Cornwall Football Forum

VARDY FOUL OR NO FOUL

ECPL

VARDY FOUL OR NO FOUL

Having seen the incident and read and heard all the nonsense espoused by so called experts I am baffled as to how this could have even been given as a foul.

For a start Vardy is a player who will chase down anything. In this case in his efforts to win the ball he was knocked off balance by the defender, but being Vardy he knew he had a chance of winning the ball which he did with a fair tackle. No foul play on. But no for some reason the referee saw it differently and decided that not only was it a foul but it deserved a red card.

What has come of this game we love that genuine attempts to win the ball are rewarded with a card. I don't get it. Mark Hughes says he was out of control and it was a two footed tackle. I don't get this out of control bit – a player makes a genuine attempt to go for the ball and makes a genuine challenge, which he does. Then it is two footed. Unless Vardy has three legs I fail to see where the second leg comes from. Anyone who has ever played the game knows that legs can get tangled after a challenge – it is like to saying to the left leg when the right leg is making a challenge now don't you move. It is ludicrous. It is easy to see when a trailing leg makes a deliberate movement.

Was this a case of a referee having a notch on his whistle because he sends off a star player or did he not take into account that Vardy was knocked off balance before he made a challenge. If a referee of yesteryear were to send players off for that then he would have been laughed at and chucked out of the game toot sweet.

If players get sent off of for challenges like this then god help our game. It is a man's game and challenges are often tough and uncompromising. I always understood that a player received a red card for intent - he knew what he was doing. This referee for whatever reason saw the tackle as a deliberate attempt to foul or injure another player. I say again Vardy was knocked off balance when he was about to make the challenge and then made a fair challenge. No out of control and no two footed tackle. So why was it even deemed a foul.

What I would like to see is referee's being ordered to come out and say why they did or did not make a decision. They hide behind the mask that no matter what they do they are not accountable and that they will have the full backing of the FA. It seems referees now have too much power and are actually killing our game.

5 minutes ago, ECPL said:

VARDY FOUL OR NO FOUL

Having seen the incident and read and heard all the nonsense espoused by so called experts I am baffled as to how this could have even been given as a foul.

For a start Vardy is a player who will chase down anything. In this case in his efforts to win the ball he was knocked off balance by the defender, but being Vardy he knew he had a chance of winning the ball which he did with a fair tackle. No foul play on. But no for some reason the referee saw it differently and decided that not only was it a foul but it deserved a red card.

What has come of this game we love that genuine attempts to win the ball are rewarded with a card. I don't get it. Mark Hughes says he was out of control and it was a two footed tackle. I don't get this out of control bit – a player makes a genuine attempt to go for the ball and makes a genuine challenge, which he does. Then it is two footed. Unless Vardy has three legs I fail to see where the second leg comes from. Anyone who has ever played the game knows that legs can get tangled after a challenge – it is like to saying to the left leg when the right leg is making a challenge now don't you move. It is ludicrous. It is easy to see when a trailing leg makes a deliberate movement.

Was this a case of a referee having a notch on his whistle because he sends off a star player or did he not take into account that Vardy was knocked off balance before he made a challenge. If a referee of yesteryear were to send players off for that then he would have been laughed at and chucked out of the game toot sweet.

If players get sent off of for challenges like this then god help our game. It is a man's game and challenges are often tough and uncompromising. I always understood that a player received a red card for intent - he knew what he was doing. This referee for whatever reason saw the tackle as a deliberate attempt to foul or injure another player. I say again Vardy was knocked off balance when he was about to make the challenge and then made a fair challenge. No out of control and no two footed tackle. So why was it even deemed a foul.

What I would like to see is referee's being ordered to come out and say why they did or did not make a decision. They hide behind the mask that no matter what they do they are not accountable and that they will have the full backing of the FA. It seems referees now have too much power and are actually killing our game.

On first look I thought it looked worse than it really was.

Intent is only relevant with regards to handball (deliberate being the word used in LOTG), it is not really considered with anything else.

I think the referee also had missing the Rojo challenge mid-week at the back of his mind and this probably didn't help. Remember though we have many views of the incident and the referee has one. I do think though the Appeals Committee will over-turn the decision if Leicester decide to appeal (Mr. Vardy may prefer the Xmas period off though!).