Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Deacon

County Youth at Somerset Saturday!

Recommended Posts

Mike the team was :- 

Cornwall Team to Play Somerset - Gwillam, Otto, Heywood, Condie, Hambley (c), Oliver, Harrison, Walker, Buchan, Adkins, Webber

with subs named - Penrose, Rapsey, Turner, Flack, Stedman

I was rather hoping anyone who went to the game might have posted their comments by now! 

Or perhaps a player would like to send me their thoughts - my email - davedeacs@hotmail.com

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornwall really unlucky to lose.

The two excellent sides divided by a questionable penalty decision mid way through the first period.

Somerset were excellent in defence and restricted Cornwall to few chances, and the Duchy lads were disappointed not to taken at least one of those opportunities.

They need now to pick themselves up from this setback when they take on Gloucestershire on Saturday week in Round One of the FA County Youth Cup.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somerset U18 1 -v- 0 Cornwall U18

Match played at Welton Rovers of the Western League ground in Midsomer Norton, just short of Bath, which made for a fairly long journey. Pitch in fine condition with good facilities and excellent bar and welcoming staff for the 20 or so travelling family.

Cornwall starting line up

Luke Gwilliam GK

Back Four: Josh Otto RB, Charlie Hambly (Capt) CB , Archie Condie CB, James Haywood LB

Midfield in diamondish formation: Tyler Oliver (holding), Ed Harrison (right), Olly Walker (left/free?), Jack Webber (point)

Two upfront: Matti Buchan, Joe Adkins

Subs: Cam Turner (Oliver), Josh Penrose (Webber), Archie Flack (Heywood), Jack Rapsey (Adkins), Dan Stedman (unused)

Cornwall started the game the better and in the first five minutes had a couple of very good chances with both Matti B and Joe A going close and Cornwall could easily have been one up. However Somerset settled into the game, with three very lively players up front and their middle three rotating well and creating space, mainly on the wide - however Josh O and James H had great games in snuffing out several Somerset chances - ably supported by Archie C and Charlie H in the middle. Somerset continued pressing and took control of the half - whether through injury or otherwise, two players who looked so comfortable in the Devon game, Tyler O and Jack W looked very uncomfortable in this match and Somerset controlled the central midfield. 

Whilst on top, Somerset were awarded a very 'dubious' penalty against Charlie H, who in my opinion got to and cleared the ball first with the Somerset striker kicking him, and Somerset scored despite the valiant attempted save of Luke G. Somerset looked to press home their advantage and if not for a great save from Luke could have gone 2-0 with five to go to half time. Cornwall did still have chances though and Olly W made two runs, beating his players but failed to deliver both times and ran out of play - a lad with absolutely fantastic natural potential, just not sure his work / team ethos is right yet (great on the ball - not so good without it yet).

Half time and I' m sure Glynn and his team were happy to get in the changing rooms at 1-0, especially as the ref played 6 minutes of extra time for no apparent reason.

Second half saw some changes (not all at once but in quick succession) with Alfie F coming on at right back for the tireless James H, Cam T on for Tyler O, Josh P coming on for Jack W but moving to the right and Ed H moving central. The change in the central formation made an immediate impact - Cornwall looked far more solid with Cam T and Ed H taking control and Josh P / Olly W providing pace outside - supported by flying full backs. The second half was completely dominated by Cornwall, with the Cornish keeper spending much of the game talking to his centebacks near the half way line. 

Cornwall pushed and pushed with both Cam T and Ed H putting the now front three free, but time after time Somerset put in last ditch challenges or Cornwall wasted chances that on another day they could of scored. Jack R came on for the hard working Joe A  - bit of a surprise as Joe A seemed more of a threat to me that Matti B or Olly W, who both seemed to have tired. Jack added to the attack and Cornwall kept bombarding the Somerset goal mouth - their keeper was outstanding though. A serious injury to the Somerset left back delayed the game (hope he's okay?) for five minutes and after that in the rain for the last 5 Cornwall just could not convert their work. Final score 1-0.

The Cornwall lads were visibly upset after the match, knowing they deserved at least a point out of the game, but it was not through effort or chances in the second half - the damage was done in the first half.

This group of lads have a lot to offer, and as Glynn has said in his post match interview - if he could have this group in a League team and train them twice weekly they would be a force to beat all - maybe he ought to speak to St Blazey (lol).

Just a couple of side notes - didn't think the officials were that great (not because of the penalty - ref called it as he and Somerset saw it), most of the lads play SWPL and the Somerset lads Western League - they deserve better. Position of ref and ass refs, was in my opinion not great and communication with players was more suited to U16 games rather than lads playing Mens football.

Second thing - would be nice if the CCFA looked to consider a second coach or similar for next two away games as both in Gloucestershire - it would encourage parents / supporters to come, rather than a 4/5 hour drive. I am sure parents would pay?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites