Cornwall Football Forum

Getting ready for next season's law changes

Do you need educating?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. With the upcoming changes to the lawbook due next month (in time for the Euros), there are 94 scheduled changes. How do you plan on learning them?

• I'll be reading the book
    • I don't intend on learning them
    • I'd like to learn them, but I can't be bothered to read them
    • I'll just accept the referee's decision next season
  2. 2. How would be the best way for you to learn the laws?

• I'll just read the book
    • I'd like to be taught
    • I don't care about the laws
    • A quiz night
  3. 3. Would you be interested if an evening was set up where you could come along and talk with referees about the new laws and how they are going to affect us?

• Yes
    • No

Answer to questions one and two; reading Dange'rous's interpretation of old/new/explanation on the forum Discussion Board. Then if he gets it wrong we can blame him! Simples! As I'm well past playing, there would be no point in question three for me. I'm only interested in the laws so far as I can argue at the touch-line/bar until I can bore the opposition into submission.

P.S. I think that the more we can do for players, and especially managers, to explain the changes the better.

A copy needs to be sent out to all referees and then some sort of meeting needs to take place. Otherwise, referees will never learn them. A copy should be sent out to all club secretaries as well, although I doubt most will read them or send them out to their respective players.

There's plans in the pipeline for referee education :)

The new lawbook is available already - I've documented all the changes on this thread. The book is available at theifab.com. 

Hard-copy should be available soon. There's a few good changes like determining the end of a penalty.. But confusing ones such as penalising a player for being in an offside position in his/her own half. That will be hard for CAR's to grasp

It's good that you've taken time to post the changes on here, but not all referees read this forum. If they don't read this forum they won't be told of any changes in the laws. Maybe as there's so many changes it might be a good idea to issue every referee who registers a copy of the laws. 

Completely agree. I'm just a minion though, that's a CFA decision. I used to think you get a copy of the law book when you register.. I'm not sure. I hope you've re-registered ;)

I don't know why I bother sometimes... 210 views aswell

There's obviously a reason I'm asking the questions, if people can't be bothered to take three seconds to answer them, I certainly won't be trying to arrange anything in order to get the changes disseminated and understood.

8 hours ago, Anita said:

I haven't had a copy given to me since 2004. And I'm not re-registered, I'm not going to be either. 

Not another good official stepping down surly? So these new laws come into play on July 1st dangerous?

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

Not another good official stepping down surly? So these new laws come into play on July 1st dangerous?

They're in for the Euros :)

Dange'rous, I do wonder if a lot of the players only ever read the sub-forums relating to the league that they play in, leaving the top and bottom sections for aficionados (anoraks) like us. There are names that crop up regularly on Trelawny, Dutchy, Combo threads etc. Which are never seen out in the wilds of Announcements, Main Discussion Board or Non Cornish Football.

I don't generally approve of firing the same post onto multiple sub-forums, but on this occasion, maybe a signpost to encourage a few tickers to enter new territory might just spark some interest.

Realistically nobody reads the forum. A lot more needs to be done to spread the word. And that needs to come from the CCFA. Good effort from Dange'rous though when nobody would put the time and effort in to the work he's already done.

Without wishing to imply any criticism of the incumbents, is this not what the CCFA Referees officer and Education Committee should be doing; ensuring that officials and players are up to speed with all the new rules, regulations and, of course laws. An injection of (comparative) youth might just make it more relevant.

A job for you perhaps Dange'rous, give up the overalls and the "Thukka, thukka, thukka" of rota blades for a nice pinstriped suit and clipboard.

I'm just a self-dubbed educationalist (is that even a word)? Where I can help and educate, I'll try too.

As for the overalls in the bin and walking away from the "thukka, thukka, thukka"... I don't think the CCFA wages would cut it for me I'm afraid :( Plus, I can't see it as a being very adrenaline-fuelled job! I wasn't born for an office :ph34r:

The CCFA will be doing various workshops/roadshows etc for referees before the end of the season. My questions above are based on my questions that I posed at the Working Party Committee meeting 2 weeks ago