Cornwall Football Forum

Andy Trathen RIP

Dave Deacon

Very sad news just heard that one of the county's top goal scorers in recent times passed away yesterday night. 

Especially a prolific marksman in the Combo league.

On behalf of everyone involved in local football may I pass on condolences to Andy's family and friends.

I'm sure there will be plenty more adding their own on this thread.

He was always so keen to talk about the local game and will be sorely missed by all.

Played with and against Andy, absolutely lethal in front of goal. Never saw a more natural goalscorer in Combo league football. Aside from his football ability, Andy was a great laugh to be around whether in the changing room, bar, or standing on the sideline watching a game. Had a few cups of tea over the last couple seasons when I caught up with him watching games and Andy was as knowledgeable as anyone I know about the local game. A proper football man. Very sad news for Cornish football where Andy graced many of its clubs, my heart goes out to his family and many friends. I'm sure son Ryan will carry on banging in the goals and carry on that famous Trathen name. RIP Andy mate ⚽️

Andy played for many, many season but I think I'm right in saying he started at Pendeen.

Perhaps someone can verify that and list his other clubs?

In latter seasons of his playing days he was with :-

ST IVES TOWN
PENRYN ATHLETIC
PORTHLEVEN
PENRYN ATHLETIC
FALMOUTH ATHLETIC
ST DAY

I've found this photo online from 1986!

image.jpeg

True Legend. Had the pleasure to play with him at Penzance then the not so pleasure of playing against him for years one of the best strikers to play Cornish football. 

Then had pleasure to Be joint Manager with him at Ludgvan for a few seasons learned so much from him and had some great nights in the bar with him and cads etc. 

RIP mate thoughts to all the family.

HOSKY and all at LUDGVAN football club 

Sad news indeed. Enjoyed watching him many times at Penlee Park. Condolences to Ryan and the rest of the family. Probably the most prolific striker I have seen for Penzance.

RIP Andy

Edited by magpie291
Spelling

Only saw him about 2-3 weeks ago walking through Redruth and as,we were going in different directions,it was just a quick few words.Feel now that i should have stopped and had a proper chinwag.

A lovely guy to talk to off the pitch and liked "a word or two" in my ear on the pitch.

RIP Trath.Condolences to Ryan and the family.

A great guy.Andy started young at his local village side Pendeen where he quickly became a regular goalscorer and promising talent.Although loved and respected at Pendeen he progressed up to south western league football with Penzance where I had the pleasure and "fun" of playing alongside him as well as at porthleven,helston and finally for me at Hayle.He even worked for me for a while.A real character on and off the pitch ,I can still picture his moaning on the pitch now when he was,nt getting the ball or scoring which was,nt very often and his laughter when things were good.He loved the social side too and I have many good times and memory's to share with many other teammates who grew to love Andy over the years.A popular boy who was a winner and will be missed,Andy "theres footballers and there's goal scorers"and you were definitely a goalscorer and will be missed .RIP Trath and condolences to your family.

Absolutely lost for words. Dave, is he on your legends list because he should be.

I believe he also had a spell at Falmouth Town Reserves in or around 1996

4 minutes ago, magpie291 said:

Nice one Dave.

It would be interesting to view how many goals he scored compared to appearances. 

He would certainly be up there with the very best such as the likes of Perry Bullock and Mark Rapsey and it's a tribute to Andy that both have already written their thoughts on here.

Gutted, loved the bloke - proper man, proper old school footballer.

Andy could have scored at any level, right up to and including league level  in my opinion.

Dropped him home a few times from Penryn when he was running late, and expecting a rollicking from his "boss" LOL

Hustle, bustle, strong as an Ox, then  - bang - hand in the air and a whopping grin - one nil to the Traths.

First in the bar....and very often the last LOL, just loved the craic.

.Very sorry for his family, but remember - he will always be remembered by all who knew him, and will tell stories of him in the bar for many, many years.

The true meaning of the word LEGEND.

Really sad to hear.  Had the pleasure of playing against Andy in his Pendeen days at a very windy Pendeen in the Senior Cup v St Minver back in the 80's.  He scored the winner in a 1-0 victory.  

All our best wishes from everyone at St Minver and the #cornishfootball family

RIP #cornishfootball legend

Absolutely shocked.  Finding it hard to believe.  Played against him and for him at Port last season. My king of a guy said it how it was and 9.5 out of 10 was right. Thoughts with  Ryan and family.  Gonna miss him and his team talks. RIP mate. 

Hopefully when CTB's records are up to date, Trath will be up there with the best (where he should be) as Dave says. 

The first mention of a Combo goal that I can find, I might be wrong, was on Saturday 21st January 1984 when a young Andrew Trathen scored the only goal of the game for Pendeen Rovers. The first team to be on the receiving end were Perranwell at Borlaise Park.

Truly gutted,great bloke great player. Shared some special times at St Just feast wee with Trath and remember when he turned up to watch a pre-season friendly between Hayle and Foxhole when I was managing Foxhole. We were a bit short so Andy went on the bench for us then came on and scored. Typical Trath. A true Cornish Football Great, RIP Andy Trathen.

Such sad news, a true great of cornish football has been lost. I've been lucky enough to encounter Andy is many ways over the years, watching him score goals for fun, playing with or against and most recently at Porthleven, seeing the passion he had for the game, getting us pumped on match day. My thoughts are with Ryan and all of his family at this time.

RIP Traths 

Sometimes when someone is as respected as Andy was, it doesn't matter if Andy played for or scored against your club, the respect is there for the footballer he was.