Cornwall Football Forum

Referees Next Year

Just now, Keith B said:

Certainly hope they don't hang up their whistles Tempo.

I am hoping the same. I fear the plugged shortage may become evident again at the start of the new season. All rumours for now of course though.

• 1 month later...
On 30/05/2016 at 19:08, Tempo said:

I am hoping the same. I fear the plugged shortage may become evident again at the start of the new season. All rumours for now of course though.

what are your plans young man? things cant be that bad that you've only just had a taste of the whistle and now you want to jack it all in already?!

Dan, playing again this season for Titans (last season before pushing through as a ref), reffing midweek games, Military games and on Sunday's.

As for referees hanging up their whistles, I've heard of quite a few that have said they will or they are considering it. A massive shame in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Dange'rous said:

Dan, playing again this season for Titans (last season before pushing through as a ref), reffing midweek games, Military games and on Sunday's.

As for referees hanging up their whistles, I've heard of quite a few that have said they will or they are considering it. A massive shame in my eyes.

Any particular reason other than all the grief they get?

I'll still referee when we don't have a game, but I am doing (at least) one more season managing Frogpool Reserves (and playing when I can get in the side). Happy to referee mid-week and Sunday fixtures and any Saturdays we don't have a game. Doing my first friendly this Saturday.

Seeing some of the grief that some excellent referees were receiving on the forum did almost put me off, I must admit.

5 minutes ago, Sijames said:

WHAT ARE THESE REASONS?????!!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Anita said:

The grief is not really part of the reason some refs are hanging up. It doesn't help but there is other reasons :-D 

Exactly what hat I was going to put. Grief comes with it. Refs deal with that.

There are other factors as to why people are quitting the game and/or returning to playing... But, I won't be the one to publically air these factors because I can't be bothered with the repercussions that would follow.

Just know that there are reasons, and even with me being inexperienced as a referee compared to many of our friends on this forum, I've noticed and experienced what puts these guys off.

Im just wondering if Anita has changed her mind yet? :c:

4 minutes ago, Anita said:

I've not changed my mind. I won't be a ref this season. I have informed the ccfa with a list of reasons. I know I'd upset a lot of people with some of my reasons for quiting so I won't put them on a public forum. 

Do you think any notice will be taken Anita?

Reading a programme from 1992 and the mini-biog of the referee who doesn't officiate anymore (he might not even be alive) but I know that new referees are mentored. It's a shame something couldn't be sorted whereby a retired referee who does not join up with the assessor brigade and still has an interest in football couldn't either mentor or chaperone new officials regardless of , experience or age. Having someone who has been there to bounce ideas of and gain support from - support not criticism I feel could be beneficial. If not with the same referee then at a local venue. I don't know if it would work but when the knees go and running around becomes difficult there is still a need for experience without paperwork.

7 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Reading a programme from 1992 and the mini-biog of the referee who doesn't officiate anymore (he might not even be alive) but I know that new referees are mentored. It's a shame something couldn't be sorted whereby a retired referee who does not join up with the assessor brigade and still has an interest in football couldn't either mentor or chaperone new officials regardless of , experience or age. Having someone who has been there to bounce ideas of and gain support from - support not criticism I feel could be beneficial. If not with the same referee then at a local venue. I don't know if it would work but when the knees go and running around becomes difficult there is still a need for experience without paperwork.

I thought there were mentors!

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I thought there were mentors!

There are mentors, but just like with referees there aren't many around.

Many of the instructors and senior referees do though offer there services to talk through problems either at branch Referee Association meetings or over the phone.

New referees are also mentored through some of their first 5 games as part of the requirement to move from Level 9 to Level 7.

But the fact is when many referees drop out they leave everything so there aren't the numbers to mentor that are needed.

Yeah, I was mentored for a couple of my first games and it really does help. But as pointed out, there just aren't the numbers anymore. Plus, a lot of those who have stuck around to mentor are also those still refereeing!

On 06/07/2016 at 15:49, Anita said:

I've not changed my mind. I won't be a ref this season. I have informed the ccfa with a list of reasons. I know I'd upset a lot of people with some of my reasons for quiting so I won't put them on a public forum. 

You will be missed Anita. All aspects of the game need strong characters !!

I understand that other factors interfered with your ability to be a Referee, I respect your decision but i am not the only one who would like to welcome you back any day you change your mind.

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Fantastic turn out for the annual fitness test for Combo/ECPL/SWPL West/SWPL Prem Assistants. I would say at least 40 referees there.

I'll echo that! 

For Level 5-4 candidates it is 2600m in 12 minutes and 2x50m sprints in 7.5 seconds.

For others it is 800m in 5 minutes followed by 6x20m sprints, 5x30m sprints and 4x40m sprints and then 400m in 5 minutes again.

After this is successfully completing the practical assisting section.

Edited for mistake in 800 instead of 400 at end.

Edited by bighairydave

How Many New level4 Referees for Cornwall this year?

I wonder if there will be many from East Cornwall? still just Stuart Kane and myself at present with Jimmy Strout from Port Issac and Ryan Cornelius at St Austell.

Real shame to hear that Derek Fox turned down his Level 3 promotion... top geezer...

Would love to see Simon Long from Truro do more for the county with his amazing Premiership experience

50 minutes ago, pillatonreferee said:

How Many New level4 Referees for Cornwall this year?

I wonder if there will be many from East Cornwall? still just Stuart Kane and myself at present with Jimmy Strout from Port Issac and Ryan Cornelius at St Austell.

Real shame to hear that Derek Fox turned down his Level 3 promotion... top geezer...

Would love to see Simon Long from Truro do more for the county with his amazing Premiership experience

Has Simon been offered one of the full-time assistant places?

5 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Has Simon been offered one of the full-time assistant places?

No Don't think so....

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Such as what?

I think could work closer with Ray Brown as he is such a senior referee. He even said to me last night that he has little contact from him.

As a referee you can take so much from someone like him. I know I did last night

4 hours ago, Dave Deacon said: