Cornwall Football Forum

FA Trophy Replay v Forest Green Rovers

I thought I would pop down with the old man tonight to see what the fuss is all about and to be honest I doubt I will bother again no atmosphere the game itself wasn't great too many long balls my neck has now stopped hurting and the bloke on the microphone was just plain boring I think people who watch football know that at half time the teams change ends I don't think they need to be told anyway Truro were unlucky at times but lucky in other ways I thought FGR deserved the win they although at times just punted the bill long did try and get it down and play but for Truro  why have 2 strikers who are 5 foot 7 at best getting balls lumped up to them in the air when balls to there feet on the couple occasions they did it caused problems for the defence but who am I to say 

I missed the first half waiting down The Heron at Malpas for TheolderIgit but I did get to drink the pint of Proper Job I had on the bar waiting for him. No quarter given or taken in this pulsating match a credit to Truro City for a fighting display. Roll on Boxing Day, it will never match the derbies against the Auld Enemy in days gone by but a victory against the Seagulls will put the icing on the Christmas Cake.

Great effort from City tonight. Hit the bar twice from one attack in extra time with the score at 0-0. To take a full time pro team with aspirations of league football at the end of this season all the way was a credit to the club. It took FGR 114 minutes to break City down and the goal was scored by Darren Carter a player who has played over 50 premier league matches with Birmingham and WBA and in fact scored the winning penalty to get Brum promoted when they beat Norwich at the Millenium stadium about 12 years ago. It was a 25 yard rasper with no back lift fit to win any game at any level of football. Truro should be proud of themselves, thought the front two worked their socks off with little or no decent service but never gave the talented footballers from FGR any time on the ball to build attacks from the back. The two banks of four behind them were hard working and really solid and there was some superb last ditch defending with defenders throwing their bodies in front the ball blocking goal bound efforts. Ricey despite not being a box keeper did what he does best with 3 superb reflex saves on his line. In fact I think if it could have gone to penalties I would fancy Ricey to have saved a couple. Remember watching him save a penalty for Torquay at Wembley against Ebbsfleet in this very competitions final many moons ago! Great to catch up wth former City favourites Webby, Sammo and Rusty who made  it an entertaining evening on and off the pitch!! ??  The ref dished out more bookings than a Take That reunion concert!!! Thought he had left his red at home tho before he did produce it in the 119th minute!?! Not sure how much the Lino gets paid at this level but whatever it was it wasn't enough for the amount of grief he was taking from both benches and all the players!!! ? Shocking but quite funny at times. As Deacs said for a game that made us wait nearly two hours for a goal it was a real edge of your seat match and well worth the £15 for the admission and programme even though I think the club should have knocked a few quid off and there might have been more than the 350? Odd attendance. Good nights football, this time next week I'll be watching Celtic v Partick Thistle at Parkhead, hope it's as entertaining!!!  ??  It'll be colder I know that!!?

Miss those Boxing Day derbies Ray!!! Always felt bad being a Truro boy wearing that black and Amber with pride and scoring a few winners against my home town club!!!  ?   Had a few mares as well mind you!!! ?  Great games though mate. ?

7 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Not sure how much the Lino gets paid at this level but whatever it was it wasn't enough for the amount of grief he was taking from both benches and all the players!!!

I still don't understand why officials put up with the constant berating. I was standing on the opposite side of the pitch and even from there it was so obvious that FGR's manager Mark Cooper was giving it stick for most of the match. Warn him once and then if he continues - off!:SM_carton:

Fair report from the visitors

https://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/games/match-reports/first-team/2016-17/truro-city-away

10 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Great effort from City tonight. Hit the bar twice from one attack in extra time with the score at 0-0. To take a full time pro team with aspirations of league football at the end of this season all the way was a credit to the club. It took FGR 114 minutes to break City down and the goal was scored by Darren Carter a player who has played over 50 premier league matches with Birmingham and WBA and in fact scored the winning penalty to get Brum promoted when they beat Norwich at the Millenium stadium about 12 years ago. It was a 25 yard rasper with no back lift fit to win any game at any level of football. Truro should be proud of themselves, thought the front two worked their socks off with little or no decent service but never gave the talented footballers from FGR any time on the ball to build attacks from the back. The two banks of four behind them were hard working and really solid and there was some superb last ditch defending with defenders throwing their bodies in front the ball blocking goal bound efforts. Ricey despite not being a box keeper did what he does best with 3 superb reflex saves on his line. In fact I think if it could have gone to penalties I would fancy Ricey to have saved a couple. Remember watching him save a penalty for Torquay at Wembley against Ebbsfleet in this very competitions final many moons ago! Great to catch up wth former City favourites Webby, Sammo and Rusty who made  it an entertaining evening on and off the pitch!! ??  The ref dished out more bookings than a Take That reunion concert!!! Thought he had left his red at home tho before he did produce it in the 119th minute!?! Not sure how much the Lino gets paid at this level but whatever it was it wasn't enough for the amount of grief he was taking from both benches and all the players!!! ? Shocking but quite funny at times. As Deacs said for a game that made us wait nearly two hours for a goal it was a real edge of your seat match and well worth the £15 for the admission and programme even though I think the club should have knocked a few quid off and there might have been more than the 350? Odd attendance. Good nights football, this time next week I'll be watching Celtic v Partick Thistle at Parkhead, hope it's as entertaining!!!  ??  It'll be colder I know that!!?

