Cornwall Football Forum

Give Referee Abuse The Red Card

very interesting article! All of this does have to stop though, I have only heard this morning via a work colleague that Cornwall has lost another great official in Jamie Marles who has given up the job of the man in black (from what I've seen of him he had high tolerance levels!), something has to be done by the FA?

I've seen some instances before I moved down here when officials trailed a period of games with no interaction with players, just using the whistle and cards when needed and it actually worked! But not many were keen, I guess you could lose that key relationship which is needed in some games.

It's difficult Sijames. I think the main thing is trying to get players to change, which is easier said than done. Everyone wants to win but the abuse towards referees does not happen in rugby or cricket for example. Mr. Manning is the most laid back referee of all time, literally.

Jamie Marles is a fantastic referee, he was certainly one for the future (in terms of climbing up the ranks). 

Jamie's reasons for quitting refereeing hasn't got anything to do with the recent occurances that have grabbed the headlines. Nor has it got anything to do with abuse. I mean, Jamie can dish it out as well as the rest of them. That certainly isnt the reason that he's quit.

I won't speculate nor disclose what Jamie has said to me. It's not my place to do so. He has his reasons for quitting and they should be respected. Being quite a private person, I doubt he's interested in dishing them out on a forum.

For me, it's a massive loss of a very good official. All he wanted to do was progress and help others at the same time. I for one genuinely hope that Jamie thinks again about his decision and gets back in the middle.

If not, I'll buy all his kit and sign him on for Titans :smiley20:

What I do ask is that players, managers, supporters etc, everyone who attends a football match... Please, start showing respect to your officials. It's not easy refereeing a game, certainly not when you have some big decisions to make. Refereeing isn't worth the money that we get. Not a chance. Some times, I think "why do I do this for £18"? Some of the crap we get on a game by game basis seriously isnt cool. Let's relax and enjoy the game. 

On 29 April 2016 at 15:24, Dange'rous said:

Jamie Marles is a fantastic referee, he was certainly one for the future (in terms of climbing up the ranks). 

Jamie's reasons for quitting refereeing hasn't got anything to do with the recent occurances that have grabbed the headlines. Nor has it got anything to do with abuse. I mean, Jamie can dish it out as well as the rest of them. That certainly isnt the reason that he's quit.

I won't speculate nor disclose what Jamie has said to me. It's not my place to do so. He has his reasons for quitting and they should be respected. Being quite a private person, I doubt he's interested in dishing them out on a forum.

For me, it's a massive loss of a very good official. All he wanted to do was progress and help others at the same time. I for one genuinely hope that Jamie thinks again about his decision and gets back in the middle.

If not, I'll buy all his kit and sign him on for Titans :smiley20:

What I do ask is that players, managers, supporters etc, everyone who attends a football match... Please, start showing respect to your officials. It's not easy refereeing a game, certainly not when you have some big decisions to make. Refereeing isn't worth the money that we get. Not a chance. Some times, I think "why do I do this for £18"? Some of the crap we get on a game by game basis seriously isnt cool. Let's relax and enjoy the game. 

Fair point dangerous, one less official for clubs to rely on which is a shame I'm sure he didn't make this decision without good reason, just seemed strange considering his age and the good progress he was making?

i watched st just v st day yesterday in what is my preferred league (combination) and the official did a good job considering the amount of flak hurled his way mainly by the benches! I see you make many good posts and suggestions but will the county FA actually start to do anything about this? Could they send a 'secret rep' randomly around the county to keep an eye on games and players/management?dish out some fines afterwards which would make them all think twice not knowing each week if someone watching was from the FA or not!? Could the assessors who assess the referees not take on this role?£50 fine for clubs that breach misconduct from the benches?!

Yeah, you strike the nail on the head about Jamie. Not my place to say why he's quit, but it is a loss for Cornish football and the leagues outside of Cornwall because that's where he was heading.

The CCFA have put together a working party, for which myself and about 15 others are a part of, who are focussing on discipline. We've had our first meeting and have had many ideas on how to try and sort out the problems facing the game here in Cornwall. As soon as the CCFA have made their statement, I can discuss things further. What was said at the meeting currently has to stay within those walls.

There are officials that do go around to games and watch them.