Cornwall Football Forum

England Team - You Decide!

JENGLE

37 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You need to find another manager first.

Rooney only has his goal record because of the dross there is in international football over the last number of years.

I'm surprised the Vatican hasn't entered a team into international football, any country with more than twelve residents can now become an international team.

Then Rooney can score some more "international" goals/penalties.

Can't agree with you Older. The opposition England faced in the 1950s and 1960s was a lot weaker than now, as shown by the results: England beat the USA 6-3. 8-1 and 10-0. Luxembourg 9-0, Mexico 8-0. Switzerland 8-1, Scotland 9-3, Northern Ireland 8-3 just to name a few.

At least you not finding fault with the goals Rooney has scored for Man Utd, but I expect your working on that!

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

Can't agree with you Older. The opposition England faced in the 1950s and 1960s was a lot weaker than now, as shown by the results: England beat the USA 6-3. 8-1 and 10-0. Luxembourg 9-0, Mexico 8-0. Switzerland 8-1, Scotland 9-3, Northern Ireland 8-3 just to name a few.

At least you not finding fault with the goals Rooney has scored for Man Utd, but I expect your working on that!

Penalty taker - yeah, didn't take a lot of working out.:c:

Well said Jengle.  Unfortunately the press have to sell papers so anything THEY THINK is newsworthy they go to the nth degree to destroy people whether it be Royalty, Politicians or Sportsmen, true or not.  They love to build them up and love it even more if they can knock them down.  People are people with all the flaws that go with it.   It seems as if they want to tell us what we think about people not what people are really like.  And people actually believe the so called stories.  And when they are wrong the retraction is tucked away on page ten.       

2 hours ago, ECPL said:

Well said Jengle.  Unfortunately the press have to sell papers so anything THEY THINK is newsworthy they go to the nth degree to destroy people whether it be Royalty, Politicians or Sportsmen, true or not.  They love to build them up and love it even more if they can knock them down.  People are people with all the flaws that go with it.   It seems as if they want to tell us what we think about people not what people are really like.  And people actually believe the so called stories.  And when they are wrong the retraction is tucked away on page ten.       

Don't buy papers then , ecpl  have to agree about retractions as you say they are tucked away  inside so people aren't aware of them.  To all you Rooney fans I am afraid this is the age of social media and if you sneeze out of place the whole world is aware , as on Sunday on Motd 2 programme there was a discussion about Wayne  one pundit said if he was doing the business on the pitch at present for his club and wasn't England captain  it probably wouldn't get a mention  perhaps a misjudged moment ,  on the same weekend Henderson and Llanna where out at a club  but hardly a mention . Yes we do build up players  and knock them down .

L

On 20/11/2016 at 07:57, Keith B said:

Brian Clough said in his autobiography, in response to criticism of Forest's right winger John Robertson's drinking and smoking - ''I don't give a damn how much Robbo has to drink on a Friday night - I know that on Saturday afternoon he will give me 200%. He's always first on the team sheet''. 

But Cloughie was class and from a different era , the best England manager we never had ,  

On 20/11/2016 at 11:39, fenman said:

I think one of the problems with Rooney is that for all of his career so far he has abused officials and behaved in a thuggish manner . Because he always gives 100 % he has been tolerated and allowances have been made . Unfortunately now he is on the wain ( no pun intended ) people will no longer tolerate his behaviour and his past is catching up with him.

Another problem with sportsmen and to a degree some sportswomen is that they don't seem to balance the discipline required   for their sport and stray into the fantasy world of celebrity rather than concentrating on their profession . A classic case is Lewis Hamilton , admittedly he is a good driver and he's proved that , but his arrogant petulant behaviour coupled with his involvement with the celebrity set , has turned many formula 1 fans ( the die hard's not the once in a while watchers )  including many journalists against him . I think the same applies to our national football team . Agreed many players from the past drank more than they should but there wasn't the social media spies around then watching every move , people didn't climb over people to get a selfie etc. .It's a totally different world to what some of us older ones grew up in so we will have a different opinion that younger people . We could argue the point forever and never reach an agreement .

Look at modern sportsman and the two Murray brothers from Scotland  words number 1 at tennis , and they weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths  ,   

Keith B wrote

Brian Clough said in his autobiography, in response to criticism of Forest's right winger John Robertson's drinking and smoking - ''I don't give a damn how much Robbo has to drink on a Friday night - I know that on Saturday afternoon he will give me 200%. He's always first on the team sheet''. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Clough the legend who took his Nottingham Forest team out for a few drinks the evening before an European Cup Final win and allowed them to sleep in the next morning, his way to take the pressure off ahead of the big game, everyone's choice for the job he never got that of managing ENGLAND.

Criticism of Rooney is unjust, he didn't even leave the team hotel, perhaps he should visit the fens and have a night out with the Tractor Boys or chirp away on bird seed.

15 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

How many penalties has he scored?

33 apparently.

Has scored most goals against San Marino....lol

Passes Bobby Charltons record with a penalty against - you guessed it...San Marino....lol

Has only scored 6 times in major tournaments....lol

When you actually look at the stats....he's deffo overated.

But in all of that - he still allowed to have a beer in my world.

England's classiest finisher of all time - Jimmy Greaves, you couldn't buy him today.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

33 apparently.

Passes Bobby Charltons record with a penalty against - you guessed it...San Marino....lol

England's classiest finisher of all time - Jimmy Greaves, you couldn't buy him today.

Older ask him to Penryn  fag ash and chips and half a lager .:smiley20:. but would you serve him ? .

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

33 apparently.

Is that penalties for England ? . 

13 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Back to match of the day only I say.

Might put some bodies back into watching/playing local football.

Time has passed by for that older. Last week I spoke to someone who no longer watches local football. He said that it reminds him of the Monty Python 'Dead Parrot Sketch'. It's rather difficult to argue with his assessment!

On 28/11/2016 at 07:56, Keith B said:

What a load of doom and gloom people you are. Encouragement is what's needed, not pessimism !

Doom and gloom ,. Well Mr. South gate has the job  , been overshadowed by the abuse scandals engulfing football and the tragedy in Columbia with the plane crash not a great week for football .