Cornwall Football Forum

New Team, Players, Coaches, Volunteers Wanted!

JamesLM

Looking to start a new team to play in the Kingsley league next season, need new players, coaches, volunteers to help with admin etc, anyone that has any experience in this your advice/ guidance would also be extremely welcome. Reply to this thread if you can help with any of the above.

Thanks. 

52 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

For anyone who doesn't know, the Kingsley League is the North Devon League.

Where are you looking to base yourselves?

Was looking in and around the Callington area, I'm aware other leagues would be more suitable for the area but Kingsleys a lot less competitive for a team to start up and establish itself, do you have any suggestions regarding leagues to join? 

If you are based in the Callington area I would suggest the Duchy League as it is well run and organised. Other than that then the Plymouth and District League. The Kingsley League has seven teams and away games at Bude and Stratton would be classed as local derbies and there are also away games as far as Bideford.

5 hours ago, JamesLM said:

Looking to start a new team to play in the Kingsley league next season, need new players, coaches, volunteers to help with admin etc, anyone that has any experience in this your advice/ guidance would also be extremely welcome. Reply to this thread if you can help with any of the above.

Thanks. 

Have you a pitch in mind ?-It seems a lot of recruiting to do -I think you are up against it to form a new club from virtually nothing.

11 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Have you a pitch in mind ?-It seems a lot of recruiting to do -I think you are up against it to form a new club from virtually nothing.

I have been looking into a few pitch options, it is a lot to do but every club starts from nothing, the challenges involved make it more worthwhile.

James, I'm not sure what the current status is but St Anns Chapel had a team playing locally a few years ago so there could be a pitch there. I think Swingle Tree also played in Callington when they were in the Plymouth & District League but not sure where they played. Also there was Kelly Bray who were even in the Cornwall Senior Cup around 1999 I think.

13 minutes ago, Willow Tree said:

James, I'm not sure what the current status is but St Anns Chapel had a team playing locally a few years ago so there could be a pitch there. I think Swingle Tree also played in Callington when they were in the Plymouth & District League but not sure where they played. Also there was Kelly Bray who were even in the Cornwall Senior Cup around 1999 I think.

St Ann's pitch is one I've enquired about and would be my first choice, as far as I know the Gunnislake team are using it as a back up pitch but I have reason to believe it could be available to use 

5 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Your opening post is asking for new players - how many do you reckon you have lined up at the moment?

I have interest from 14 but some committed to other teams and work etc so it's hard to know if they'll be there when it comes it to it, would like to gather a squad of 20 ideally people that definitely want to play and can commit.

53 minutes ago, Richard Rundle said:

The Kingsley League is NOT the North Devon League, but an independent small league lying on the North Cornwall/North Devon border.

My apologies, I meant to say it's mostly North Cornwall/North Devon. I did check to make sure it wasn't the league than includes Clovelly and Lynton/Lynmouth

is this another player who can not get into his current team? grab a few 'outcasts' and make a new team and club up? why dont you just join a club which are already established and put your all into helping them go onto bigger and better things? far to easy nowadays to just start a new club and watch while other clubs around you crumble!

41 minutes ago, Sijames said:

is this another player who can not get into his current team? grab a few 'outcasts' and make a new team and club up? why dont you just join a club which are already established and put your all into helping them go onto bigger and better things? far to easy nowadays to just start a new club and watch while other clubs around you crumble!

Because it's something I've always wanted to do, it's easier to join an established team and turn up every weekend but why when I could try to achieve something I've always wanted to do? It's far too easy to forget about an aspiration and settle for the next best thing.

42 minutes ago, JENGLE said:

It's a challenge that would excite me as well JamesLM. What's not to like about starting a new team from scratch? It's something I've considered in the past, but something I wouldn't do now though.

Exactly why I want to give it a go now, I don't want to look back and regret not giving it a go, I don't know if it'll work out but I'm hoping to find people that can help and hopefully in time build a nice community team that goes on for a long time to come. Grassroots football needs new ventures like this I think.

A good starting point would be to get a pub/club involved. Somewhere to go back to after the game and a social venue to hold fundraising events. If the landlord/lady are football fans you might even get a shirt sponsor.

Most importantly, have you contacted the CCFA with you intentions? You would have to have the paperwork in by a certain date.

4 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

I formed a club last season - If there's any information you need, please don't hesitate to ask

Any information you have would be welcome, whereabouts is your team based and how did your first season go?

We are the New Inn Titans in division 5 of the Trelawny. We have won the league and are currently unbeaten P15 W15), we are also in the semi of our league cup, so we've done okay.  

1 hour ago, Dange'rous said:

We are the New Inn Titans in division 5 of the Trelawny. We have won the league and are currently unbeaten P15 W15), we are also in the semi of our league cup, so we've done okay.  

wow, successful first season then, how long did it take you to get everything together and set up, and how much did your first season cost you if don't mind me asking?

3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Don't ask James.........they're called the NIT's and have driven all before them. Won the title unbeaten, have yet to concede a goal and won the fair play award hands down! (Well OK I made the last two up but they done well!) 

Fewest goal conceded in junior football so far, and only two yellow cards (I carded one of my own players, whoops) so you're close

2 hours ago, JamesLM said:

wow, successful first season then, how long did it take you to get everything together and set up, and how much did your first season cost you if don't mind me asking?

It took us about a month (including charter standard). We are lucky to have a good team behind the scenes, managing to secure a good amount of sponsorship which covered pretty much all the costs.