Miss those Boxing Day derbies Ray!!! Always felt bad being a Truro boy wearing that black and Amber with pride and scoring a few winners against my home town club!!!  ?   Had a few mares as well mind you!!! ?  Great games though mate. ?

Excellent summary of the game I thought we was very unlucky  The lads should be very proud  of themselves  all of them. when the game had finished the FGR team was booed going to the dreessng room and someone shouted to the manager that he should be ashamed  of his foul mouth his reply was the best team won!!!  I know what I saw and Truro City were the better team on the night 

OK I get it,Truro played well and were unlucky.

But are'nt you people forgetting,they LOST.

Never seen so much admiration,for losing.

I have been involved with football for years,and I will tell you playing well and losing,means nothing.

Football is all about winning matches,weather you play bad or good.

Bet you TCFC would have perferred to play terrible last night and WIN.

32 minutes ago, somersetspur said:

But are'nt you people forgetting,they LOST.

Never seen so much admiration,for losing.

you are the most negative person on this forum (and there are many)...................how are Truro supposed to compete in the BUSINESS that is football!!

A little thing like geography hinders them massively, as well as other things!

Nobody businessman in their right mind is going to invest in the black hole that is TCFC because it does not make any business sense to "waste" thousands a-pon thousands of pounds just to travel to games let alone field a team or incise players to play for them.

"Supporters" of the club should be happy with what has been achieved in recent years (most prob are)........but no!.......its people like yourself who always expect more!!!

19 minutes ago, Mr Mo said:

you are the most negative person on this forum (and there are many)...................how are Truro supposed to compete in the BUSINESS that is football!!

A little thing like geography hinders them massively, as well as other things!

Nobody businessman in their right mind is going to invest in the black hole that is TCFC because it does not make any business sense to "waste" thousands a-pon thousands of pounds just to travel to games let alone field a team or incise players to play for them.

"Supporters" of the club should be happy with what has been achieved in recent years (most prob are)........but no!.......its people like yourself who always expect more!!!

I think you have contradicted yourself.

You say I am negative,all Im doing is stating a fact.We lost.

The people that are full of admiration,for losing are the ones believing TCFC are better than they really are.

We will see how we go on Saturday.

Remember ,less than 2 weeks ago we were losing to bottom club,Bishop Stortford at home.

19 hours ago, cat weasel said:

the bloke on the microphone was just plain boring I think people who watch football know that at half time the teams change ends

Sorry I bored you, Mr Weasel. I work on the basis that a few people in the ground each time DON'T know the ins and outs of football. I try not to be as patronising as the announcers at Wembley..."and at half-time, ladies and gentlemen, the score is Melchester Rovers nil, Borchester City nil.....!". I try to be a bit chatty like people are on the terraces and together with the pre-match music and post-match comments I try to foster an atmosphere that might enhance the match-day experience and make people want to come again. I was once asked why I played such awful music so I explained that you can't please everyone all the time, only some people some of the time, so to be quite fair to everyone I play music that no-one likes so that nobody feels excluded. He went off apparently happy with my explanation.

On the changing ends point, I mention for the benefit of visitors that they are free to go anywhere in the ground once they're through the turnstiles so that if they want to change ends at half-time, they are welcome. Further up the pyramid crowds have to be segregated. Still, I'll keep your comments in mind.

Good entertainment last night Truro played very well. Yes I agree there were too many long balls missing out the midfield but FGR were very good at making us panic on the ball at the back.The two full backs/wing backs could very often have releaved the situation by providing us with a bit more width which would of given the two front lads the option of showing for the ball and spinning off or running into the channel making their centre halfs turn rather than an easy header away.River Allen looked good on the ball but again had too few options from the full/wing backs. The two lads up front are very quick and for me we never turned the FGR defence enough.

1 hour ago, somersetspur said:

Well of course,he does.He works for TCFC,and everyone there are doing a great job in your eyes.

Well 'Mr Miserable' when it comes to Tom I'm probably a bit biased as I first met him 40 years ago when he taught me at school. Tom won't mind me saying that he looked a bit like a hippy back then with his long hair, but he was good fun, extremely popular with all the students and well liked by everyone. :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Rayvon said:

I missed the first half waiting down The Heron at Malpas for TheolderIgit but I did get to drink the pint of Proper Job I had on the bar waiting for him. No quarter given or taken in this pulsating match a credit to Truro City for a fighting display. Roll on Boxing Day, it will never match the derbies against the Auld Enemy in days gone by but a victory against the Seagulls will put the icing on the Christmas Cake.

