Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Ladies League Veto Helston's Application to Join

I understand that at yesterday's Cornwall Ladies League meeting that Helston were denied entry into the League by the other 10 Clubs voting by 9-1 to NOT to allow them to join.  In my view a pretty short-sighted and somewhat petty attitude towards participation when we should be actively encouraging people in sport and getting as many people playing as we can.  Discuss.

i think the area has potential, but, with RNAS Culdrose, Mabe (changing to Penryn?), and illogan close by and from what i witnessed last season in the womens league, where on more than 1 occasion teams only had 8/9/10 players there is currently enough teams in such a small area.

if the women who intended to play for Helston still wish to play, i'm sure any of the above clubs would welcome them in? where did you intent to let the womens teams play their games?

Not really such a small area when you consider the area towards Lizard, Penzance, Hayle is quite large.  Helston is central to them all and I believe the team come as a formed unit, with manager coaches etc all in place alongside the playing staff.  I think the point is that they want to play as a TEAM and Helston were willing to take them in and provide the necessary facilities to enable a seamless entry into a League.

They were (are) going to play at Helston. I cannot comment on where the players have come from because I don't know.  Can't see how it is the right decision either when you are effectively denying players the opportunity to play - very short sighted and slightly petty?

3 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

They were (are) going to play at Helston. I cannot comment on where the players have come from because I don't know.  Can't see how it is the right decision either when you are effectively denying players the opportunity to play - very short sighted and slightly petty?

short slighted? i feel you may need to take a little of your own advice and step back, why on earth would these local clubs (competing against you potentially) want to allow another team so close by into the league and thereby put their own club under strain, good forward thinking i'd say for them, but short sighted by you in not understanding why they'd come to their decision.

if your main concern is that these ladies will not now play for helston and are missing out, encourage them to a nearby club who are in the league, wouldnt be too hard to get to RNAS Culdrose/Mullion/Penyn/Falmouth would it?

Sijames - the point is that they do not want to play for any of the teams you have mentioned and to deny them the opportunity to play football together as a team is, in my opinion, petty! Surely we should be encouraging them to play football and not stopping them playing simply because they may pose a 'threat' to already established clubs??

1 hour ago, BAGMAN said:

Also hearing on the grapevine that Illogan ladies have folded so there may be a place spare anyway???

They're not showing in the ten clubs in the ready prepared league table :-

1  Bude Town

2  Falmouth

3  Mousehole

4  Mullion

5  Penryn

6  RNAS Culdrose

7  St Agnes

8  St Breward

9  St Teath

10  Wadebridge

• 1 month later...
Joint Statement Pirate FM Cornwall Women's Football League (CWFL) 

Joint Statement Pirate FM Cornwall Women's Football League (CWFL) & Helston Athletic FC

Following an FA Appeal Board Hearing, held in Newquay today, the FA upheld an Appeal from Helston Athletic to permit them entry into the Pirate FM CWFL. 
Both club and league respect the decision of the FA Appeal Board. 
On behalf of the league, Chair Mandy Kimmins said, "We look forward to welcoming Helston into the league for the forthcoming season." 
On behalf of Helston Athletic, Chairman Paul Hendy said, "We look forward to supporting the league in the forthcoming season and with their development of women's football throughout Cornwall."