Cornwall Football Forum

What's happening?

If it was a case of the Sunday League being no more... I'd take it on. I've been playing Sunday football since I was 16, it would be a massive shame for it to go

Ten years ago or so the results and goalscorers used to get printed in local newspapers but in recent years hardly anything ever got in. There would be a contact number for prospective new teams to contact and the dates of the AGM etc. Maybe if not just a secretary but a press officer. The Duchy League have a good piece in the Indy thanks to Mike Newcombe and Rappo does the Trelawny. Even the Veterans League gets a piece. I don't know if the WCSL would get that much but keeping the followers of Cornish Football interested and aware of things can only be beneficial.

Absolutely agree. Look at the thread this season, there's never usually a mention of the Sunday teams, despite the standard getting better with each season.

I haven't got Donovan's details but if anyone knows anything about the league this season, give me a shout if you need a hand. At the Sunday final last month I heard there was no replacement and so the league may get scrapped. I don't want that to happen 

I know a lot of people who have taken enjoyment out of the league from players to match officials and it would be a huge loss, for everybody, especially Peter Hickey who founded the league and Bill Lamin who put a lot into it and would still be if he were here.

20 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Ten years ago or so the results and goalscorers used to get printed in local newspapers but in recent years hardly anything ever got in. There would be a contact number for prospective new teams to contact and the dates of the AGM etc. Maybe if not just a secretary but a press officer. The Duchy League have a good piece in the Indy thanks to Mike Newcombe and Rappo does the Trelawny. Even the Veterans League gets a piece. I don't know if the WCSL would get that much but keeping the followers of Cornish Football interested and aware of things can only be beneficial.

I'm always happy for something to go in my monthly CORNISH SOCCER Mag if someone is able to send me piece on regular basis 

16 hours ago, zebedee said:

heard it was joining up with the other Sunday league .....Dan Coad in charge ???

That could be interesting. Porthleven Rangers v St Kew Highway! Wendron United beat St Kew and Packhorse Athletic in the County Cup last season. Once upon a time the WCSL was thriving with 22 clubs. I suppose finance plays a big part and last season there were only 8 teams. 

Personally, I think that will signal the end of the Sunday League. Who the hell wants to travel to St Kew from Mullion/Porthleven (and vice versa) rather early on a Sunday morning with a stinking hangover? Both from a player and a refereeing point of view, no chance would I do that.

4 hours ago, cornishlegend said:

I heard rumors that our Sunday up this way may be joining to your league down West next season. 

That's what I've heard. It won't work. Who wants to travel 30+ miles with a stinking hangover on a Sunday morning every other week?

Willow, U16 then U21's I believe

On Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 16:44, Dange'rous said:

That's what I've heard. It won't work. Who wants to travel 30+ miles with a stinking hangover on a Sunday morning every other week?

Willow, U16 then U21's I believe

I think your right. our league this year had 6 teams in not really good enough really. I personally enjoy Sunday football it's a good laugh. 

In the last 20 years, the following teams have appeared in the West Cornwall Sunday League:

AG Sports, Baltic Pine, Barley Sheaf, Berwick Rangers, Booters, Boscawen, BTFC, Bunters Bar, Camborne Park, Castaways, Churchtown, City Inn, Clipper Bar, Cornish Arms, Cornish Choughs, Crowntown, Crowntown Casuals, Culdrose Old Boys, Culdrose Star, Falmouth Albion, Falmouth Town, Falmouth Villa, FC Rangers, FC Mawnan, First & Last, Four Lanes, Frogpool/Cusgarne, FX Union, Gloweth United, Gulval, Halsetown, Hayle, Humphrey Davy, Illogan Spartans, Kennack Rangers, Kernow Entertainers, Lamp & Whistle, Mabe Wanderers, Madron, Malabar United, Marazion Blues, Mawnan JS, Mawnan Red Lion, Macnamaras, Mortgage Group, MPAD United, Mullion, Mullion Juniors, Old Quay, Old Smithy, Old Smithy Reserves, Oxford Inn, Penryn Borough, Penryn United, Penzance Astro Park, Porthleven Rangers, Praze, Railway Inn, Railway Tavern, Regent, Robartes Arms, Shortlanesend, St Georges, St Keverne, Star Inn (St Erth), Stithians, Storm, Swan Inn, Tesco, Terrills, Threemilestone, Trelander, Tremough, Tremough Two, Trevenson United, Troon, Truro Athletic, Truro GWRSA, Truro United, Tyacks, Wendron, West Cornwall, Western Eagles, White Hart, William IV.

