Cornwall Football Forum

St Agnes Ladies vs Mullion Ladies

I just wanted to say a few words about the match I refereed this afternoon between St Agnes Ladies and Mullion Ladies.

As soon as I arrived at Enys Park, I was greeted by the lovely Mandy Kimmins (first time we'd met) who showed me to my changing room (new building looks very good, I've not visited in a few seasons) and welcomed me to the ground. Before the game started I was offered half time refreshments then handed a very welcome cup of tea (it was freezing; that was much needed). These simple little gestures make such a massive impact - Fantastic hospitality so thank you Mandy.

Mullion Ladies have been struggling for numbers recently and turned up at the ground with just eight players. They lost a player midway through the first half due to a hand/wrist injury (I hope she is okay). Despite going 12-0 down in the first half, many teams would have collapsed. These ladies not once complained; they were laughing and joking where they could throughout the game, despite conceding a goal on average every 3-4 minutes. Their spirits remained high and they just got on with it and continued running until the very end. That says a lot about the team and despite the fact they were beaten 24-0, they still done everything that they could. Instead of chucking in the towel, they just got on with it. It was never going to be easy with 8, it didn't get any easier with seven. So, a huge well done to those players.

Also some very good football played by St Agnes with a few class goals scored. They never took the piss and stayed respectful throughout. 

Both teams are a credit to their clubs, their league and to women's football. Other than the goals... I blew my whistle five times... start of the game, half time, two offsides and then full time. Not one foul. 

All the best to both sides for the rest of the season.

Sounds like you had a really pleasant afternoon down there Dave. I've never been down to St Agnes to either play or watch football down there. But it sounds like a place that really is worth going to. Full credit to Mullion Ladies this afternoon. Anyone and everyone should have the up most respect for them. They aren't just a credit to women's football, or the Cornwall FA, but the game as a whole. You won't see many teams do what they did this afternoon. Hopefully they manage to turn things around!

I've not been there since playing for Portreath Combo quite a few seasons ago... scored a worldy from about 30 yards :c:. The place looks quite different now

You're spot on their @JENGLE, it would have been very easy for them to phone and say "we can't raise a side", but instead they turned up knowing they were going to be beaten heavily, but took it on the chin and just got one with it. I was often a lonely figure in the middle, purely there just to indicate goalkicks, corners, throw-ins and restarts. It was one of those games where a ref wasn't really needed. The girls made it that easy for me. I'm looking forward to visiting either club again :) It's not often I say that ??

As soon as I arrived at Enys Park, I was greeted by the lovely Mandy Kimmins (first time we'd met) who showed me to my changing room (new building looks very good, I've not visited in a few seasons) and welcomed me to the ground. Before the game started I was offered half time refreshments then handed a very welcome cup of tea (it was freezing; that was much needed). These simple little gestures make such a massive impact - Fantastic hospitality so thank you Mandy.

I just wondered why Mandy gave you a freezing cup of tea.