Cornwall Football Forum

Cheeky penalty

Law 14: (infringement)
Feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker and awards an indirect free kick to the opposition.

Personally, I think this is great. The player hasn't feinted, he continues too move and his movement as such doesn't stop.

Some referees wouldn't allow this, but I'd like to think that most would! Brilliant in my opinion. I couldn't get that much power behind the ball with a few steps run up, let alone a small swing like he had!

it was a "legends" game for charity!

39 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

Law 14: (infringement)
Feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker and awards an indirect free kick to the opposition.

Personally, I think this is great. The player hasn't feinted, he continues too move and his movement as such doesn't stop.

Some referees wouldn't allow this, but I'd like to think that most would! Brilliant in my opinion. I couldn't get that much power behind the ball with a few steps run up, let alone a small swing like he had!

NO referee should allow it!

1 hour ago, Mr Mo said:

it was a "legends" game for charity!

NO referee should allow it!

Where in the law does it say it's not allowed? That is not a feint. Because it's not a feint and there is nothing in the laws to suggest the player can't do it, how can referee's penalise it?!?

6 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

Where in the law does it say it's not allowed? That is not a feint. Because it's not a feint and there is nothing in the laws to suggest the player can't do it, how can referee's penalise it?!?

Couldn't agree more, no different to the Thierry Henry/Robert Pires penalty (apart from actually being successful) or the Messi/Suarez one. Doesn't infringe the LOTG so therefore should stand IMO.

4 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

In this case faking a re-spot has to be "cheating" the keeper.  Giving the taker an unfair advantage, the same as a faint!

i take nothing away from the player, its show skill! but in my opinion its not fair!

3 hours ago, jay1982 said:

Couldn't agree more, no different to the Thierry Henry/Robert Pires penalty (apart from actually being successful) or the Messi/Suarez one. Doesn't infringe the LOTG so therefore should stand IMO.

the two examples you are bring up the taker (Henry & Messi) are doing no wrong!  the ball has to move forward (which it did) and the scorer (Suarez) or the non scorer (Pires) start the penalty outside of the box!

54 minutes ago, Mr Mo said:

In this case faking a re-spot has to be "cheating" the keeper.  Giving the taker an unfair advantage, the same as a faint!

i take nothing away from the player, its show skill! but in my opinion its not fair!

the two examples you are bring up the taker (Henry & Messi) are doing no wrong!  the ball has to move forward (which it did) and the scorer (Suarez) or the non scorer (Pires) start the penalty outside of the box!

Yes, that's your opinion (which is valid and appropriate) but referees have to go by the laws... in my personal opinion, the player didn't feint the kick. Players are allowed to feint on the approach to the ball but are not allowed to feint just prior to hitting the ball. This penalty was a fluid motion and on his final approach to the ball (the swing), there was no feint. So, in my interpretation of the laws, how can you disallow it without making up laws of our own? That's my point.

This penalty was also taken in a charity match, which is why I believe he opted for this approach 

2 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

Yes, that's your opinion (which is valid and appropriate) but referees have to go by the laws... in my personal opinion, the player didn't feint the kick. Players are allowed to feint on the approach to the ball but are not allowed to feint just prior to hitting the ball. This penalty was a fluid motion and on his final approach to the ball (the swing), there was no feint. So, in my interpretation of the laws, how can you disallow it without making up laws of my own? That's my point.

This penalty was also taken in a charity match, which is why I believe he opted for this approach 

feint1
feɪnt/
noun

1. 1.
    a deceptive or pretended blow, thrust, or other movement, especially in boxing or fencing.
    "a brief feint at the opponent's face"
    •  

verb

1. 1.
    make a deceptive or distracting movement, especially during a fight.
    "Adam feinted with his right and then swung a left"

By "faking" the re-spot, the player is making a deceptive movement (A FEINT)..........so brakes this law! :yahoo:

The correct interpretation for feinting as per the Laws Of The Game (IFAB) is "an action which attempts to confuse the opponent". The laws are written with reference to "permitted" feinting and "illegal" feinting.

This one for me, borders on the edge because IN LAW the kicker is having an unusual motion on his approach to the ball (which is permitted). Some may question his arm movement as the action straight before the kick is taken, I'm not too convinced.

I'm almost certain that this penalty will be discussed at a high level with professional referees, most notably You Are The Ref. I'll let you know their opinion once they have spoke about it.

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And there was me thinking what a bit of good fun that penalty was (!)

Now dissected to death - pundits....Pfftttt.

I thought it was brilliant :) But many people across the world are questioning the legality of it. You should see the referee forum I use.... they were literally arguing over it last night ?

This penalty was discussed on You Are The Ref this evening. Two former professional Referees in Mark Halsey and Keith Hackett both deem this penalty to be perfectly legal.