Cornwall Football Forum

Dave Curnow Memorial Football Match 2016

14866428-large.jpg 

A fantastic effort by all involved at West Cornwall yesterday for this game, which made over £2000 for The Rifles' Care For Casualties charity.

West Cornwall took the lead through a simply remarkable shot from Owain Barrett. Despite having multiple attempts cleared off the line, two or three against the woodwork and some very good goalkeeping by the visiting goalkeeper, West Cornwall were unable to win the game and take home the trophy for the first time as 4 Rifles scored twice in the second half.

A simply amazing gesture by both West Cornwall and 4 Rifles. A massive well done to everyone who took part in the day. Cornwall is lucky to have a club like yours. 

The story from the West Briton can be seen here: http://www.westbriton.co.uk/emotional-dave-curnow-memorial-match-raises-impressive-amount-for-help-for-heroes/story-29499405-detail/story.html 

The coverage from Spotlight can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07j94km/spotlight-weekend-news-10072016 

Photos from the day can be found here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A7779E224B51C71!8385&authkey=!AGunZ318ckHwjik&ithint=folder%2c 

I echo your comments Dange'rous. What a day this was, couldn't have enjoyed it more if I tried. A fantastic effort by everyone involved in running the event so successfully. So glad the event raised so much money for the 4 Rifles' charity. It must be said that all 3 goals scored on the day were of the highest quality. To be fair, it was fitting for the occasion. Standout players on the day from West Cornwall were Owain Barrett and their young keeper, unsure of his name. From the 4 Rifles it had to be their captain, their number 10 also their keeper, who made a number of outstanding saves. He also took the time to have a chat with me and my grandad whilst we were all waiting for the trophy presentation. A mention must also go to the officials. The referee Mike Carter, and his assistants who were yourself Dave and Elliott Green. Unsung heroes of the day really. Not often you guys get mentioned for the good work you do but you deserve it after Saturday. You all had a quality game and are a credit to the Cornwall FA. Am looking forward to next years event already.

10 minutes ago, JENGLE said:

I echo your comments Dange'rous. What a day this was, couldn't have enjoyed it more if I tried. A fantastic effort by everyone involved in running the event so successfully. So glad the event raised so much money for the 4 Rifles' charity. It must be said that all 3 goals scored on the day were of the highest quality. To be fair, it was fitting for the occasion. Standout players on the day from West Cornwall were Owain Barrett and their young keeper, unsure of his name. From the 4 Rifles it had to be their captain, their number 10 also their keeper, who made a number of outstanding saves. He also took the time to have a chat with me and my grandad whilst we were all waiting for the trophy presentation. A mention must also go to the officials. The referee Mike Carter, and his assistants who were yourself Dave and Elliott Green. Unsung heroes of the day really. Not often you guys get mentioned for the good work you do but you deserve it after Saturday. You all had a quality game and are a credit to the Cornwall FA. Am looking forward to next years event already.

I'll pass on your comments to Elliott and Porky mate, I'm not sure how often they come online. But thank you :) I thought Porky had a very good game, unsurprisingly. Not once has he ever reffed a game I've played in where I thought he'd been rubbish. He's extremely consistent.

I echo what you said, all three goals were of the highest order. I think that the Rifles CB was the player of the game. Saved off the line no less than three times to deny victory to West Cornwall. The young West Cornwall goalkeeper, when I first saw him.... I thought "this guy doesn't like like he'll be that good"... Very young, short, small physique and a nervous aura about him.... I couldn't have been any more wrong. He made some outstanding fingertip saves, kicked well under pressure, caught everything in the air and looked like a very good player. He is definitely one to watch out for in West Cornwalls reserve team next year, possibly even for the county side.

Depending on whether I'm in the UK next year, I'll certainly be going up to Alsershot for the return game. 

No problem, quality display from all the officials. Agree with you about Porky, don't think anybody can have anything bad to say about him and his officiating. Only have to look at his honours to know how good he is.

Yes, my man of the match would either have been Owain Barrett, the 4 Rifles keeper or their centre back who you mention. He didn't look the youngest but was calm and composed on the ball and very good at getting the ball out from under his feet or managing to find space when he was under pressure. Like you said, the amount of times the 4 Rifles cleared the ball off the line was unreal. Fair play to them for winning the game. The West Cornwall keeper was very good for his age, he is definitely one to watch for the future and I'm sure will make a good impression in their reserve side this season.

I'll definitely be looking to make my way up to Aldershot for the game next year. It's a bonus really as I have family up there so would be easy enough to organise.