The affiliation and league fees (inc. registration and cups) was around £300 all in if I can remember. Then you have to get footballs, training equipment, kit etc. So in total we spent about £2500 (training tops, polo tops, tracksuit tops etc included). Again, we secured sponsorship which covered a lot of our costs so we were very fortunate (thank you sponsors). All our kits are Nike, Nike balls, equipment etc so you could certainly do it for a lot cheaper.

Speak to Claire Summers or Richard Pallott at the Cornwall FA, also speak to your respected league that you'd like to enter. Do your research first. Bare in mind also that you can get grassroots funding specifically for setting up a new side

16 minutes ago, Dange'rous said:

Fewest goal conceded in junior football so far, and only two yellow cards (I carded one of my own players, whoops) so you're close

It took us about a month (including charter standard). We are lucky to have a good team behind the scenes, managing to secure a good amount of sponsorship which covered pretty much all the costs.

The affiliation and league fees (inc. registration and cups) was around £300 all in if I can remember. Then you have to get footballs, training equipment, kit etc. So in total we spent about £2500 (training tops, polo tops, tracksuit tops etc included). Again, we secured sponsorship which covered a lot of our costs so we were very fortunate (thank you sponsors). All our kits are Nike, Nike balls, equipment etc so you could certainly do it for a lot cheaper.

Speak to Claire Summers or Richard Pallott at the Cornwall FA, also speak to your respected league that you'd like to enter. Do your research first. Bare in mind also that you can get grassroots funding specifically for setting up a new side

Thanks, that sounds about what I worked out it'd cost, I've emailed Richard pallott but he's away at the moment so hopefully I'll hear back shortly, how many people do you have behind the scenes?

The positions we have at the moment:

President, treasurer, secretary (me), welfare officer (we have younsgters), FA Charter Standard coordinator (me), club development officer and then two honoury positions. Quite a few people but a big committee not only relieves pressure on everyone, but it also means more gets done

I'm sure you will be if you have enough people putting in the required amount of effort. Be interesting to see how this goes. Will you be posting regular updates on here as to how it's going? Always like to see how new teams and recently established clubs are doing.

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Hi James, does your avatar represent your proposed badge and strip? Very stylish, although having the Invisible Man in your team could lead to problems with referees!

Yes that's potentially how the kit will look hoping to have an ugly sponsor logo across the front though! 

30 minutes ago, JENGLE said:

I'm sure you will be if you have enough people putting in the required amount of effort. Be interesting to see how this goes. Will you be posting regular updates on here as to how it's going? Always like to see how new teams and recently established clubs are doing.

I hope so! And yes I'll be posting regular updates and questions and looking for help all the time I imagine, I was tempted to start a blog for the whole process in the hope that one day it helps someone else is my position to achieve their goals too. 

It's a big task James but a good one. I started a team three years ago, and we have had promotion, cup runs, players leaving and joining, good harmony, bad vibes with certain players, financial loss and gain, highs and lows. I had the same dream as you and it is a hard graft. If you start you must stay in for the long haul and be prepared for all that it will entail otherwise you will just be another new club that folded and we see this all too often. The financial side is the hardest part of it...getting reliable sponsors, making sure players subs are paid etc. At times you will be out of pocket. Getting a pub on board is a good thing, plus the football stratch cards for after games to rake in some extra cash. Players leaving and joining, being unsettled, not turning up when they say they will. Take all these things into account. 

Not trying to put u off but it's a lot to take on, not just as easy as starting a team then off you go. It's everything after that. Good luck though. 

Camborne Athletic, Camborne Town, Penwith Exiles and Real Saltash are fairly new. St Eval Spitfires have almost completed their first season.

On 05/05/2016 at 10:49, Soccer Follower said:

Newlyn Lions,Newbridge Athletic and Mabe all in recent years too.

and Falmouth DC

On 5/8/2016 at 22:46, Early Doors said:

If your looking in the St Ann's area  they used to go back to the "Tavistock inn" for food,decent as well!! Or maybe try the Rifle Vounteer. Get them on board and you may get sponsorship. Good luck with your venture. 

Thanks for the advice I was thinking about the Rifle Volunteer as it's pretty much behind the St Ann's pitch so if we played home games on that pitch it'd be ideal for a couple of drinks after and they have function room I believe for end of year/season celebrations and awards etc. I also like the name St Ann's Rifles FC. Of course it's all still very early on and a lot will most likely change.

Whereabouts is the pitch in St Ann's Chapel? Google Earth isn't very helpful and old CCFA directories only give it as George V Playing Field with no road name or postcode to go by.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:12, Willow Tree said:

Whereabouts is the pitch in St Ann's Chapel? Google Earth isn't very helpful and old CCFA directories only give it as George V Playing Field with no road name or postcode to go by.

On 5/11/2016 at 14:32, Soccer Follower said:

Remember seeing it off a minor road and with a sizeable slope

I don't recall a sizable slope? It's located Albert Rd, Saltash, Cornwall PL12 4EA, on google maps as St Ann's Play Park.

1 minute ago, Soccer Follower said:

St.Anns Chapel is between Callington and Gunnislake not in Saltash.

I was going to say the same thing. Albert Road doesn't even have a playing field

On 5/16/2016 at 10:07, Soccer Follower said:

St.Anns Chapel is between Callington and Gunnislake not in Saltash.

On 5/16/2016 at 10:09, Willow Tree said:

I was going to say the same thing. Albert Road doesn't even have a playing field

My bad, I just put into google maps and copied the address, didn't even think to check it!

Hope this map clears it up for anyone unsure!

St Ann's Park Map.png