Cornwall Football Forum

Truro 7 Ilfracombe 1

The car park was certainly chock-a-block but I was eventually able to leave my Volkswagen amongst the assorted Bandwagons. While queuing at the gate, I got talking to a chap from down west, who cheerfully admitted this was his first visit to Treyew Road since we went decimal, and who seemed genuinely shocked at the £5 admission. Noting that pensioners were being charged less, I made a weak joke about Senior Citizens perhaps being Truro's latest Mexican signing, but he didn't hear me as, by now, he was trying to negotiate a discount on the cost of a programme.

My attention was then drawn to a small group wearing strange clothes unfurling a banner. At first, I thought it was a Fathers For Justice publicity stunt, but their frequent sorties to the lavish official merchandise hut soon put me right.

I spent most of the game in the pleasant company of a well-dressed gentleman with a Home Counties accent. As both teams entered the field to a burst of polite applause, he remarked he didn't much care for Truro's blue shirts; I felt like Derek Acorah as I patiently explained to him that he was actually looking at the other side. At half time, he opened a tupperware container, revealing a huge mound of prawn sandwiches, which he was still happily munching when the inevitable goal glut finally arrived. Each strike was accompanied by more courteous clapping by the strangely subdued crowd who were otherwise so quiet you hear a grasshopper fart at 300 paces. At the final whistle, I asked the well-dressed man whether he would watch Street at the weekend, but he said he hadn't seen it since Hilda Ogden had been written out.

Guest Peppermint

Very entertaining as usual Darin.

I watched the match last night and thought Truro City deserved to win but perhaps the score did not fully reflect the game. The opposition probably did not deserve to lose by such a big margin. City played some good attacking football but I thought the player for Ifracombe who wore number 9 always looked dangerous and caused the home defence some problems.

I thought the referee had a good game and was up with play all the time.

Very accurate post Pepermint, I also watched the game last nite and agree with you on the dangerous no9. In the first half Ilfracombe had 4 one-on-one chances and only made the keeper work once. In the second half Ilfracombe had a perfectly good goal ruled out by the linesman. I was standing directly behind the lino,a Ilfracombe player broke clear and shot from close range at the truro goal, the keeper saved well but the rebound went to an on-coming player who shot into the goal.Where the offside was I don,t know,and I don,t think many supporters around me knew either. But a good Truro performance overall. slightly shakey in defence without Smith though!

Guest Terrier Tom

Managed to get to TCFC last night for the first time in about 1 1/2 years! First half was quite tight despite City domination. I thought the second half change to move the right sided centre half to the middle made all the difference and little did they look 'shaky' after that as he dealt easilyt with the opposing no.9. The sub at half time made a lot of difference too. I spoke to several truro fans who suggested the defence looked better without smith and his apparent lack of pace. never it was my first game for a year or so, but i enjoyed it greatly. well played both teams. :drink::drink::c: :c:

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that endorsement topcat and I was quite near where you were standing and thought the visitors were unlucky to have the 'goal' disallowed.

A number of spectators were also of the same opinion that Smith looked short of pace and against quick forwards would struggle. In my humble opinion I think City have some exciting midfield and forward players but before they move up to the next league [which I am sure they will] Dave Leonard might have to strenghten the defence.

Whats all this rubbish about Tom Smith and his lack of pace?If any thing it was Smithy's absence that made the Truro defense a little shakey in the first half.In the second half when they brought on Chambers in place of Danny Harris Tavistock never really created anything.Smithy is a big favourite at Truro,and the supporters are keeping their fingers crossed that he is back in time for our F.A. Vase match in 2 weeks time.If as said Tom may lack pace against a pacey forward,he more than makes up for that with his defensive ability,reading the game,and distrbution,plus the fact he is a first rate captain of the side.Most teams in the Toolstation Premier league would give their right arm to have a central defender of Toms class in their team.

Truro have defensive problems? Just look at the league stats and see how many goals that we have conceeded in the last couple of seasons and you have your answer.

KIT 65.

Guest Terrier Tom

Fair enough Kit :thumbsup: I haven't seen Truro for over a year so wouldnt know, just going on what was said to me! i thought right from the start of the second half the defence looked tighter (i think there was some change), and the sub who came on at half time looked very sharp. best of luck :clapper:

Guest Peppermint

Kit 65 - it was just an observation on the night as far as I was concerned and the Ilfracombe number 9 did cause the Truro defence some problems. The midfield and forwards played some excellent football going forward and the quality of crosses was very good.

It is just the fact that the higher City go in the Pyramid, [and they obviously will with the squad they have], they will certainly have to strenghten the squad. Obviously an astute manager like Dave Leonard knows this and will look to add to his already impressive squad.

To be fair I know City have only conceded very few goals but the standard last season meant they were far too good for the other teams in their league. This year they have already played teams that are capable of extending Truro and obviously supporters are seeing better games. On Tuesday evening the first half the visitors held their own but one purple patch at the start of the second half sealed the match for the home team.

I made my observations on just the one game I have seen City play this year and perhaps that might not be as objective as others who have seen plenty of games. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Incidentally Kit 65 did you mean Ilfracombe and not Tavistock!

Fair enough Kit :thumbsup: I haven't seen Truro for over a year so wouldnt know, just going on what was said to me! i thought right from the start of the second half the defence looked tighter (i think there was some change), and the sub who came on at half time looked very sharp. best of luck :clapper:

Thanks for your reply Terrier Tom,and understand that you haven't seen many games for a while.Dont know if you live near to Truro,but if you have the spare time maybe it would be worth while watching a few more games.I think you would enjoy the standard of football played week in and week out.Best of luck to you also mate.

KIT 65.

Kit 65 - it was just an observation on the night as far as I was concerned and the Ilfracombe number 9 did cause the Truro defence some problems. The midfield and forwards played some excellent football going forward and the quality of crosses was very good.

It is just the fact that the higher City go in the Pyramid, [and they obviously will with the squad they have], they will certainly have to strenghten the squad. Obviously an astute manager like Dave Leonard knows this and will look to add to his already impressive squad.

To be fair I know City have only conceded very few goals but the standard last season meant they were far too good for the other teams in their league. This year they have already played teams that are capable of extending Truro and obviously supporters are seeing better games. On Tuesday evening the first half the visitors held their own but one purple patch at the start of the second half sealed the match for the home team.

I made my observations on just the one game I have seen City play this year and perhaps that might not be as objective as others who have seen plenty of games. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Incidentally Kit 65 did you mean Ilfracombe and not Tavistock!

Thanks for your reply Peppermint.I agree the Ilfracombe No 9 did cause a problem or two with his pace in the 1st half but did not take full advantage of it did he?But as you may have noticed,in the 2nd half when the back row were changed and young Tom Chambers was brought on as a replacement for Danny Harris the big pacey No 9 didn't get much joy.To be honest this was the first chance I had to see how the young Tom Chambers would fit in with the first team squad,and was very impressed with him.I certainly think he will be an asset to the first team back row in the future.

Anyhow all the best of luck to you and yours for the rest of the season.And glad you enjoyed the game.And yes I did mean Ilfracombe and not Tavistock.I must cut down on the Strongbow ha ha

KIT 65.