Some might be the same club reformed under a new name but I think that's all of them, from 1995/96 up to and including 2015/16.

I'm the secretary of the CSFL and I've been asked to help revitalize Sunday football. Our clubs want to merge in some form or other and are happy to travel as they always have done. Unfortunate the teams down west are not. We mooted the combining of leagues 3 seasons ago when it looked like the west would collapse but due to "free affiliation" being offered it came back from the brink. However, this appears to have been a respite and with Donovan stepping down we at the CSFL have again been asked, with Cornwall FA's help to look at some sort of merger. As I stated our clubs are excited about the prospect, unfortunately once again the West have balked with travelling the main concern. It has been suggested in emails I take over from Donovan but that will not be happening if the West remain a separate entity, why would I? The suggestion mooted 3 years ago and the way forward as I see it is and as Zebedee mention in his post is to have an east and west league, each team playing home and away, the top half of each league then going in to "Champions League" group, the bottom half a "Europa League" group. That way all teams retain an interest through out the season and travelling is only restricted to the second half of the season against 3 or 4 clubs. Each league would retain 1 of their own cups but a 3rd cup for both clubs introduced, early rounds drawn on a regional basis. It was mentioned that this would devalue the Sunday Cup though the west have been devaluing it for several seasons by failing to turn up for games against our league, Saltash or Tregadillet. Our clubs always hope for an away tie against Mullion or Tremough etc and will travel en masse for these games. I publicly urge the West clubs to look at the proposals put above and see it as a positive move towards a vibrant and competitive Sunday competition whilst retaining some of the independence of the 2 leagues.  

On 21 June 2016 at 19:59, WendronOfficial said:

He was only 20/21 and didn't want to do it after two years. Who can blame him. He'd rather play. Not easy getting a team together on a Sunday morning. Yeah 99% of the players play for us on Saturdays - although others are welcome - from our four Saturday teams. They've got a good bunch of lads. 

If there is a league, we will put a side out, no worries!

On 26 June 2016 at 18:01, Bumdingo said:

I'm the secretary of the CSFL and I've been asked to help revitalize Sunday football. Our clubs want to merge in some form or other and are happy to travel as they always have done. Unfortunate the teams down west are not. We mooted the combining of leagues 3 seasons ago when it looked like the west would collapse but due to "free affiliation" being offered it came back from the brink. However, this appears to have been a respite and with Donovan stepping down we at the CSFL have again been asked, with Cornwall FA's help to look at some sort of merger. As I stated our clubs are excited about the prospect, unfortunately once again the West have balked with travelling the main concern. It has been suggested in emails I take over from Donovan but that will not be happening if the West remain a separate entity, why would I? The suggestion mooted 3 years ago and the way forward as I see it is and as Zebedee mention in his post is to have an east and west league, each team playing home and away, the top half of each league then going in to "Champions League" group, the bottom half a "Europa League" group. That way all teams retain an interest through out the season and travelling is only restricted to the second half of the season against 3 or 4 clubs. Each league would retain 1 of their own cups but a 3rd cup for both clubs introduced, early rounds drawn on a regional basis. It was mentioned that this would devalue the Sunday Cup though the west have been devaluing it for several seasons by failing to turn up for games against our league, Saltash or Tregadillet. Our clubs always hope for an away tie against Mullion or Tremough etc and will travel en masse for these games. I publicly urge the West clubs to look at the proposals put above and see it as a positive move towards a vibrant and competitive Sunday competition whilst retaining some of the independence of the 2 leagues.  

