Cornwall Football Forum

Ref course

If there are enough people interested, I'll get in touch with Ray and get another one organised.

You've just missed the Bodmin one; that started last Friday and the evaluations conclude this weekend.

It seems they do sit back far too much and expect people to come to them when in actual fact many would attempt the course but need a little push shal we say! I still can not see the point in part time officials though and in actual fact they can cause more harm than good especially when officiating teams in the same league as themselves?!

At this level, it's better to have part time officials than none at all. Just bare in mind that Permiership referees are also part time! Some also have full time jobs - Howard Webb (police) being a good example.

I reffed a few games in the same division as Titans last season. There was absolutely no problem. The final game of the season was the first time a team had mentioned the fact that I play for anyone... That game was in a few divisions higher. 

Officiating in the same league as you play isn't an issue. I can see why you would think so. But, whilst we are short of refs, don't bite that hands of the people that are trying to help!

1 hour ago, Dange'rous said:

At this level, it's better to have part time officials than none at all. Just bare in mind that Permiership referees are also part time! Some also have full time jobs - Howard Webb (police) being a good example.

I reffed a few games in the same division as Titans last season. There was absolutely no problem. The final game of the season was the first time a team had mentioned the fact that I play for anyone... That game was in a few divisions higher. 

Officiating in the same league as you play isn't an issue. I can see why you would think so. But, whilst we are short of refs, don't bite that hands of the people that are trying to help!

While Webb was officiating in the Premier League he was on sabbatical as they are all full-time officials in the Select Group (Along with Select Group 2- Championship referees this season).

Or dangerous don't bother to ref when you don't have a game and  let other teams go without a game ?  You could do without the hassle , oh sorry you love the game and are trying to promote it at grassroots level ?  My god there's very few people left to keep the game going in Cornwall perhaps they should all give up  then there wouldn't be any forums or games to watch or bitch about ?

5 hours ago, stevieb said:

Or dangerous don't bother to ref when you don't have a game and  let other teams go without a game ?  You could do without the hassle , oh sorry you love the game and are trying to promote it at grassroots level ?  My god there's very few people left to keep the game going in Cornwall perhaps they should all give up  then there wouldn't be any forums or games to watch or bitch about ?

It's usually just the same person on here :ninja: I seem to have to defend the fact that I'm trying to help teams get games played, y'know! :c:

7 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Oh of course I do agree. As long as you do not referee in the same division I believe it is absolutely fine.

I've reffed in div 5 last season, not one squeak from anyone, even when I reffed Titans. Mind you, I did book one of our players and he didn't speak to me for about 6 months ?

2 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

I've reffed in div 5 last season, not one squeak from anyone, even when I reffed Titans. Mind you, I did book one of our players and he didn't speak to me for about 6 months ?

That's fine, and your own club is probably only when absolutely desperate (in the kindest sense). I just think it's better to prevent any potential problems before they arise.