Cornwall Football Forum

Les Phillips Cup 2nd Round Draw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peppermint

Just a matter of interest about the name of the trophy- who is or was Les Phillips that the trophy is named after. Perhaps Pidge or Mike Odgers will know.

I remember in the 1970's Les Phillips was was either Secretary/Chairman of the Western Leagueand was a jovial figure with an abundance of enthusiasm for Western League football and could be seen regularly at all grounds.

I guess his untimely death during this time prompted the League to remember him in this way.

I will check out my Western League history book to find out more.

In todays local football a comparison could be made with Phil Hiscox of the SW Peninsula league.

Graham have you noticed Phil no longer posts on our forum due to derogatory remarks made to officers of the SWPL by three members.

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that information Mike - I thought you would know and I presume Falmouth Town probably won this trophy when they were in that League.

A pity about Phil Hiscox not posting on here because I hope I was not one of the members that are supposed to have made derogatory remarks. I did pursue the postponement of games due to County Youth matches but I feel I was not abusive etc. It was just that it was frustrating and it did reduce the Newquay/Penryn encounter to farcical levels. This Saturday there is a County Youth game but because it is the Senior Cup Newquay and others can postpone.

The guy must spend every waking hour on League matters and I am sure all of us respect the work done on all our behalfs.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

MIKE said - "have you noticed Phil no longer posts on our forum due to derogatory remarks made to officers of the SWPL by three members".

For the recored, I apologised to Phil Hiscox on this forum for directing comments towards him, when in fact I should have aimed them more generally towards the League as a whole.

Guest Postie Pidge

Les Phillips died in the late 1980s (1988?) and I think it was then that they renamed the cup. In Falmouth's stint in the Western League, entering the cup was optional, Town won it in the first season then had a few seasons out. Their full record is:

1974/75 - Winners

1977/78 - Semi final

1979/80 - 1st round *

1980/81 - 1st round *

1981/82 - Runners up

1982/83 - 2nd round *

* = round numbers need confirming

The larger than life Les Phillips was known by the league as Mr.Personality Plus,being the Western League Chairman 1971-85.

He revitalised the League in the early 70's by securing the first sponsorship with Carreras Rothmans Ltd. and then in 1982 with Great Mills ensuring a new future for the Western League.

Les was responsible for the introduction of the weekend Annual Convention of all member clubs and was in the process of organising the WL Centenary(1892-1992) before his sad death in 1988.

Rothmans were a major scalp in sponsorship terms and also sponsored the Northern League,the Hellenic League,the Isthmian League(Now Ryman League) and th Channel Islands football.

Les Phillips was responsible for Rothmans inter league matches with Falmouth's Colin Chegwyn and Joe Scott were regular players for the Western League.

Soon after the top four? teams from each league played for the Rothmans overseas Cup and I remember Falmouth travelling to Evenwood Town,Durham and also an airflight to First Tower United in Jersey.

• 2 months later...

Les Phillips Cup (Western League Cup) Saturday February 22nd. 08

BRISLINGTON v TRURO CITY

Radio Cornwall to cover the game but the presenter was a bit bemused of "what this lesser cup is all about and moreso who is Les Phillips?"

A bit of homework and research required before going on air tomorrow

Other games covered Plymouth Parkway v Falmouth (1 v 3)/Bodmin v Dartmouth (5 v 2)

These games mentioned before any of the rugby schedule.

To expand this further

who was Durning Lawrence of Cornwall Charity Cup

who Was Percy Stephens of the Falmouth Helston League

who was Arthur Dunn of the Mining League