Which west clubs haven't travelled? I've played in two county cup finals in recent season and been every where asked of me! 

On 6/30/2016 at 21:21, marrabean said:

If there is a league, we will put a side out, no worries!

Which west clubs haven't travelled? I've played in two county cup finals in recent season and been every where asked of me! 

In the second round season just gone Gwinear Royals, Tremough & Porthleven Rangers all failed to show. It's there on the FA website. I struggle to understand how you don't know that. You may have showed up but they didn't. Yes they had reasons or excuses but they still failed to fulfill the fixture. Mullion would have also conceded the tie against Packhorse as they couldn't raise a side, I personally spoke to their manager and told him not to concede as the weather would probably postpone the tie, we also offered to travel to Mullion if it would help with them raising a side. So there you have it, 3 clubs failed to show and one was offered an olive branch and help by our club. To their credit Mullion turned up at ours a week later and put on a terrific performance. Our 2 St Kew sides drew each other and played their tie in Truro. Both St Kew Highway and Packhorse played at Wendron and showed no problem, Bodmin Dragons played Shortlanesend (I would say no problem but they put the secretary's home postcode in the satnav and turned up there for the game!). I was also part of the Carlyon Arms team that played Wendron at home a few seasons back on their way to winning it. The Wendron representative actually said to me that if they had known it was so far to Par they would have booked overnight accommodation! OK, so most of the above backs up the argument about not wanting to travel and keep the league as it is. But it's a sad indictment that there is such a mentality by so many clubs down West. 

1 hour ago, Bumdingo said:

In the second round season just gone Gwinear Royals, Tremough & Porthleven Rangers all failed to show. It's there on the FA website. I struggle to understand how you don't know that. You may have showed up but they didn't. Yes they had reasons or excuses but they still failed to fulfill the fixture. Mullion would have also conceded the tie against Packhorse as they couldn't raise a side, I personally spoke to their manager and told him not to concede as the weather would probably postpone the tie, we also offered to travel to Mullion if it would help with them raising a side. So there you have it, 3 clubs failed to show and one was offered an olive branch and help by our club. To their credit Mullion turned up at ours a week later and put on a terrific performance. Our 2 St Kew sides drew each other and played their tie in Truro. Both St Kew Highway and Packhorse played at Wendron and showed no problem, Bodmin Dragons played Shortlanesend (I would say no problem but they put the secretary's home postcode in the satnav and turned up there for the game!). I was also part of the Carlyon Arms team that played Wendron at home a few seasons back on their way to winning it. The Wendron representative actually said to me that if they had known it was so far to Par they would have booked overnight accommodation! OK, so most of the above backs up the argument about not wanting to travel and keep the league as it is. But it's a sad indictment that there is such a mentality by so many clubs down West. 

Hi, I posted the overnight stay as a joke on here. Par is not that far to be making once a season, I can't remember when a side from Wendron did not fulfill a fixture? 

I can't say why clubs from the West aren't keen travellers. Some sides struggle to fulfill local fixtures yet alone ones across the county. 

Do many players in the East play on Saturdays? That's the only thing I can think of: a lot of players from the West seem to play Saturdays too and may rather prefer a local kick about than go 'up East'. 

The Sunday League has great tradition and should be kept going by any means! Maybe a Cornwall league with two divisions separated by different geographics or a Premier and Div 1? Teams not willing to travel for a league could be invited to play in the cup as has been done before? 

I just hope the West section doesn't die. Donovan has done a great job - thank you! 

4 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

Hi, I posted the overnight stay as a joke on here. Par is not that far to be making once a season, I can't remember when a side from Wendron did not fulfill a fixture? 

I can't say why clubs from the West aren't keen travellers. Some sides struggle to fulfill local fixtures yet alone ones across the county. 