I missed the first half as well - the tide was out you numpty.....came by car (!)

The pitch was the real winner, very bumpy, stopping FGR from playing a lot better I would have thought.

Truro pegged back for almost all the second half, but defended well enough - had too (!)

Only got into the other half... half a dozen times, and did not really look threatening when they did, couple flashed past the post and that was it.

High ball into the two front shorty strikers against 6ft plus defenders - not the best tactics (!)

Rocky neal - too small.

The other fella...stocky strong looking black boy....liked him, and should have got the ball to him a bit more often - but on the ground though (!)

Truro gave the little amount of ball they had away to easily for me, and looked a bit out of their depth against FGR.

Very poor crowd, I expected nearer 1,000 but TCFC did not push the  fixture at all.

With a bit of a discount, and kids in for free, they could have had a better night out, and possibly have gained a bit of support for their future home matches.

I get the distinct impression the passion is waning over there, not a jot of atmosphere in that game.

Well - except the idiot who calls himself the manager of FGR - what a pillock.

14 minutes ago, cat weasel said:

Although the booing at the end towards the FGR manager and players was a bit distasteful all he said was the best team won which was true 

....which shows him up because, as correctly stated by Dave Deacon, he should have said the better team won (in his opinion). But then, as Goldeneye has indicated, I was a teacher once (and thank you for your kind words, Goldeneye. Those were golden years. Only sorry I went bald otherwise I would have kept my hair long! Now I have to wear a woolly hat!)

So often in football the better team loses - unless judgement is purely made on the basis of the final score (which is, after all, the point of the game). Who still remembers New Zealand's  1 - 1 draw in whichever World Cup it was, when their goal was offside and one of only two attempts on goal to Italy's 20+ attempts. OK, a draw, not a victory, but which was the better side on the day? Fascinating game. Just based on possession and shots, FGR were the better side but if the result had been 1 - 0 the other way - say Richards' 56th minute shot had gone under the bar, not over with a result after 90minutes - no-one apart from their foul-mouthed manager could really have complained. Well, perhaps their equally foul-mouthed No 6 as well.

Sports psychology is seriously underrated: what else explains losing to Bishops then drawing twice (over 90 mins) with FGR? It is all the minds of the players.

On 14/12/2016 at 11:12, Mikeyburnsey said:

I  will have to disagree Dave, the difference between the teams was a Premiership player scoring a lovely goal.  It was a tremendous game 

I believe he is an ex-Premiership player, he would probably not have played if he was.

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

So often in football the better team loses - unless judgement is purely made on the basis of the final score (which is, after all, the point of the game). Who still remembers New Zealand's  1 - 1 draw in whichever World Cup it was, when their goal was offside and one of only two attempts on goal to Italy's 20+ attempts. OK, a draw, not a victory, but which was the better side on the day? Fascinating game. Just based on possession and shots, FGR were the better side but if the result had been 1 - 0 the other way - say Richards' 56th minute shot had gone under the bar, not over with a result after 90minutes - no-one apart from their foul-mouthed manager could really have complained. Well, perhaps their equally foul-mouthed No 6 as well.

Sports psychology is seriously underrated: what else explains losing to Bishops then drawing twice (over 90 mins) with FGR? It is all the minds of the players.

Tom, that was 2010 in South Africa where New Zealand drew all three games if memory serves me right.

Olderyougit the tide never goes out at Malpas, when the new stadium is built at Boscawen Park you will be able to come up on the Enterprise Saturday lunch time with your Rowes pasty in your hand and walk the last quarter of a mile and don't forget your red and black scarf.

On 16/12/2016 at 00:07, Rayvon said:

Olderyougit the tide never goes out at Malpas, when the new stadium is built at Boscawen Park you will be able to come up on the Enterprise Saturday lunch time with your Rowes pasty in your hand and walk the last quarter of a mile and don't forget your red and black scarf.

You won't need a stadium down there - there'll only be about ten watching.and 3 of them will be walking their dogs (!)

And the tide never goes out at Malpas ....stop looking through the bottom of your beer glass if I was you :drink:

23 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You won't need a stadium down there - there'll only be about ten watching.and 3 of them will be walking their dogs (!)

And the tide never goes out at Malpas ....stop looking through the bottom of your beer glass if I was you :drink:

TheolderIgetthebetterIwas        AKA.                                               TheolderIgetthebiggercurmudgeonIbecome

1 hour ago, JENGLE said:

Was I one of the only ones then to think that actually Forest Green weren't that impressive and didn't really look like a Conference Premier team on the night? Also thought the referee got a few key decisions wrong on the night.

No - they were not that impressive.

Don't think the pitch helped though.

I agree older. They probably didn't enjoy playing on our pitch as much as they do on their own patch. I was really looking forward to seeing them play and what they were about. But to be honest I wasn't impressed with them at all, apart from the goal they scored. Truro matched them in both games and on another occasion could've taken the tie.