Cornwall Football Forum

Law Changes 16/17 - Law 17 - The Corner Kick

17.1 Corner kick if kicked directly into own goal

Additional text
• A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents.

Explanation
Clarifies correct restart if a player scores an ‘own goal’ directly from a corner kick.

17.2 Ball must be stationary and then clearly move to be in play

New text
• The ball must be placed in the corner area.
• The ball must be stationary and is kicked by a player of the attacking team
• The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves (…).

Explanation
• Area replaces ‘arc’
• Clarifies that the ball must be stationary
• Reflects change to other Laws, but which is especially important for corner kicks to stop a player just touching the ball then unsportingly pretending that the corner has not been taken

8 hours ago, Dange'rous said:

17.1 Corner kick if kicked directly into own goal

Additional text
• A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents.

Explanation
Clarifies correct restart if a player scores an ‘own goal’ directly from a corner kick.

Has anyone ever done that? I've seen a keeper kick the length of a pitch, but diagonally from a corner, in totally the wrong direction? That is one hell of a miss-kick!

5 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Has anyone ever done that? I've seen a keeper kick the length of a pitch, but diagonally from a corner, in totally the wrong direction? That is one hell of a miss-kick!

Have you ever played at Pendeen?!! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I've seen a corner where everyone but the attacking goalie is in the penalty area, corner taker aimed the ball towards the halfway line and picked the keeper out. Maybe with a gust of wind or in constant windy conditions on a small-ish pitch, it's possible.

Bare in mind the LOTG apply to all competitive football, at all ages. So in youth football, pitches are smaller so it could have more chance of occurring. I personally haven't seen it happen before, even from online clips. But all eventualities must be covered :)