Do many players in the East play on Saturdays? That's the only thing I can think of: a lot of players from the West seem to play Saturdays too and may rather prefer a local kick about than go 'up East'. 

The Sunday League has great tradition and should be kept going by any means! Maybe a Cornwall league with two divisions separated by different geographics or a Premier and Div 1? Teams not willing to travel for a league could be invited to play in the cup as has been done before? 

I just hope the West section doesn't die. Donovan has done a great job - thank you! 

I know it was a joke, hence the exclamation mark. To be honest if 11 young lads had an overnight Saturday in St Austell I'm guessing they would have been even more hung over. Yes, most of them play Saturday football, I see all the registration forms. I'm also not suggesting Wendron didn't fulfill fixtures, I accurately gave the names of clubs that failed to fulfill a game in the Sunday Cup last year. Wendron are clearly an extremely well run club that fulfills it's fixtures. 

Ha very true! 

Thanks, but I agree, it is at time a bit of a mess. We - and other teams - get frustrated when a local fixture isn't fulfilled. I don't know the reasoning and I don't know the answer to it. 

It seems like you do a great job up East and I imagine, not that I know s great deal about how the Sunday Leagues are run, that you working in close conjunction with somebody from the West would be a good way to go. Maybe it would mean a re-structuring of the leagues but it is important it is kept going! 

3 hours ago, Tempo said:

Any news on what's happening? We are working our hardest to set up a team at Falmouth but with everything up in the air it's proving difficult. 

Meeting Wendron Thursday night,with FA, myself, and club reps rest assured there will be a league(s). Maybe you can come

@Dange'rous from the Sunday League Facebook page...

Last night @ Wendron FC, Cornwall FA, representatives of both East and West clubs and myself sat down and discussed the future of Sunday Football to a) keep it alive and B) make it a more attractive competition. Armed with a format proposed by Cornwall FA we have reached a solution that give or take a few points yet to be ironed out will be implemented for 2016-17. The stumbling block was the West clubs apathy towards "travelling" whereas our East clubs seem to relish an away day. The basic format of the season will now be as follows (and this depends on the number of teams there are in total but can/will be altered accordingly). There will be an East, Mid and West league, with either 4 or 5 clubs in each. The leagues will be based on club location. Mid will be a mix of both East and West. If a few more clubs join then there will be East A / East B, West A / West B. Each club in a division will play each other home & away. The top teams at the end of this mini league will go through to a "Champions" group, this could also include the best runner up. This group will be a mixture of East & West sides and will face off home & away. This will decide the Cornwall Champion. The next set of 4 or 5 clubs who were next best ranked after the initial phase will form a second league and again face each other home & away. These teams will be playing for a trophy as well. The teams finishing at the bottom will form a league and they to will have the opportunity to play for a trophy. This format means all clubs retain an interest in winning a trophy right to the end of the season, we get a definitive Cornwall Champion and travelling is kept to the second half of the season. Each league will keep their own cups and play those ties mid season with the finals as ever in May. The Sunday Cup will remain as it is. The FA suggest we adopt the West League and Sunday Cup rules regarding senior players and substitutions. This would mean 3 senior players now available per team instead of 1 and we go back down to 5 rolling subs instead of 7.

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

The proposals make interesting reading for the Sunday League next season. Would this in effect be the coming together of the Cornwall Sunday Football League and the West Cornwall Sunday League?
If so, why is there a need to change from last season?

Wasn't it something to do with the loss of committee members in West Cornwall Sunday League?

The issues in Sunday football run much deeper than the clubs, the format and the competition. Without the correct people to run it there is no league. You can have 50 clubs but with no figure head to steer it there will be problems. The East and West had a really good meeting last week, something we should have possibly done years ago, not with a view to a merger but to exchange ideas. We are basically mirrors of each other yet have had no lines of communication for years. The odd game in the Sunday cup is the only time we cross swords. This new format is a coming together but also allows both leagues to keep it's own identity with regional groupings and the cups kept exclusively for each league.