Cornwall Football Forum

You're in charge - #3

Let's see how we get on with this one. Answers will be available tomorrow, this gives you guys some time to mull it over. Because there's a 24 hour period between questions and answers, I'll pop a few extra questions up.

Scenario 1 (360)

A young defender is having a nightmare debut. After he slices another clearance, his manager (who has used all his subs), tells you he wants to withdraw the player from the field of play and continue the game with 10 men. What would you do?

Scenario 2 (335)

The home side, three down after 20 minutes are raging. They have blamed your decisions for each goal. The captain and manager both say that unless you trade places with your fourth official, they'll walk off. What now?

Scenario 3

Later in a game, when you've booked a player for a reckless tackle, he loses control and starts storming off the pitch in protest. Just before he crosses the line, his manager signals that he'll substitute him. What now?

Scenario 4

Just before a through ball is played towards the away sides star striker, his marker deliberately barges him into an offside position. The striker reacts brilliantly, somehow regaining his balance and racing clear. What action do you take?

Scenario 5

An attack has broken down the right wing, the only defender near him at that time steps off the field of play just before the winger crosses the ball. As the winger crosses the ball in, the attacker appears to be in an offside position as the nearest defender to him is now behind him. What action do you take?

1 - Allow it, as long as the team is left with at least 7 players

2 - Let them walk off then caution them (the captain at least) for leaving the pitch without your permission

3 - Unless the player has been booked twice, or not committed another offence allow the substitution and say thank you that the decision has been taken out of your hands!

4 - Play advantage and book the offender when the ball goes dead

5 - Book the player for leaving the field of play without your permission (sometimes players, attackers in particular) stay behind the line or n the net while a move is in action but I would say this is cheating/trying to gain an advantage so book the player and award a free kick.

#1 - no problem, allow him to be subbed.

#2 - let them walk off

#3 - no problem for the substitution to be made

#4 - foul to the away team

# 5 - don't understand the question! I think I'm thick. But, if I think I know what you are saying, let play continue, no offside.

1. That's okay but he can't be allowed back on.

2. Let them go, abandon the game and report the offending team.

3. Let him be subbed if all subs haven't already been used. He hadn't left the pitch so he hasn't gone off without permission.

4. If the striker scores, goal. If not, bring it back for a FK to the attacking team; caution defender for ungentlemanly conduct (don't they call it something else now?).

5. Let play go on, then at the next break in play, caution the defender for leaving the pitch without permission.

1) No problem, let him take the lad off, some teams perform better with ten players. (Quietly hope they have a good welfare officer and coaching team to promote his ball skills and confidence).

2) Ask if they're happy for the team to play without support from the dugout, wave bye-bye and wish them "have a nice day" (nicely, no sarcasm now!). Call over their team Captain and advise him that he holds responsibility for management decisions (substitutions etc.).

3) Unless you feel the need to issue a second caution, or straight red for foul & abusive language/dissent etc. Let the substitution take place. Unless of course it's the same game as in scenario 1, in which case they've already used all their substitutes, remember?

4) Yeh, I guess Willow's got this one covered.

5) As 4 above (no, not the "Willow's got this one covered"), the "Play advantage and book the offender when the ball goes dead". Possibly with a free kick from where the defender transgressed.

1) As others have said allow him to leave the field. If the manager decided he wants to come back on then he should be allowed to as long as he gains your permission to re-enter the field of play (no substitution has taken place).

2) Allow them to leave an explain that if the team leave and fail to return the match will be abandoned and the facts reported to the FA and league.

3) Unless you want to caution again for dissent let the substitution take place.

4) If he barges him into an offside position before the ball is played then he should be flagged offside. But as there is no advantage go back for the original free kick for the barge and caution the player for Unsporting Behaviour.

5) Allow play to continue, he is now considered to be on the goal line and the goalkeeper now becomes the second last defender. At the next stoppage in play caution the player for leaving the field of play without permission (and if you want to be really horrible why not caution for re-entering too and then obviously a red for second caution able offence :SM_carton_y::SM_carton_y::SM_carton:  :D)

Okay guys, thanks for your comments. Some good ones there. Almost all correct aswell!

Scenario 1

Yes. If he really thinks that's the right way to manage the situation, let him go ahead. Teams have to start with 11 players (minimum 7), but if they want to reduce that number later on, they can. If the player refuses to walk though, you cannot force him: In those circumstances, restart with him still on the pitch.

Scenario 2

You always have the option of handing over to a colleague for fitness reasons, or if you suspect that some other issue has clouded your judgement. But this is most definitely not one of those situations. Tell them that if they refuse to continue, you will abandon the game and report the club to the authorities. It's a simple warning: if their actions cause the game to be called off, they can expect appropriate action taken against them.

Scenario 3

The manager made a sensible decision here: had the player actually crossed the line, it would have been a second yellow for leaving the field of play without permission - and therefore a red. But as it is, given that play was not live, it makes sense to allow him to be subbed, despite the extremely late notice.

Scenario 4

The defenders foul took place before the offside offence, so the striker cannot be declared offside - you always punish the first offence (or most serious). So, in the circumstances, you can react to the first offence by playing advantage, even though the striker is in an offside position when he takes control of the ball. Once the passage of play has concluded, show the defender a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

Scenario 5

The defender has deliberately left the field of play behind the goal-line. In law, he is now said to be positioned on the line itself. Therefore, he is still considered to be on the field of play (and active). So long as the striker isn't ahead of the second-last defender (presumably the goalkeeper in this situation, or a last ditch run by another defender) then he cannot be offside*. Once this phase of play has finished, you would then caution the defender for leaving the field without permission, although some caution for unsporting behaviour. Either wouldn't be incorrect.

*Normal offside conditions apply; is the player behind the ball etc.

I don't want to bore people with these so I'll do some more on Monday :)

In the 1970s when Falmouth Town were a good team, in one of their matches they were winning comfortably in a League Cup 2nd leg, they played almost half of that game with ten men. Someone went off injured and they didn't being on the sub (might have been Colin Chegwyn). I'm sure Mike Odgers knows the answer!

13 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

What's happened to your avitar Dange'rous, you look a touch off colour, if altogether more regal. Was the old one so out of date that nobody recognised you anymore, or does taking up the whistle bring with it a need for anonymity?

I got told off by the lads at Titans for having a photo of me in a Gwinear kit as my avatar. So I thought that instead of putting a ref badge on, I'd put my county logo on instead :) 

Itll take a little getting used to, but I think I suit blue B) ?

I also gob off too often to stay anonymous lol