Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League - Wednesday May 11th 2016

29 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

The premier league referees are governed by the premier league, not the FA. Imagine this, Rooney, Aguero (or some superstar) that people are spending good money to watch swears at the referee... Referee sends him off. Imagine the uproar. The money that the fans would feel is wasted. Unfortunately it's not an FA thing, once referees reach a certain point, they aren't allocated and managed by the county, they are with the FA. After that, then they are with the Premier League. Hell, they probably want to dismiss when a player swears, but their "terms" say they can't. Unfortunately the higher you go, football transitions from a sport to a business..

I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge;

Firstly, the first paragraph.. I agree with you 100%.

Who was the official? I don't really want to say, but if you check the fixture on full time or the referee appointment sheet, you will see.

Do officials have a trial period? They have an initial five game period before they reach level 7, until that point, they are classed as trainees.

Have mentors/coaches? Yes, some do. I believe all the young academy refs have mentors that they come under. I never got a mentor or coach. The first time I was watched (other than the qualifying game), I was being assessed. I think it depends on competence level. I know that all of the new guys have been watched by assessors and mentors, so that policy may have changed. Regardless, the majority of the senior/experience referees, The RDO and Ref App. sec all operate an open door policy, which I've used on a few occasions.

What happens after this period? We get assessed regularly, especially more so if we have applied for promotion. The CFA try to get reps to watch the games.

Newbies quoting the laws all the time is exactly what they are being paid to do. I'm fortunate that I've been in the game for a while. At 29 years old (on Monday for those wanting to send me a present), I like to think I've got enough experience in me to make the transition to referee quite easy. My assessments so far and the positive feedback I've received have helped me to see that is the case. Language on the field, for me is all about context. I can understand frustration because I do it myself when I play. But, when you aim it at someone, it's a different story. Also all depends on the manner it's said in aswell; is the player frustrated? Was it a reaction? Has the player had time to think about what he's about to say etc?

Ive been refereeing since October, I've done just over 40 games since then, which I'm proud of considering the weather and the fact I'm still actively playing. As a referee, I'm not very experienced. But the reason I've had good assessments, marks and feedback is because I apply the experience I've gained from playing over the last 13 years :)

At a time when referee numbers are dwindling, we have to become accustomed to the fact that quite a few of the newbies will be youngsters needing an extra few quid, or players that haven't played for particularly long. It would be great to see more experienced players take my approach; play the game and ref when you don't have one :) 

Hi Dave, just a couple of corrections. Firstly you don't get regularly assessed,  unless you apply for promotion. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been assessed in the 12 years I've been reffing. And as for mentors ..... what are they???   

40 plus games and playing since October,  you must be doing something right. By the time my season  is over I would of done 32 games since August and I don't play :-D 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anita, you must feel doing something right! Assessors will only attend if they are monitoring a club or referee who they have had complaints about.

there are not many mentors or assessors, mainly due to the shortage in referees. Many are still active and can only assess when they don't have a game.

ive been mentored once and picked up some useful tips. The person who mentored me is still an active referee though so I can only assume that there can't be a lot of time for them.

Saying that, the gap must be slightly plugged as I have no match today despite no game for Frogpool Reserves :) 

Tempo, you should offer your services to one of your more elderly colleagues, at the fag-end of a long and weary season I'm sure they'd appreciate it. You could do half a match each, or even half a pitch each if it's one of those refs with knackered knees! Dange'rous is playing today so no point in offering there!

4 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Tempo, you should offer your services to one of your more elderly colleagues, at the fag-end of a long and weary season I'm sure they'd appreciate it. You could do half a match each, or even half a pitch each if it's one of those refs with knackered knees! Dange'rous is playing today so no point in offering there!

Haha as much as I would love a game I'm not that desperate just yet ? I'm refereeing a friendly midweek so I'll get some experience there at least :)

25 minutes ago, Tempo said:

ive been mentored once and picked up some useful tips. The person who mentored me is still an active referee though so I can only assume that there can't be a lot of time for them.

Saying that, the gap must be slightly plugged as I have no match today despite no game for Frogpool Reserves :) 

With only two SWPL games today that has helped I would imagine.

I believe that with the two course I've been involved in, the guys that have come out of that have plugged the gap. All of the guys on the courses have completed fixtures. There hasnt that many games without refs since, certainly not at the level it was before October. So I applaud the guys that have attended the courses and officiated since :) That doesn't mean to say I don't appreciate all the current referees either before anyone says "Oi, what about us?" :)

Or maybe he has nothing better to do? Ha! But seriously he's doing a good job on behalf of the CCFA what exactly are they doing? Do they have anyone in a position to recruit officials or is it normally left to the 'public' to organise and push this?

I would have absolutely no interest in a job with the CCFA I'm afraid. I enjoy fixing helicopters :)

Ill be honest; I got so sick of seeing games being postponed due to no referee. I could see it only getting worse before it got better. I didn't see anything being done about it so I took it upon myself to try and do something for Cornish football, or at least for junior football in our region. I like to think that my input has made a difference, otherwise what was the point?

The county have a Referee Develop Officers who's job is in the title. He's the one responsible for the recruitment and retention of referees :)