Cornwall Football Forum

WHERE HAS ALL THE FUN GONE

ECPL

Where has all the fun gone. What on earth made the jobsworth referee give the Nottingham Forest player a second yellow card for racing to his own fans to celebarte a goal. Yet at Manchester United all the team celebrated with their fans but nobody cautioned.

I thought the law was brought in to stop players celebrating in front of visiting fans not their own. Someone somewhere must act on this as it can only be to the detriment of the game.

So what is the law and why should it differ under different referees.

There was a lady that had her leg broken early on in the season after she was bundled by fans... She was bundled and trampled over because they were trying to celebrate with their player who had just scored... He'd jumped into the crowd.

Its not about spoiling fun, it's about safety. People can get crushed and, who's to say there's not some opportunist in the crowd who would seize the moment and hurt the player? 

The law states:

Celebration of a goal

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence but players should return as soon as possible.

A player must be cautioned for:

climbing onto a perimeter fence
gesturing in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item

removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt 

Not particularly clear with regards to jumping into crowds. But, "perimeter fence" is taken as the surroundings, hoarding boards etc at that level I should imagine. 

CLIMBING ON TO A PERIMETER FENCE he did not,  Looking at the reasons above he did neither.  So unfortunately he got it wrong.  But my question included WHY WERE THE MANCHESTER UNITED PLAYERS not cautioned.as virtually the whole team did exactly what he did.  If I am not wrong a player cannot appeal a yellow card only a red one.  The law was brought in to prevent players intimidating the opposing fans by celebrating in front of them not their own.  You see it every week so why did Mr jobsworth decide it was his time to gain 15 minutes of fame.  Match officials do have a difficult job but surely they have to have a little commonsense, he obviously did not read the laws of the game.   Unfortunately the referee's will all close ranks.  One law for one is not the same as one law for the others.         .      

I must admit that I find it amusing when players indulge in this antics only for the opposition to score 3 or four goals afterwards . There was a good example last season in the premiership when someone scored in the dying minutes , the players all dived on the ground in a heap and several fans ran onto the pitch .From the kick off the opposition went straight through and equalised . It's all a matter of one's perspective I suppose .I've always thought that the time to celebrate is at the end of the game , but as W.C. Fields once said " it's only one mans opinion "

you can see both sides of the argument if you get hurt then you can say its your own fault and that should be the punishment. your not peeing off the oppo by jumping in your own fans as they are already peeved youve scored lol. i think it does take away the fun of the game. being a keeper i very rarely scored but when i did i once went into the crowd to celebrate its adrenaline spare of the moment stuff. another time i ran around the pitch with my top off being an aeroplane. but these times have changed. i think it ruins it for the ladies and some men seeing a strapping man. tops are fine but if you start getting naked then thats different.