the loyalty to with players that gone absolutely non 

If it wasn't for Steve in goal for mousehole today we would have won comfortably, absolutely one sided in the second half I felt 

Which players have already jumped ship at Mousehole? Shows a lack of respect to the club in my opinion. All the players were happy to take the plaudits last season (and rightly so). Would of liked to seen the players stay till the end of the season and then the new manager could get the players in that he wants to play for him. The sad thing is there isn't much loyalty in local football any more, to many mercenaries unfortunately.

Guys I know feelings run high when a squad moves from one club to another , but using the word rape  , I don't think is appropriate for a football forum  ,  shame for Mousehole but most clubs who take on managers with say a football reputation will bring a group of players , then when they leave the local lads and committee have to try an pick up the pieces , in several instances the players don't want to come back as they feel they weren't needed at the time and have signed for other teams . I have no problem with players trying to leave say a combo team to try and play at say SWPl level this is what all players should do striving to play the highest level possible . Perhaps clubs also need to look at appointments for the future of your clubs rather than looking for quick success , sometimes internally may bring more stability .

Someone else on here said you can use third-party clubs to get round the one-a-month rule during the season.  The 'one player' rule presumably still applies, so if a club wants to recruit half another club's players, all they have to do is persuade 5 other clubs to take one each, and then take one from each of the third-party clubs, plus the one they were allowed to take directly.  This makes the so-called rule unenforceable, and not worth having, but I wonder what the respective leagues can do about this?   Re the posts in this thread, Tim Nixon is apparently not part of this arrangement, according to Bodmin - he is their player until the end of the season.  Also, the players leaving Mousehole presumably for Penzance are mostly all ex-Penzance, which is their home-town club, a club in deep trouble at the foot of the table.  If it's true Mark Vercesi is going or has gone to Penzance, it's no surprise that some of the others will want to follow, as MV (along with Wayne Quinn) is a respected and influential person.

a real shame, but the club from what i have heard have been running as two teams which you can see from the amount of first team players signed on for their reserves, or lack of, it will be interesting to see what will happen with their reserve side shortly with the amount needing to go up and help out their firsts..........

6 hours ago, Sijames said:

a real shame, but the club from what i have heard have been running as two teams which you can see from the amount of first team players signed on for their reserves, or lack of, it will be interesting to see what will happen with their reserve side shortly with the amount needing to go up and help out their firsts..........

The second team couldn't raise a side against st.day seconds this Saturday.

On 07/01/2017 at 20:02, Del Boy said:

Which players have already jumped ship at Mousehole? Shows a lack of respect to the club in my opinion. All the players were happy to take the plaudits last season (and rightly so). Would of liked to seen the players stay till the end of the season and then the new manager could get the players in that he wants to play for him. The sad thing is there isn't much loyalty in local football any more, to many mercenaries unfortunately.

Players already gone are Wayne quinn mark verchesi wade brown liam andrew Tim nixon and Charlie young. 

16 hours ago, Wild Man of Pendeen said:

Hahaha absolutely love it Anne Teake!!!!

A 1..2..3.. Oh I'D RATHER BE A MAGPIE THAN A GULL (than a gull) OH I'D RATHER BE A MAGPIE THAN A GULL (than a gull) OH I'D RATHER BE A MAGPIE . . RATHER BE A MAGPIE . . RATHER BE A MAGPIE THAN A GULLLLLLL..  I think you know the rest lolol

Cringe!!!

A couple of 'strange' moves there really. The lad Nixon has loads of pace but on the occasions I have seen him play he is positionally naive and he is nowhere near a top six Prem player (hope to be proved wrong) - or are Bodmin just covering their suspension issues? MV was always going to go back to Penzance, once he left Mousehole and I gather they have a sponsor now who is going to allow PZ to pay big this year - but if he has gone with a 7 day notice Wade Brown and Liam Andrew can only go after 28 / 56 days - I know PZ could use another club as a way of speeding this up to a 7 day notice and a waived 7 day move - but surely a club as big as PZ wouldn't be party to flagrantly breaching league rules and if they did and the League found them guilty they could loose points for ineligible players, which obviously they can't afford. Also, looking at Mouseholes performance this year and the sorry state Penzance find themselves in this year - will MV Liam and Wade make any real difference? Charlie Young to Porthleven has got to be a good consolidation move for them

The interesting one for me is Wayne - has it been confirmed where he is going, I know there has been loads of banter about it but has anything been confirmed?

8 hours ago, Sijames said:

surly will happen again this coming weekend? will they pull out the league @andy howes?

No mate a lot of work behind the scenes hopefully sign some new players from all accounts the trelawny league have been brilliant giving us some breathing space from the Ashes we will rise bigger and stronger come on you seagulls 

7 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

A couple of 'strange' moves there really. The lad Nixon has loads of pace but on the occasions I have seen him play he is positionally naive and he is nowhere near a top six Prem player (hope to be proved wrong) - or are Bodmin just covering their suspension issues? MV was always going to go back to Penzance, once he left Mousehole and I gather they have a sponsor now who is going to allow PZ to pay big this year - but if he has gone with a 7 day notice Wade Brown and Liam Andrew can only go after 28 / 56 days - I know PZ could use another club as a way of speeding this up to a 7 day notice and a waived 7 day move - but surely a club as big as PZ wouldn't be party to flagrantly breaching league rules and if they did and the League found them guilty they could loose points for ineligible players, which obviously they can't afford. Also, looking at Mouseholes performance this year and the sorry state Penzance find themselves in this year - will MV Liam and Wade make any real difference? Charlie Young to Porthleven has got to be a good consolidation move for them

The interesting one for me is Wayne - has it been confirmed where he is going, I know there has been loads of banter about it but has anything been confirmed?

From all accounts Wayne as transferred to Falmouth so then pz can sign him only hear say and the same with wade signing for Helston. 

49 minutes ago, andy howes said:

No mate a lot of work behind the scenes hopefully sign some new players from all accounts the trelawny league have been brilliant giving us some breathing space from the Ashes we will rise bigger and stronger come on you seagulls 

From all accounts Wayne as transferred to Falmouth so then pz can sign him only hear say and the same with wade signing for Helston. 

Andy - have watched a lot of local football and the comment was made earlier by cornishrambler - Mousehole have a great spirit and it is so rare to see a team at SWPL level enjoying themselves together after matches or even on none football days. It is a big blow loosing some decent players but knowing Steve P-B and that Mousehole is bigger than 5/6 players I am sure you will continue to grow and do well - a strong second team is vital and if PZ are going to buy in/back players then there will be a lot of annoyed current PZ players who may want to prove a point - what better place to do that than Mousehole?

2 hours ago, andy howes said:

I dont believe that for one second, Wayne being an Ex Premier League footballer having to sneak around & join a new club via a 'back door',  I just don't see that happening. With his footballing history I wold say he has more class than that

Various quotes by the players themselves on social media make interesting reading from afar.  Wayne Quinn rubbished the idea that he was going to Penzance, so that particular rumour can't be true....can it?  Mark Vercesi said he was only returning to Penzance to save the club he loves, so the rumour that the players are being paid to come back to Penzance can't be true either....can it?. 

On the subject of 'back door' transfers, if Penzance didn't exploit this loophole, and if the other clubs didn't conspire, and if the players didn't collude, Penzance would have to wait too many weeks to get their men in, and they've already left it very late with only 15 games left (15 cup finals as the new manager put it) - 9 away and 6 home.

Isn't there a ruling where a player can contact the league and ask for their registration with one club to be cancelled? He would become a free agent and available to sign for whomever he wanted.

12 hours ago, Anne Teake said:

Various quotes by the players themselves on social media make interesting reading from afar.  Wayne Quinn rubbished the idea that he was going to Penzance, so that particular rumour can't be true....can it?  Mark Vercesi said he was only returning to Penzance to save the club he loves, so the rumour that the players are being paid to come back to Penzance can't be true either....can it?. 

On the subject of 'back door' transfers, if Penzance didn't exploit this loophole, and if the other clubs didn't conspire, and if the players didn't collude, Penzance would have to wait too many weeks to get their men in, and they've already left it very late with only 15 games left (15 cup finals as the new manager put it) - 9 away and 6 home.

What if Mousehole agree to waive the "seven days" for the players involved.Could they then sign for another club immediately?