Cornwall Football Forum

Porthleven unveil Richards as new first-team manager

Taken from the West Briton By Lee Hall.

PORTHLEVEN have confirmed the appointment of Kevin Richards as their new first-team manager.

Richards, who has been associated with Port as a player and a manager over a 30-year period, replaces Charlie Young, who stepped down at the beginning of the month.

Young will remain at the club as a player/coach, and has been named as Richards' captain next season.

Richards, who guided Mullion to the Combination League title in 2015 in his third year with the club, will be assisted by Martin Pennington and Chris Strike.

Richards said: "I've missed being here and I'm delighted to be back. I've had 12 months out of the game, it didn't work out at Mullion, but it's great to have the opportunity back at Porthleven."

The club have also confirmed the appointment of Daryl Hunter as second team manager.

Richard said: "This is not just about the first-team, it's about the whole club, working together between the first and second team."

Port's first-team finished a disappointing second from bottom in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League, while the seconds finished bottom of the Combination League.

He added: "It was a disappointing season for the club as a whole, but we will work hard this summer in improving the squads. We won't run before we can walk but I'm confident we can slowly turn things around."

Richards' last spell in charge of Porthleven ended in 2012, before taking over at Mullion, where he guided the club to eighth, sixth and first in his three seasons there.

Great appointment from Port. Kev was a top player for the club in his prime and an absolute gentleman. Every time Kev kicked me he always picked me up again!!! ?   The type of man manager you want to play for, always talks sense and knows the local game inside out. Great for the youngsters and experienced players alike, knows how to treat people. Port are a sleeping giant of a club and with Kev at the helm there is a good chance the giant will be woken up!!! If you read this, best wishes from me Kev, always a pleasure to chat football with you. Good luck mate. ?⚽️

Great appointment by Port. Kev is a really good man manager and also more importantly proven to be succesful at every club hes been connected with and with Martin & Chris helping him things could be looking good for next season